Wednesday

Well it's supposed to be a sunny day today but I'm in two minds what to. On the one hand it'd be lovely to get out for a drive and to take some photos, but on the other hand I'm on a roll preparing the presentation for the family and don't want to lose the momentum. I can't really understand why, but the thought of doing a bit of both unsettles me ... very strange, so it'll have to be one or the other! Decisions, decisions!

I spent some time chatting to my sister yesterday, hoping she had some idea when a certain article appeared in the local newspaper but she wasn't able to help. I phoned the Records Office and spoke to a lovely helpful lady there who confirmed that the archived newspapers are available on fiche and access isn't restricted at present. Apparently where it says access to documents is restricted they mean that you now have to book your place one week in advance, everyone is restricted to one visit a week and you can only order 6 sets of material to use during that visit. Usually you can just pop in and can 'follow' your research through as many documents as is needed, but this new arrangement suits me just fine. I've booked my place for next week and have asked to view the archives of the local newspaper to see if I can find the article in question. I'm waiting for confirmation as I'll need access to the viewer and printer so it'll depend on whether it is already booked out for that day ... fingers crossed!

I have the entire family tree presentation mapped out. I'm using Powerpoint to create a slide show and so far have created a draft of every slide. I now have to make it look more interesting with a consistent style, add the transition instructions, and check some of the historical dates, and then I'll be ready to show the family. This is just the history of my maternal grandmother's line, which is the family we all grew up knowing as family, but if it goes well and assuming the others are interested I will be able to do the same for my maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother's lines. I've spoken to some of my family and so far everyone I've spoken to is interested to see the presentation. I still have others to invite and then it'll be the nightmare task of arranging a date and time that's acceptable to everyone. 

I discovered that the Drama channel on UKTV Play currently has all the episodes of series one of the original All Creatures Great And Small starring Christopher Timothy and Robert Hardy on catch-up, so plan to start binge watching that this evening (and may give up on the new series as I don't like how they have altered the character of Tristan!!). I'm a bit late to the game so there are only 11 days left to be able to view episode one if anyone else is interested.

Comments

  1. Fingers crossed that your appointment works out for you. It sounds as if it is all going very well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for confirmation so am keeping my fingers crossed. I need access to a specific viewer and printer so it all depends on the availability on the day I've requested.

      Delete
  2. Hello again!
    If it was me I’d carry on the the tree. This really is quite a task you’ve set yourself so even if you spend today checking and double checking it certainly won’t be time wasted.
    But there again you could spend the day binge watching - tea and biscuits at the ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to carry on the with family tree. I'm really enjoying myself and also want to get this presentation ready while my family still show some interest!!

      Binge watching is this evening's treat.

      Delete
  3. That's good that you are able to have access to the records and documents you need. I hope it works out well. It certainly sounds like you've done a lot of work on presenting the family tree to the family! I hope they appreciate the work you've put into it. I'm glad you are having a sunny day and I hope you have a fun day no matter how you decide to spend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to hear that they have reopened so even if I can't have my chosen date, I will be able to continue this particular avenue of research without too much delay.

      From talking to some of them, I don't think they have any idea how much time and effort goes into the research. I'm looking forward to sharing it with them and as long as they enjoy the presentation, it'll be worth it.

      Delete
  4. You are indeed fortunate to have such a source of information close by as you continue to research the family. I saw that we, on this side of the pond, are going to be treated to the new release of All Creatures Great & Small in the coming new year on Masterpiece (PBS).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The records office used to be in Trowbridge but when they built the new super duper building to house the historical county records it was relocated to Chippenham, about 11 miles away. I don't use it as much as I used to because so many of the births, deaths, marriage records are available via the big genealogy sites, but it does provide so many other documents, maps, newspapers and photos that it's worth a visit.

      I hope you enjoy ACGAS.

      Delete
  5. You sound so very organised with the family tree! I got to a point where I got stumped. Obviously it isn't easy for me to get hold of any records as I'm thousands of miles away lol. Perhaps one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself stumped regularly but it's much easier now so many historical records are available online, and more are digitalised every year. Next year will be interesting as it's time to start searching in the American records so when I renew my Ancestry subscription in January I will need to upgrade to 'Worldwide' access.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts