Wednesday 28th December

362/365: poinsettia

I was supposed to have a personal training session this morning but we have cancelled it to be on the safe side ... Amy is pregnant and has a heavy cold and I still have a couple of days to go to be sure that I haven't caught Covid, so it was the sensible decision. I will do some exercises here to make up for missing the session. There's no chance of going out for a walk as the forecast is for rain all day but if there is a chance of a break in the rainfall I'll wander over to the canal.
 
There's nothing I want to watch on TV today so will switch to iPlayer and catch up on the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures. I watch these every year and always find them interesting, and probably more so this time as this year's series of lectures is about forensic science. 

Apart from that I'll do some more piano practice ... progress is slow, but even after two days there is progress and, more importantly, I'm enjoying myself. I know it's early days but I am liking the discipline of resuming daily practice and a comment from Mary-Lou yesterday has prompted me to make a decision about resuming weekly lessons. I need to be clear in my own mind what I want to achieve from the lessons and once I have decided on that I'll be able to determine whether to resume learning with C or whether to look for another teacher. Maybe it will be better to look for someone local so I can have face-to-face lessons?

I do want regular music in my life again, I know that much. So as well as deciding about the piano lessons, I'm planning to start back at the choir again. This is the same choir I used to go to and I have two options to choose from, either a Monday night or a Thursday morning, and at the moment the morning sessions are the preferred option. However, my main aim is to stick to a slower pace of life which I know deep down suits me best so I will have to sort out my priorities before I rush into it so I need to sit down with a planner and see how everything I want to do all fits in to a normal week ... a task for this afternoon maybe?

Comments

  1. I really like your photo of the poinsettia!
    It sounds like you are managing to keep yourself busy even if the social get togethers are on hold for now and the rain is preventing you from going for a walk. It also sounds like you are getting ready to resume piano lessons and join a choir. I'm looking forward to see what you are planning for 2023. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I have plenty of things to do, watch, or listen to so have no problems keeping myself amused during this self imposed isolation. I did get out for a short walk as the rain was not as bad as the forecast suggested.

      I am definitely wanting to make music more of a focus in my life so will be looking to get that started up again during January if I can. I'm currently brainstorming all the things I'd like to achieve in 2023 but am at a very early stage in the process. xx

      Delete
  2. Please remember to keep some time aside to pop round and check progress at 43 now and again when filling in your planner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, time with friends and family is at the top of the list ... and your name is on the list! xx

      Delete
  3. I think you & Amy being cautious with each other's health is a wise decision. Colds can be hard on the body, in spite of being "common". There's nothing on TV this side of the pond, but I believe intentional so as to get people to buy subscriptions to things like Netflix, Prime, etc. I hear you about taking lessons just for your own goals of improvement. Even when I decided I did not want to show my horse, I continued with lessons so as to improve myself & therefore my enjoyment. My friends just did not get it & believed I was "wasting" the money. That's ok, I did get it. :) Hope the weather is nice enough for a saunter outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed in the Christmas TV offerings this year but at least the poor selection has prompted me to amuse myself in other ways and has led to me tackling a new piece on the piano. Continuing with lessons if for exactly the same reason as you ... I want to improve and need specific instruction on aspects of piano technique so a teacher is the best way to achieve that. I think I may have found a possibility so will call when they reopen in the new year.

      I did manage a short walk today but was glad to get back home ... too cold for me! xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely photo. Sorry you missed the training session but as you say, better safe than sorry. It's good that you've decided about the music. If it brings you joy, do it, if it doesn't stop. I'm not a social person and I find it keeps me less anxious if I limit things. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I did some exercises here so have at least done some exercise today. I still need to decide what it is I want to achieve on the piano but am sure that lessons are the right way to go and think I may have found someone local ... it's looking promising. xx

      Delete
  5. I think you are right about Amy. In fact, a bad cold can be worse that a mild Covid so it's best to be careful and avoid infection if possible.
    I think a face to face would suit better than online. There's a more immediate quality and complete experience. Good luck with finding somewhere.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of sickness about and it all seems worse than in previous years. This number of covid cases is scary so I am continuing to isolate and there's no way I want to put Amy at any risk. I did some exercises at home instead and will see her next week, all being well.

      I may have found a teacher offering face to face lessons at a decent price but he is away until the new year so can't move that forward until next week. I feel quite positive about it though although I feel a little guilty about C! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts