Garden Update No 3

There's not much change this time as Danielle spent most of her time potting up the cosmos and osteospurmum, and tidying up some of my other pots. She was only here for an hour this time.



I just made use of the pots and single bag of compost I had stored in the garage for this year, so it's not quite what I want in the long term but it gives me the chance to work out what I do want. 



We also discussed my choice of plants for the two bigger beds. I have planned what I want but although I have a picture in my mind of what I want it to look like, I can't get a clear vision of how the chosen plants will work together in terms of colour and I'm not  very good at visualising them together in the space. The conditions in my garden are right for the selection I've chosen but to save any expensive mistakes I'm only buying a few of the bigger plants this year. Once they're in I will have something to actually see and can move forward from there. 

So orders will be soon be placed for a standard rose, a half standard rose and a clematis (still have to choose them), a minarette gala apple tree (provided it is a self pollinator, if not I'll choose a different variety), and a Victoria plum minarette tree. I also have some bigger pots which can be planted up with some smaller shrubs so it's time to start choosing the varieties for those as well. 

Comments

  1. SO exciting and how wonderful to be able to plan the whole lot together, even if the realising of those plans takes a bit longer.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're going to take even longer! I've had a rethink and my new idea has taken away any lingering doubts - I know I'm on the right track now. One of the biggest beds (the one I can't see from the house) will be set aside for all the fruiting plants (think very very mini orchard!) and the flowers will be in the parts I can see from the house.

      Delete
    2. It's a biggie and changing your mind is a sign you're getting there, isn't it. I like the changes - very sensible all round.
      xx

      Delete
    3. I'm definitely on the right track now. If I can grow some of my own fruit I'll be saving money in the long term and it also helps solve the issue of relying on the supermarket.

      Delete
  2. The potted plants look nice and add a pop of color with their flowers. You might find yourself with some volunteer osteospermum, next year, as those things seem to self-seed, everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be great if that happens. I have osteospurmum in mind for the front of the house under the windows to replace the hebes and lavender, both of which are outgrowing their space. My friend will have those for her garden so they won't be wasted.

      Delete
  3. Yeah that Danielle got your Cosmos planted up - now you get to enjoy them. I am sure once settle into their pots, they will give your some glorious colour & cheer. Has Danielle recommended a fertilizing/watering scheme for the pots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've discussed the watering/feeding etc but no definite conclusions reached. I'll continue as usual for now and see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. It looks like things are coming along well. I can re-imagine indoor spaces and transforming them, but I cannot picture in my mind what plants will look like in a garden. I hope yours turns out even better than you imagine it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same. Imagining changes inside the house are no problem at all but outside spaces defeat me!

      Thanks Susanne, I've finally settled on one area - see tomorrow's post.

      Delete
  5. I love cosmos. Happy reminders of autumn in Japan. Glad to hear everything has clicked now - not surprised you are so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a taster ... next year there'll be loads more cosmos 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts