The Weekend

I've already written about the calligraphy course I went to on Saturday in Frome. It ran from 10 am to 3 pm so I arrived early and treated myself to a cooked breakfast beforehand. The cafe was just around the corner from the course venue and was run by the most genuinely cheerful person I've ever met. She was originally from Thailand and simply oozed happiness and a love of life. I overheard her chatting to an elderly couple and she was explaining about choosing to live a life where she is present and gets the most out of every single moment. It was definitely a great start to the day and something to think about in terms of how to approach life.

After the course, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I had time to take a few photos for the WPSH which I shared in this post. I don't go Frome very often and always forget what an interesting place it is so I plan to rectify this. It's only 11 miles away so, once the weather improves, I'd like to explore the town and read up on its history.

Back at home I settled in for the evening. There was a lot of information to take in on the course, and much as I enjoyed it, I was too tired to think about going out so I went for the easy option and watched the TV until it was time for bed.

The predicted storm arrived during the night. I know this because I kept waking as the storm banged and crashed around outside. Luckily there was no damage and even the wobbly fence along the road is still standing! There was no sign of the storm easing up on Sunday so I opted to stay indoors and filled my day with reading, TV, calligraphy practice, and some family tree research.

I also spoke to D who runs the U3A Mah Jong group. The group meets once a fortnight for a couple of hours each time, split between chatting, tea breaks (plural!), and playing. It's not on this week but we have agreed to meet so she can explain about the group and go through the rules and the gameplay the group follows. So it seems there is a place for me if I want it and I will be given a few sessions to see if I like it before I need to buy my own copy of their rule book. 

It's been a lovely weekend and I now have a busy couple of days ahead of me before it all calms down on Wednesday. More about that tomorrow though. 

Comments

  1. I'm really glad so many interesting and enjoyable things are coming your way at the moment. Also that you seem well recovered from your illness.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am feeling much better now and any tiredness is due to lack of fitness rather than being unwell.

      Things do seem to be working out for me don't they.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've had an enjoyable weekend, Eileen. I'm glad the mah jong group might be something you might be able to join. Hope you have fun! It's blowing a gale over here, right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to trying the mah Jong. D sounds very friendly so I'm hoping it's the same for the rest of the group.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very full & enjoyable weekend. Lovely that you got to hear someone else talk about being present in their life ... it's difficult because so much of the surrounding things like TV & commercials tell us something totally different. I'm back to my proper breathing exercises.

    Great WPSH photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fascinating to hear her outlook on life rather than the idealised version the media presents to us.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finding a place in the mah jong group! What fun!

    We also are having rain but not the storms it sounds like came your way. Some people are just more naturally and openly cheerful than others, I think, and being here now (such an important idea for me since I learned of Ram Dass in the 70s) is helpful in growing in contentment. Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd benefit from reading his book.

      I'm looking forward to the mah jong tomorrow. Hopefully it will work out, but if not I have other ideas in reserve!

      Delete
  5. Hi Eileen,
    It's good that your days have been pleasantly spent with well-disposed people.
    This helps a lot to lift our spirits.
    No, I will see your photos.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I want tell you :" Now", "In this moment" and not "no"... Sorry

      Delete
    2. It's been a good day with lovely people and yes, it does help to keep me cheerful.

      I saw your comment on my photos ... thank you x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts