Lifestyle Changes | Taking Stock

The photos have nothing to do with the subject of this post but I thought you'd like something pretty to look at while I waffle on!



After a lot of thought I've decided to change how I record and assess my progress towards my lifestyle goals. The goals themselves haven't changed but I've reached the stage where I've given four of my goals (home, finance, community, positive outlook) the maximum rating, and another four goals (time management, healthy eating, living in the moment, losing attachment to material things) are all only one point away from the maximum. Of the two remaining goals, work on the garden is in hand and the rating will soon be amended to reflect that, and the final goal of being active is a work in progress.

After I'd finished reviewing my goals last month I did stop to wonder what it was that was stopping me awarding maximum marks on most of the goals. I've been feeling increasingly contented with life even with all the worries as a result of the pandemic and the lockdown and my days have settled into a rhythm that I'm happy with, and everything that needs to be done is getting done on time. The pandemic has put the decluttering project on hold but I have identified and segregated everything that has to go and will deal with it as soon as circumstances permit. My social life has inevitably changed but I have regular contact with family and friends, and have continued with the choir and the quizzes. I'll still monitor my ten sub goals but won't write a monthly post about progress. I achieved what I wanted from doing the monthly reviews and habits have been formed through focusing on certain aspects of life. 



There is one major part of my life that now needs my focus - losing weight and being active. I've struggled with this for a long time and although, for the majority of the time,  I do eat healthily I need to focus on developing the proper habits that enable me to lose weight and increase activity levels. I want this to be a lifestyle change, not a quick fix diet so I am aiming to lose at least one pound every week through a combination of calorie counting and restricted hours eating. I already eat a relatively restricted diet as a result of food allergies so I have no plans to add to that list of restricted foods except that I will focus on reducing the amount of sugar in my diet as I think that is contributing to diverticulitis flare ups. On the exercise front I want to gradually increase to follow the pattern of doing some form of exercise on two consecutive days, followed by a rest day. I'll still continue to do a selection of the knee strengthening exercises every day. 

I'm not setting targets in terms of how much weight I want to lose but more in terms of what I am able to achieve. My first target is to be able to walk up and down stairs properly as I currently take one step at a time, always leading with the same leg. I'll note my progress in my weekly reflections post - this is something I want to review more frequently than my previous monthly update because I need to correct any slips as quickly as possible.

Comments

  1. I look forward to seeing your progress. You have shown determination in your goals so I know you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, I appreciate your kind words x

      Delete
  2. Hm, I resemble that statement about taking the stairs one step at a time, always leading with the same leg! I only have a few steps, from the garden to the house; all the more reason why I should be able to manage them more easily! I, too, need to focus on my health spoke, especially after my sister's health scare. Good luck on the changes you are planning to make. I look forward to reading the updates. Lovely photos, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the steps thing that bothers me the most. It affects going out as well, even stepping up and down from pavements to cross the road, so everything is focused around improving that one thing.

      Thank you, and good luck to you too. x

      Delete
  3. I think it all sounds really good and I know you can make a difference. All the best.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I've been searching through your recipes to get me started 😊 xx

      Delete
  4. It's hard work, but oh the joy when you step on the scales and see the downward trend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have to force myself to only weigh once a week. Let's hope it's still heading downward when I weigh on Saturday.

      Delete
  5. I no longer weigh myself. I go by how my clothes fit, how well I can do what I want to do and how I feel. I've dieted most of my life, up and down with weight and have never been happy with my weight. Now I'm focusing more on overall contentment.

    I think focusing on goals such as walking up and down the stairs is a great goal to have! I know you'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken my measurements and in the future will go by how I feel and how clothes fit but to start with I want to be completely sure that the changes I have made are working and that I'm losing weight. I also need to be able to let my doctor know how much I've lost.

      Thanks Sharon, I finding that having a realistic goal that I will definitely benefit from motivates me more than aiming for X amount of weight loss. xx

      Delete
  6. A pound a week sounds challenging. I tend to eat according to an intermittent fasting schedule just as a natural habit. I will enjoy anything you care to share on your food and exercise habits. I focus my efforts more on exercises I do daily to improve strength and mobility and balance. The idea of frailty in age scares me. Stairs are an excellent functional exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked out my daily calories based on the NHS site advice and am following the daily amount which is supposed to give a one pound loss a week. It worked for me before and I lost three stones but stupidly didn't keep going!

      I'm trying to follow a restricted eating pattern, so only eating between say 10am and 5pm. I will gradually move towards that but it all depends on how it impacts on my migraines and health in general.

      Delete
    2. It's good to be flexible in your planning :)

      Delete
    3. I'm less likely to get bored if I can be flexible 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts