Lifestyle Goals: Monthly Review for October 2019

At the start of May 2019 I decided to change the way I want to monitor my short and medium term goals, choosing to adopt Bless' approach in my search for a balanced life; this is Bless' explanation:

 .... my monthly balanced life goals are similar to the spokes of a wheel, with the length of each spoke representing my satisfaction in that area of my life, from 1 to 10, with 1 being most dissatisfied and 10 being most satisfied.  Ideally, all the spokes are of equal length and the wheel will roll along smoothly.  If the spokes are of unequal lengths, then, the resulting wheel will be lop-sided and wobbly.  My current ratings for each segment are shown within the parentheses.  

Here is my update for October, stating my goals and the bullet-pointed task list that I'll tackle in during the month to help achieve the goal. Last month's ratings and tasks are shown in black and the start of the current month is shown in yellow.

HOME (9.5)(9.5)

Goal: The home is always clean and tidy.

I haven't done much on the house during the month so I still have the remainder of the decluttering to remove from the dining room to allow this category to be marked at '10'. Most of my efforts have been focused on returning band property and although this has cleared space in a couple of rooms, it's not enough to alter the mark.

Tasks for October:
  • focus on the remainder of the items to be decluttered - FAILED!!
Tasks for November:
  • declutter the dining room!


GARDEN (9.5)(9.5)

Goal: The garden is always tidy and presentable

I've done a little tidying and clearing but not enough to change the score for this category.

Tasks for October:
  • tidy front and back gardens - IN PROGRESS

Tasks for November:
  • tidy back garden
  • plant the rest of the bulbs


FINANCE (10)(10)

Goal: I am financially secure and remain completely debt free

Ongoing monthly task:
  • continue to monitor spending and reduce expenditure where possible


COMMUNITY, FRIENDS & FAMILY (9)(9)

Goal: I take an active role in my local community, and have strong bonds with family and friends

This category has taken a knock with my decision to take a break from the youth band. However I have filled that gap by joining a community singing group, so have decided not to change the score.

Tasks for October:
  • continue voluntary work with the youth band - N/A: the situation has changed and I am taking a break from the band
  • try to meet at least one adult band member socially - SUCCESSFUL, met S for coffee, C, B, & A at a concert
Tasks for November:
  • continue to attend the singing group
  • try to meet at least one adult band member socially


EMOTIONAL WELL BEING (9)(9)

Goal: I have a positive outlook on life and am benefiting by avoiding bouts of depression and keeping my emotional well being at a healthy level

Another month of struggling with my mood but the decision to take a break from the band has been beneficial, giving me something I can build on.

Tasks for October:
  • write a Reasons to be Cheerful post for my blog - ACHIEVED (to be published tomorrow)
  • actively start the day intending to be happy and enjoy life - ONGOING
  • complete a daily joyful activity - ACHIEVED
Tasks for November:
  • write a Reasons to be Cheerful post for my blog
  • actively start the day intending to be happy and enjoy life 
  • complete a daily joyful activity


HEALTH & FITNESS (7)(7)

Goal: I lead an active life, benefiting from increased fitness and improvements in my general health

I have been given the go ahead to resume daily exercise

Tasks for October:
  • keep all medical appointments in October - ACHIEVED
  • go for a short walk at least three times a week - FAILED!!!
Tasks for November:
  • keep all medical appointments in November
  • do 20 minutes of exercise at least three times a week


HEALTHY EATING (8.5)(8.5)

Goal: I eat sensibly and healthily and am benefiting by losing weight and experiencing increased energy levels

I have no idea how much weight I have lost but I have dropped a dress size so will continue to do what I've been doing.

Tasks for October:
  • use the Myfitnesspal app to monitor food - ONGOING
  • drink 4 glasses of water a day - ACHIEVED
  • complete bulk cooking to stock the freezer - ONGOING
Tasks for November:
  • drink 5 glasses of water a day
  • stock the freezer with a variety of homemade soups
  • meal plan for the month


LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL (7)(7)

Goal: I live life now, in the moment, and avoid putting things off. I decide what I want to achieve and I do it!

I haven't managed an improvement in October but have looked for things to do in the future - tickets have been purchased and arrangements made.

Tasks for October:
    • regular music practice - 70% SUCCESSFUL
    • arrange two diary dates for every week in October to meet with friends - ACHIEVED
    • arrange one day out - FAILED!
    Tasks for November:
      • regular music practice
      • arrange two diary dates for every week in October to meet with friends
      • arrange one day out 


      TIME MANAGEMENT (8)(8)

      Goal: I make best use of my time to lead a full and productive life

      I've had a good reason to be more organised with my time this month as I've focused on completing and returning band related tasks. It's proved I can do it when I need to!

      Tasks for October:
      • continue to establish a week day routine, getting chores done in the morning to leave the rest of the day free - ONGOING
      • keep all admin up to date - ONGOING
        Tasks for November:
        • focus on establishing a week day routine, getting chores done in the morning to leave the rest of the day free
        • keep all admin up to date

        ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS (8)(8)

        Goal: I educate myself about the environmental crisis and make changes to my lifestyle to reduce my own carbon footprint.

        I haven't made any real progress this month. I'm continuing to buy fruit and veg that's free from any plastic packaging but haven't yet needed to replace any of the other plastic packaged products I use in the house.

        Tasks for October:
        • identify how to buy meat and fish that is free from plastic packaging - ACHIEVED, there are plenty of places locally where you can take your own containers.
        • bulk cook and freeze a selection of meals - ACHIEVED
        Tasks for October:
        • identify a replacement for scouring pads, sponges and toothbrushes
        • bulk cook and freeze a selection of meals


        SUMMARY

        There is no change from last month in any of the categories. 

        OCTOBER 2019

        SEPTEMBER 2019

        Comments

        1. Well done in October - it appears to have been a very good month for you. The decluttering project is probably something that will be ongoing for just a bit longer. Mine D/C project stalled in the summer, but I'm back at it now. I think my physical & emotional clutter are linked!

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. I think mine are too. I know from experience that my emotional health has improved as the decluttering has happened so there is every incentive to get it done. I just need to find the energy from somewhere!

            Delete
        2. Great review, Eileen. I think you did very well in October, even if your ratings didn't change. You made some important decisions and I am sure they will have a positive impact in November as you move forward. I like your November goals, too. :)

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. Thanks Bless. Despite all the upset it's been a good month and, even though the ratings haven't changed, I do feel that I am laying the groundwork to move forward.

            Delete

        Post a Comment

        Popular Posts