Saturday 10th December

344/365: frosty salvia leaves

The frost didn't clear yesterday and there were still patches of it to be seen on the parts of the garden behind the garage around four o'clock yesterday afternoon. I'm glad I didn't have to go out at all ... my oodie is keeping me warm and cosy and after the initial burst of heat from the central heating to banish the chill, I am able to manage without heating for the rest of the day. It'll be even better when I invest in some fleece lined leggings or tights, which I've been reliably informed (by one of the book group ladies) are available in Primark. The nearest store is in Bath so I feel another shopping trip in the near future, probably next week now as weekend shopping in Bath at this time of year is best avoided!

I've had to rack my brains to think what I did yesterday! I slept for a good part of the day as I didn't manage any sleep at all the previous night, but I did tune in to the new online calligraphy class and now have some practice to do before next week. It's going right back to basics but that's not a bad thing, so we are starting with practice of the 'foundation hand' and have to work on the various pen strokes which combine to form the individual letters. I enjoyed the class but I suppose the real test will be whether I actually make the time to do the practice! 

This morning I'm expecting the people who responded to two of my adverts to collect the items I've put by for them. S will also be round to finish off a couple of things and I have a bit more sorting and organising I want to do once S has finished. It's forecast to be bright and sunny but cold, very cold, so after lunch I'm planning to wander over to the canal to take some photos ... I'll take my camera and hope it behaves itself, but if not I'll have my phone as a back up.

Comments

  1. Your frosty Salvia leaves look quite stunning. On parts of Dartmoor it was down to minus 7 last night, I know it felt very cold and now we have had snow. Keep cosy and warm. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Minus 7 ... now that is cold! Are you snowed in or will you be if there is more snowfall?

      I abandoned plans to walk over to the canal. The frost hasn't completely cleared and it's slippery underfoot so I decided to stay in the warm and read instead. Hope you're keeping warm xx

      Delete
  2. My youngest has the fleece lined leggings from primark and absolutely loves them. I will say though that sizing wise they come up small. She is 12 years old and very skinny and hers are a size small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's useful to know. I doubt they'll fit me so I'll look online for alternatives before I trail all the way to Bath. xx

      Delete
  3. Ah i actually did not realize you are writing from England, close to Bath i presume. We have relatives close to there. I will ask them about heating the house, i think you all do much better that way then us North Americans (a generalization)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I live near Trowbridge, about 12 miles away from Bath.

      Houses in the UK are designed to keep the heat in and mine is well insulated. This year with the energy costs being so high I'm focusing on heating the person rather than the house. So far it's working but this is our first bout of really cold weather so I'll see how it goes! xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful frosty photo. I love taking frost photos. I never realised how detailed frost is until I took the time to look properly at it. My husband swears by fleece lined trousers. In fact, he was regretting not wearing his when we visited the lakeshore today! I haven't found any for me. I usually wear long underwear. Keeps me quite toasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'd planned to do some close ups of the frost but we have snow now so it'll have to wait! I've ordered some fleece lined leggings and will see how I get on with them. I used to have thermal long undies and they always kept me warm so that's another option.

      Delete
  5. The frosty leaves look lovely! We are supposed to go down to a low of 36F on Monday night - I wonder if we'll get some frost? Sounds like your oodie was a very good investment! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like the frost at this time of year, although I admit I like it better when I don't have to go out! Do you get frost in California? Yes, the oodie was a very good investment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts