Friday

The 'Walking for Health' walk yesterday was interesting! I'd opted for the starter level but I thought I'd probably made a poor choice when the starter group set off - me, V (using a rollator walking aid), R (with walking stick), B (registered blind) and T, the leader who'd had a major heart attack some years ago. T also suggested that it might be too slow for me but I decided to stick with them and see how it went. It was slow! Very slow, the 30 minute walk took just under an hour to complete by which time my knee was hurting and I was relieved to see the car. However, although it was slow we laughed most of the time ... very funny men with lots of stories to tell. They were quite put out that I wasn't joining them for cake (no mention of the coffee!) afterwards but I have promised faithfully to join them next time. The next ability group, the strollers, caught up with us on their way back and disappeared into the distance. R informed me that I'd know when the top group, the striders, were overtaking us as I'd hear the sonic boom!

I will definitely go each week and in the remaining weeks until they break for Christmas I will stay with the starters. This will allow me to build up some stamina and to be honest I'd struggle to maintain the speed of the next group for an hour of walking at present. It's something to aim for and I can always add in extra loops to allow me to walk quicker and to cover more distance. I forgot to wear my Fitbit so I have no idea how many steps I've done today, so will make sure to remember next week.

L came round for lunch and stayed for the whole afternoon. Lots of chatting and laughter ... a good time in the company of a friend. After she left I settled down to finish reading my current book (Sanctus by Simon Toyne) and then made a start on 'The Key', the second book in the trilogy.

Today, I don't have much on at all. 'A' will be here to clean through the house and afterwards I will be visiting J to loan her a book ... there will obviously be coffee and cake as well!

Comments

  1. I laughed out loud when I read the 'sonic boom' bit. I can just imagine it!
    It sounds a very well organised group and I'm glad, both that you enjoyed it and that you're continuing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be very well organised and everyone was friendly and welcoming. Yes, I laughed out loud when he said it!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a friendly group of walkers! I'm glad the pace was slow, but, sorry it took an hour and your knee hurt. I'm sure you'll build up stamina in a few weeks, though. Hope you have a good day, today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get used to walking for an hour the pace will be too slow ... it was more of an amble, but I was in good company and they were very friendly.

      Hope you have a good day too.

      Delete
  3. I find walking slowly is more painful than walking at normal speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right. The trouble is that the next group walk at a faster pace than I am comfortable with so I need to build up my speed and stamina so that when I join them the walk isn't a complete failure.

      Delete
  4. I think your group sounds delightfully fun ... exercise & laughter, definitely a perfect combo of well being. With your group, it could proof to be the better choice because as you say a few extra loops on your own would be a next step, but the other group may be making sonic boom speed but where's the laughter, which is the element you'll need to "stick to your ticket".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to increase my speed steadily. I have been walking quite slowly since the knee problems started so I need to get out of my comfort zone but in a way that doesn't make me want to give up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts