Saturday

Yesterday's trip to the Museum of East Asian Art in Bath with L proved to be a good laugh. We'd signed up for an origami workshop to make a wreath and a rat to celebrate the Chinese New Year, which of course in 2020 is the year of the rat.

I'd done some origami before though L had no experience, but we had pictorial instructions to follow and there were four helpers to assist ten of us. However, the instructions weren't clear and there was only one helper who really knew what to do so we muddled through and ended up with the finished items ...


As we left the venue L said that she hadn't enjoyed it that much but as we talked about it we started to see the funny side and ended up crying with laughter. It took us ages to get back to the car as we were laughing so much we had to keep stopping. Back in the car we laughed our way through the event again - it was one of those time when it seemed even funnier and I laughed so much it hurt! We also couldn't see how they'd made any money from the event as there was wine for those who wanted it (which was everyone except me!) and some Chinese sweet treats to sample. In addition there were the four helpers and the receptionist plus the preparation of the instructions and the packs of origami papers for each participant, all for the price of £10 each.

I'm not sure that I'd go to another origami session at this venue but I did enjoy the evening and fancy trying some more origami on my own. I don't have any of the proper origami papers but do have plenty of crafting papers which will do for now ... it may just be a passing craze so I don't want to spend any money on it yet. I'll either borrow a book from the library or will look online for something to make.

Comments

  1. Anything that makes you laugh is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, laughter is the best medicine x

      Delete
  2. That kind of laughter with a friend is so healthy. Your rats turned out quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't laughted like that in ages. I think it did us both some good.

      Delete
  3. Origami can be complicated, especially the first time one does it. But, it can be addictive, too! I'm glad you were able to laugh about the workshop, afterwards. Plus, you have the shared memory of that evening which will probably make you smile every time either of you think about it. Those rats look cute, but, that wreath is awesome! I once tried to make a crane at a Japanese cultural event I attended and I made such a mess that another lady who was there ended up making my crane for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About fifteen years ago I helped a friend make some origami cranes. She was making 1000 of them to hang at her daughter's wedding reception to bring good luck and happiness.

      Delete
  4. Great result. I do like the mice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Did you do any origami during your time in Japan?

      Delete
    2. In Japan it was mainly about paper cranes - as offerings at temples, shrines and in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Also as trinkets and ornaments however. Everyone can do the crane without hesitation though other shapes can be found if you look hard enough. When I was in the sixth form (in England), a couple of chaps in my year got into experimenting with origami using a book they found in the library (probably when they should have been revising!) I dabbled a bit at that stage too, with monkeys, snails, frogs... I have a book somewhere, as well as several packs of the special square paper. I'll look it out in the morning.

      Delete
  5. A bit frustrating, I am sure, but how lovely to be able to have such a laugh. I used to love origami and paper sculpture. It was my big hobby all the way through my teenage years and I made some interesting things. I'd love to go on some sort od course to revive my interest and whatever skill I used to have.
    What you made was great - well done.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a British Origami Society so maybe you can find something local through them. I can see that it could be a fascinating hobby and I've been doing a bit of reading about the subject.

      Delete
  6. I think your rats and wreath turned out so well! I used to enjoy origami and have recently thought that if I ever get back into making the ATCs it'd be fun to see if I could make tiny origami pieces that would fit on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of good ideas online if you do decide to give it a go.

      Delete
    2. I'm starting a bookmark folder, mainly little youtube videos. This dry spell has me looking back at my whirlwind ATC days with curiosity about what happened to that lol

      Delete
  7. Well, it sounds like you got your money's worth in laughter. The mice are cute - they are too pastel to be rats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out to be a good evening in the end. I think they are more mice than rat as well.

      Delete
    2. I can't speak for the Chinese, but the Japanese word "nezumi" translates as either rat or mouse, and since this an origami post, let's go with mouse. They are cute for rats, though the stance of the spotty one does have a rattish stance. Clever.

      Delete
    3. They were very easy to make. As it's the year of the rat I think they are supposed to be rats but it was really made clear. I like the spotty one best!

      Delete
    4. I realise that. I didn't really make myself clear... Japan doesn't follow CNY - they celebrate when we do - but they do relate the Chinese zodiac to the calendar year. So 2020 is nezumi. Rat in truth, but can also be translated as mouse, and as I don't like rats, and as origami is Japanese... Not important.

      Delete
    5. Oh, I didn't know that about Japan. I see what you mean now. Okay, I can happily describe them as mice ... I don't like rats either! Thanks for the info xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts