Lent, Photography and A Quiet Night

It's the first day of Lent so time to settle on what to do this year. In addition to making 40 donations to the food bank which I've mentioned before I'd also like to focus on a personal commitment during Lent. I'd originally thought about giving something up, suggesting TV and/or bread, but have now decided that I'll concentrate on making a positive change in my life instead.

As usual I seem to have quite a few changes that I'm working towards implementing and did consider the revised approach to meals as being the one to focus on during Lent but it felt like a bit of a cheat as I have already started preparing for it. 

So, after considerable racking  of brain, I have settled on resuming a daily walk. I've chosen this activity as I definitely won't find it easy but, although I will struggle to start with, I know the health benefits will be significant. It is one area of my life I have been neglecting, which I can't afford to do. My knee is still painful so in addition to the daily walk I'll be continuing with the knee strengthening exercises. The specifics are that I will leave the house for a 15 minute walk every day even if it is raining, but will walk indoors if we have any repeats of the Storm Dennis-like weather during the 40 days of Lent. 

I did my first walk this morning. I almost fell at the first hurdle as I've woken with a head cold and feel dreadful, but I wrapped up warm and dragged myself over in the direction of the canal. At my current speed of walking I made it as far as the road bridge before it was time to turn back.

Once I've finished this post I'll grab my camera and spend the rest of the morning taking some photos for the U3A and the WPSH. I'll start in Bradford on Avon but may venture as far as Bath and, if I do get that far, will also indulge in some retail therapy. 

This evening I plan to snuggle up with a book. No TV or internet time, just lose myself in the story. I still need to choose what to read (from my bookcase) but am thinking maybe something from the fantasy or science fiction genres.

The important news from yesterday was that L and P have decided to settle back in this country. They've been living in Venezuela for years and returned to the UK a couple of years ago for family reasons. They originally intended to live abroad again but have now decided to buy a property in England, definitely in the south and probably somewhere reasonably close to Plymouth where their daughter lives. It's fantastic news and will make it so much easier to meet up.

Comments

  1. Even in the rain? That's commitment for you!
    Lovely news from your friends - I hope they find their dream home quickly.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even in the rain .... it's easy to write and think that but we'll see how I get on. The first test should be tomorrow if the forecast is correct.

      My friends have lived abroad for most of the time since we qualified back in the 1970s so most of our keeping in touch has been through letters and emails. It'll be so lovely to be able to meet up in person.

      Delete
  2. I usually take a walk every day. I find it really disconcerting when I can't take one. Like today. It's snowing outside and everything is slippery. The cold doesn't bother me but I really don't want to slip and fall and I'm not driving down to the nature park (roads are horrible). Sigh. I always take my camera on my walk with me just in case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing so well, walking for 30 minutes a day last year, until I hurt my knee. I worry about slipping and falling as well but that's not an issue at the moment with all this rain we're having. I've got out of the habit of carrying my camera so that's something I need to rectify.

      Delete
  3. You have encouraged me to take a walk instead of a nap LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could always swap ... you take the walk and I'll take the nap ... what do you think?

      Delete
  4. I'm also in great need of revising my walking program. It's the ice underfoot that keeps me on the treadmill. How absolutely wonderful that your friends are staying put & close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fantastic news. If they settle in Plymouth we will meet half way, so just over an hour's drive .... so much closer than Venezuela!

      I'm trying to decide whether to get another treadmill when I finish sorting the garage.

      Delete
  5. I really like your Lent commitments, both the donations to the food bank and the daily walking. I am afraid I have not been walking, lately, and that long walk to the car park on Sunday really showed how out of shape I am! Once again, you have inspired me and I will join you on a daily 15 minutes walk. I can manage 15 minutes. I know I can.

    Glad to hear that your friends are moving back to stay. I'm sure you'll enjoy being able to visit with them more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, it's a deal. We both walk for 15 minutes every day and review our progress when the 40 days are up. I'm glad to be sharing the challenge with you.

      I think it's the week for surprises from friends. I bumped into an ex colleague today who I haven't seen for years.

      Delete
  6. Sounds exciting that you are keeping up with your commitment. Even in the rain sounds more encouraging. Now I too need to revise my exercise and walking regime. May you find peace and joy during these 40 days of Lent. Glad that your friends too are settling nearby your place, hope they find a suitable property to settle. Stay fit �� Stay Healthy �� Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts