Saturday 17th December

351/365: I can't remember what this plant is called ... it has these colours all year round
 

Every day seems to be a good day lately and yesterday was no exception. There was nothing urgent to do as far as housework was concerned so I ordered the bread-maker I want (delivery on Sunday) and then made a start on the family tree.

Ancestry regularly gives hint of possible connections to the people in your family tree and I have been very lax about keeping on top of them, so I had 2723 hints to sort through! They all need to be checked thoroughly so progress is slow but I made a start and have added additional information to the people in my tree, either additional official documents, photos from other family trees, newspaper cuttings, and suggestions of parents, siblings, and/or children. I worked on the tree for most of the morning and still have well over 2500 hints still to process ... that should keep me out of mischief for a while!

I received confirmation from the garage door company and I'm glad I read through the document properly as it seems I have to clear a space of 3 metres inside the existing door otherwise I will be charged an additional £100 minimum. I have no idea how I will manage this! Obviously I will ask neighbour S to help but I went out to measure up this afternoon and can't see how there is enough space to achieve this. I suppose some of the stuff will have to be moved outside temporarily (garden furniture and empty pots), the freezer will have to be moved, and both storage racks. It all seems a bit excessive but I don't want to pay the extra money so it'll have to be sorted. Anyway I can't worry about it now so it's a job for the first week of January! 

I'm expecting it to be another quiet day today. Again, I don't have anything planned and there is nothing that urgently needs my attention so I will probably carry on with the family tree with a bit of reading and piano playing thrown into the mix.

Comments

  1. That does seem a bit excessive. When I had my garage door done, there was no such requirement and they just moved a few things further in and then moved them back afterwards. Would it be worth checking with them as few people have a completely clear garage and three metres is a lot of space. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just spoken to neighbour S and he thinks it's excessive - 3 MTRS is over half the length of the garage. He thinks they probably mean 3 FT so I will query it on Monday. xx

      Delete
    2. Very wise. I bet it means three feet too. xx

      Delete
    3. Fingers crossed - 3 feet will be a lot easier than 3 metres! xx

      Delete
  2. I think the plant might be Ragged Robin, although not sure of the proper name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you thinking of Photinia? It's not that but I can't find the proper name at the moment!

      Delete
  3. Checking all those ancestry hints sounds like a big project! Sounds like you'll be busy! I hope S and maybe one of your nephews will be able to clear the space the garage door people want cleared. It sounds like they will find any excuse to charge people more for any project, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big project though not quite as bad as you may think. There will be lots of duplicates and others that I can eliminate very quickly. I'm only interested in recording my own direct lines of ancestry and lots of the hints will relate to the in-laws of cousins etc., so people who are not related to me and which can be discarded straight away

      I asked S this morning and he will help me with the garage ... see my response to Joy above .... It may not need as much moving as they are suggesting but S said we can get it cleared as necessary after Christmas. I'm determined to avoid an extra charge!

      Delete
  4. hi Eileen, you got me thinking again about the plant, beautiful btw.
    My sister is big into geneology, i will check her site if i have links to England. The English relatives i have are all my husbands and my daughter in laws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plant in today's photo is Coprosma City Knights. I'm still looking for the other one

      I find genealogy totally fascinating. It'll be interesting to hear where your English relatives originate from. I know some of my ancestors relocated to the USA, Canada and Australia but I haven't done much work on tracing any of those yet.

      Delete
    2. Both my husband and I and for that matter also my daughter in law, came to Canada as young adults, so most our relatives are in the old country. surnames of my English in laws are Chisholme, Mitchell, Mootham, Brown and Dempsey. My sister her website is https://www.familieherbert.nl

      Delete
    3. Are you originally from The Netherlands? I've tried to look at your sister's website but can't get the English translation to work so will try again later. Thanks for sending it anyway.

      Delete
    4. ha! it was hard to find this comment ( lol the joys of blogging i guess, remembering who said what and where) I will ask my sister about the English translator, i know she did work on that to make it happen. Yes i grew up in the Netherlands. I will also ask her about genealogy connection between the two countries. I grew up close to Hoek van Holland, very close to England one could say, but in my ancestry there seems to be hardly any English

      Delete
    5. I don't think we have any connection with the Netherlands but I find all genealogy fascinating. I'm always interest in just how much people moved around and moved from country to country.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts