The Weekend

Thank you for the comments on yesterday's questions and answers.

I think Storm Dennis was playing with my head. I spent most of Saturday thinking it was Sunday so ended up wishing my brother a happy birthday one day early ... at least I remembered!

The storm didn't seem too bad to start with so I was intending to walk over to the canal, just five minutes away, to take some photos from the shelter of the bridge but I bumped into a neighbour and stopped for a chat ... in the rain! By the time we'd finished the wind had picked up so I abandoned the walk and closed the door against the weather. Indoors, I just had a pottering sort of weekend. 

The storm picked up throughout Saturday but Sunday during the day was wind free until it returned with a vengeance for part of the evening. It's the noise that gets to me and I find that I am continually tensing my muscles, so end up feeling tired even though I'm not doing anything. I woke on Sunday morning to find that one fence panel had blown down. It was still in my garden and will stay there until it can be put back - the garden is still secure as the neighbour's garden wraps around mine. We share ownership of this fence so will share the cost of the repair, although there's a possibility that he may be able to do it himself. One of my big terracotta pots has a large chunk gouged out of the side so I will want to replace that at some stage. However, considering how bad it was, I think I'm lucky that the damage was relatively light.

I spent quite a lot of Sunday looking on YouTube for ideas for exercises. Divers and Sundry recommended Dr Jo's channel and I like the look of her knee strengthening videos, so will start with those. I'm also looking for a beginner yoga or an improve your flexibility video but so far no luck in finding one I thought I'd be able to stick to.

I had an email about the U3A family history group to tell me that the two existing groups are full but she has added my name to the waiting list and is anticipating starting a third group in the summer. I just have to hope it'll be on a day that fits in with all my other plans. Most of the family history groups I've looked at meet to talk about their research based on a given topic, e.g. an ancestor in the military, but this group has a different approach. It meets in the Wilts Family History Centre and uses the centre's resources to continue with actual research. The blurb about the group say they pool ideas to help members break through the tricky bits of research that everyone experiences from time to time. Actually doing the research appeals to me so I hope enough people are interested.

I had to get up early today as it's the black box collection (glass, tins and paper) and it was too windy to put it out last night - I had visions of the contents spread throughout the Close which is exactly what happened to some of the other houses.  It's  half term so there is no teaching today but choir is on as usual. I need to do some housework and return a top for a refund, but that's all I have on the must-do list. I'm delaying food shopping for a few days while I review my meal plan as I'm debating whether to attempt low carb eating to see if that will kick start the weight loss. I'm dithering because, while I think it will help, I am currently in a cycle of having lots of migraines and eating a higher carb food has always been an effective way of bringing an attack to an end. I don't know how reducing carbs overall will affect me, hence the dithering. I may phone the nutritionist at the surgery for advice as she may well have a better suggestion for me to try.

I'm also looking ahead to Lent, thinking of what I can do this year. I've already decided on a donation of 40 items to the local food bank and think I will declutter 40 items, just because it needs to be done and it will spur me on to complete it. I'm planning to give something up for Lent as well but I'm dithering as to what. Have you noticed there is a lot of dithering going on at the moment? My initial though was to give up coffee but I've done that before. I don't eat a lot of sweets and never drink alcohol so they're both non-starters, but am thinking maybe bread or TV, or both. I still have a few days to decide.

Comments

  1. That's a brilliant idea about Lent and the food bank. I don't 'give things up' in that sense, but this is very positive. Thanks for the idea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take any credit for coming up with the idea. It was in a list of 'things to give up for Lent' and it stood out as a positive thing to do.

      Delete
  2. Too funny about wishing your brother a day early! I've done that, too, except it was my half-brother and I was 2 days early! LOL.

    I'm glad the damage from the storm was relatively light. Hopefully, the downed fence panel is soon repaired.

    I hope you'll find the diet and exercise programs that will work for you. Good idea to check with the nutritionist before trying the low carb diet.

    I don't observe lent, but, the idea of donating 40 items to the food bank sounds like a wonderful thing. The letter carriers here collect donations for the food bank every May (usually on our Mother's Day); last year, I bought 42 items (multiples of 6, because the items were $.50 each, if you bought multiples of 6) to donate. I plan on doing the same, this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The supermarkets have collection points for donated food so I will probably do that rather than going direct to the actual food bank ... you can't park close enough!

      Further reading suggests that a low carb diet may impact on my blood pressure so I'll speak to the surgery later this morning and follow their advice.

      Delete
  3. the 40 food items seems like a good idea. Most of us pop into the supermarket a few time a week for something we forgot the previous time so to buy one or two extra things and put into the foodbank basket wouldn't break the bank and seems like a really good idea.

    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'll be doing. I've just printed out the list of items they will accept and I'll start next week.

      Delete
  4. It was a pottering, or puttering, as we say here, weekend fore me too. I am glad your storm damage wasn't any worse - it is always so hard to get those things taken care of if everyone else is dealing with the same problem at the same time. I like your idea of decluttering and donating 40 things for Lent - I always opt for something positive rather than giving something up. It points to glory of Easter Sunday in my mind. Maybe walking for 40 days. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be months before anyone can come to fix the fence so I'm hoping my neighbour or maybe my nephew can fix it.

      40 days of walking is a great idea ... I didn't think of that!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you like Dr. Jo :) Yoga can depend on how much you like the presenter. Sometimes the voice can grate on your nerves in the videos. My favorite channels on Youtube are these: Yoga With Adriene, Fightmaster Yoga ("Fightmaster" is her real last name), Yoga with Kassandra, DoYogaWithMe... They all have beginner sequences, but I'm not sure they have anything especially knee-friendly. I've been excited at how much is available on Youtube, and I'm sure you'll find something you can use.

    I observe Lent but no longer give up something for it. I hope the new genealogy group works out. It sounds fascinating! That big storm sounds stressful to have gone through. I'm sorry about your pot. Those big terracotta pots are such striking additions to a garden, but I've been using the lighter-weight ones easier for me to move. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed with Dr Jo's videos and think I will benefit from doing some of them. I'm going to concentrate on sorting out my knee before I try the yoga I think.

      I don't always give up something for Lent but it feels like the right thing to do this year.

      I too am hoping the genealogy group works out. It'll be a big help if it does get going.

      I think I will replace the terracotta pot with a plastic one. There are some lovely plastic ones now and they are of course much lighter to move around.

      Delete
  6. Hello Eileen,
    I admire you, because you have a lot of initiatives to occupy your time.
    About physical activities, yoga is good for the mind and physique. Spine and muscles benefit a lot.
    I hope that the storm, today, will be weaker.
    I wish you could achieve the maximum you planned.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ailime. I think I need to concentrate on strengthening my knee so will focus on that before I try the yoga.

      I think the storm has passed through now although the experts are saying we are due another one next week. I hope they have that wrong.

      Delete
  7. I’m glad storm damage wasn’t severe.

    Hehee early birthday wishes are way better than late ones. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been very lucky in this area, thank goodness.

      At least I remembered his birthday whereas he has been known to forget mine 😂😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts