Wednesday

I spent this morning listening to the Nutrition Club online and doing a bit more tidying in the garden.

The Nutrition Club focused on suggestions for non-perishable foods to keep in your larder so you always have the basics in stock to make a meal if you can't get to the shops for any reason - stock levels obviously depend on how long each item can be kept. This is one aspect of life that I have sorted out so I won't be making any changes but was pleased that, with one exception, I already keep a stock of the suggested foodstuffs. The suggested list, is dried and canned pulses, nut butters, dehydrated or canned fruit and veg, canned or bottled fish, nuts and seeds, grains, herbs and spices, non dairy milks, and oils. The one exception is the inclusion of rice cakes on the list, which I don't eat so won't be making any changes in that respect. Although it was mentioned briefly, this session didn't cover the basics that could be kept in a freezer. I rely on my freezer a lot but I think I have things under control so I'm not too worried.

It was dry this morning so I spent about an hour tidying up the newly planted patio pots. This mostly involved removing the sticky labels, which I'd forgotten to do before M was here. I haven't finished yet but it was a bit too cold to stay out there for long - there's no sun to speak of today but it wouldn't reach the back of the house until later anyway. I'll finish it off tomorrow and sweep the patio again, and that'll be it for now. 

I fitted in a flying visit to the supermarket as I was out of bread. Of course, I forgot my shopping list so bought everything I could remember but now I'm home and have checked, I have forgotten some essentials so another trip is needed. That'll be a task for tomorrow. I'm planning to be out and about to take some photos so will call in for the rest of the shopping on the way home.

Tonight is the Zoom meeting with my cousin which I'm really looking forward to and if it goes well and we have plenty to chat about, I'll have to miss tonight's episode of The Great British Sewing Bee. I can watch it on iPlayer tomorrow instead so it's not a problem.

Bless asked for a photo of my new blanket, so here it is. My sister chose the pattern when she decided to knit the blanket rather than crochet it so I wasn't sure what to expect, except I knew she was keeping the rippled edging that I wanted. I do love it. It still has to be washed but it's huge so I'll have to work out how I'm going to get it dry. 

Comments

  1. That blanket's edge is quite pretty. It sounds like you are feeling more 7 more comfortable with shopping in person & that can only be a good thing. The survey in Ontario says over 65% of people aged 39+ are very stressed about returning to "normal" life after this lockdown is eased (in 3 stages).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling more comfortable about doing my own shopping although I am being very selective about the times I choose and I'd still abandon the idea if I thought the store was too busy. That's quite a high percentage isn't it? I can't see that 'normal' life will ever be what we used to know. Too many stores are closing as a result of the lockdown and so much retail seems to now be handled online. As for social lives, I don't know anyone who is keen on resuming the type of social life they enjoyed before - like they say, there are too many unknowns and there is no way of knowing whether others are vaccinated or just what the risk level is in any situation.

      Delete
  2. Your blanket is lovely and I do like the wavy edge. I'm sure the online meeting with your cousin will be very interesting. I too look forward to the Sewing Bee and record it if it clashes with something else that hubby wants to watch. Looks like the weather is set to improve and we're all looking forward to some nice warm and sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my cousin is a chatty person so that the evening flows easily. The sewing bee will be pleasant viewing for tomorrow night instead.

      After a cold start to the day it's now sunny and it's warming up nicely - it looks like the sunny days have arrived!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous blanket!! I'm sure your sister really loves you. I love crocheting and also made a blanket for my dear sister, I told her that it's my way of hugging her when we can't be together.
    Have a nice evening with your cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a wonderful sentiment. Your sister is so lucky. I love mine and especially love that my sister made it for me - even though she originally agreed to make it because she was bored during lockdown, it was definitely a labour of love to complete it.

      Delete
  4. The blanket is very beautiful.Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blanket! It is so pretty! I really like that design.

    A well stocked larder (or pantry) is a good thing. I try to keep at least two weeks worth of food in my cupboards at all times. Mostly in case there are major earthquakes and grocery stores might be damaged, etc. Shelf-stable food that doesn't rely on electricity to keep them fresh, because, again, in a major earthquake, we might not have electricity to run the fridge or freezer. I stocked up on lots of canned goods during the pandemic, which will now have to be incorporated into daily meals to be used before they become too out of date. But, I will replace the items to make sure I have a fully stocked pantry.

    I hope your Zoom call with your cousin goes well and you have a lovely rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the design to. Although she chose it, she knows me well and it's the sort of thing I love.

      The reason behind the need to keep a well stocked larder was that so many people have said they have difficulties getting the foodstuffs they want when they want them ... to do with substitutions on deliveries and low stock levels in store. I was surprised to hear that so it seems that I may just have been lucky with my deliveries lately. I don't have the earthquake threat that you do, but Mum brought us up to know about keeping a stock of the basics and learning some recipes/ideas for creating a meal from what's available in the cupboards. I've been keeping a slightly higher stock level than normal because of the difficulties getting a delivery slot, but that's changing so I will run my stocks down to the usual level again.

      The Zoom call was good but also difficult. She wanted to know lots of detail about myself, my siblings and cousins but, although I was comfortable passing on general information about every one and giving more detail on myself and my life, all the others have their right to privacy and they are not my stories to tell. I just moved the conversation on to the previous generations and started going through the details of the previous generations.

      Delete
  6. That blanket looks quite cuddly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts