Garden Update No 8

M is officially brilliant! Yesterday was bulb planting day and, within a couple of hours (minus the time we spent chatting!) she had them all been planted ... and there were a lot of them! M gets excited about bulbs - I listened to her planting ideas and gave her free rein to do what she wanted provided she made sure to fill at least one of the large pot entirely with daffodils.

I also said that I'd like some of the bulbs in the borders, clumps of daffodils maybe, so M suggested that she plant them in the plastic pots that new plants arrive in and then plant that pot in the soil. After the bulbs have flowered the pot can be lifted out of the soil to be replaced by annuals and the pot of bulbs can be placed to one side to die back. We're trying it like that for this year but it is what she does in her own garden, and I know it is possible to buy the proper planting baskets to do this, although I'll stick to the freebie pots if they work. Anyway, there's been planting in sunken pots, some more in the soil amongst the new shrubs, and in six big and three small terracotta planters nearer the house.

There aren't any photos. The spring colour, the combination of bulbs in pots and soil will be a surprise for me, which I'll share with you as they bloom.

Most of the shrubs in pots are ready to be moved to bigger pots and I was originally planning for that to be done yesterday but changed my mind as none of the empty pots are really big enough for the job. I need, honestly it's a need not a want, to look round for some bigger pots ... a trip to the garden centre has been planned. So repotting the shrubs is a job for another day.

We haven't booked another visit. M doesn't want to just make work and it's all looking good at the moment. There are still some plants on order so we've left it that I'll phone her when the fruit trees are despatched to arrange the next visit. There are some other plants on order but I don't think they'll be sent until the end of February, and of course there's still the repotting to be done once I find some bigger pots.

My 'homework' is to look at possibilities for ground cover planting for the front garden. It's looking tidy but just a bit bland and I'd like some drought tolerant colour out there.  Any ideas?

Comments

  1. Good morning Eileen, Glad you've found a good gardener. Love the bulbs in pots idea... I might try that. Ideas for drought tolerant plants ...... in my own very dry front garden I've had white convolvulus, lavender, iris, white annual begonia, pelargonium,allium,eponymous, cordyline, pyracantha. Basically look for silver leaf plants, plants with thick, fleshy or hairy leaves.Iris does well as it like its rhizome baking on the surface of the soil. All Spring bulbs have done well out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Euonymus 😆 🤣 😂

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the suggestions Lynn. I'm edging towards something like hens and chickens following a suggestion by my neighbour. I'll have a look for silver leaf plants and see if there's any I fancy.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure if hens and chickens like being outside in the winter.

      Delete
    4. Oh, that won't work then. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. Hello Eileen from another Eileen. I'm not a gardener but I do love daffodils. I'll look forward to seeing your garden come to life over the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen ... great name 😊

      I'm slowly learning about plants but am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. This is the hardest part for me now as I have to wait for things to grow before deciding what else I can fit in.

      Delete
  3. M sounds brilliant & such a find for your gardening needs. There's so much to hope for this coming spring & those pots of spring flowers will certainly herald that hope in.

    On a side note, I believe you & Lady Ella both recommended The Repair Shop - I'm happy to report I have found on one of our channels! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a treasure!

      Yes, the Repair Shop is one of my favourite programmes. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Pleased to read all this. Has your neighbour also taken M on? And if so, are they pleased? Perhaps in the long run Danielle did you a favour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, and yes. My neighbour is happy and I definitely am. Everything about this arrangement is better ... and much cheaper!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of burying the pots of bulbs! So glad that M is turning out to be the gardener you want. As for drought tolerant plants, I have Dusty Miller (Jacobaea maritima), with silver gray foliage and yellow flowers, growing in my front garden, along with various types of succulents. Not sure how they will take your winter, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea isn't it, and this gives me double use of the space which is a bonus in my small garden.

      Thanks for the plant suggestions. I've added them to the list but I think the winter temperatures may be the problem. The back garden is enclosed and quite sheltered but the front garden is completely open.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts