Power Cuts, Photography and Noises in the Night

Yesterday morning's plan to start spring cleaning in the living room was a non starter ... the power was out for most of the morning. It must have started in the early hours as the water didn't heat up and there was no heating at all. Although I could have cleaned the windows or something I was too cold so spent most of the morning huddled under a blanket feeling hard done by! Thankfully it came back on in time for me to make myself a hot meal and take a shower before I had to leave to get to the new photography group.

The photography group lived up to it's name - Photography for Fun! They choose a theme every month and then submit about 12 photos each to show to the group the following month. The photos viewed today were all to do with weather. The group (approx 18 people) is a mix of ages with a mix of photographic standards and the thing I liked best was that the viewing of the photos was accompanied by lots of friendly banter and no-one was made to feel uncomfortable about their efforts.  I'm glad I went today because I would have been unnecessarily anxious about presenting my efforts to the group but I feel more confident about it now. I'm not quite as confident about the new theme - street photography - not my favourite but we are allowed to include architecture rather than just photographing people, so I should do okay. The group meets once a month but there will obviously be more time devoted during the month to take and edit the photos. I especially like that it's not a competition focused group so the thematic approach should suit me. Watch this space! 

Wessex Water advised they were working through the night on emergency repairs and apologised in advance for the noise. Yes, it was noisy! No I didn't get any sleep! I am very, very tired today but luckily I don't have much planned so I can take it easy. I'm hoping to meet J for coffee at some stage but that's it, although I'm fairly certain there will be one or two naps needed to get me through the day.

Comments

  1. things have been a bit rough for you but I'm glad the group was fun and something you feel you can get involved in.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a long conversation with one of the women at the photography group and sort of 'clicked' with her, and it turns out that she also goes to the mahjong group I've joined. So far this U3A feels right for me!

      Delete
  2. Oh, sorry about the power cut! I imagine it was very cold when you woke up and found there was no heat! I'm glad it came back on, later, though. The photography group sounds like fun! I'm sure you'll be able to take some great pictures for next month's meeting, and hope you will share your photos with us. I'm sorry you had such a disturbed night due to the noise. If it is of any comfort to you, I was up until 5:00 a.m., this morning (Thursday), but, did sleep until 10:00 a.m., afterwards. :) I hope you will be able to have a quiet day, today, and a restful night, tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have the heat on in the bedroom (can't sleep in a warm room) so didn't realise there was a problem when I planned my day and wrote yesterday's post. It was a shock to the system when I got downstairs and realised there was no heat and no chance of hot food and drink. Still it didn't last too long and the rest of the day was fine.

      Yes, I will post my photo attempts on the blog. I really don't enjoy doing 'street photography' myself but will have to make the effort this time.

      I think the water company's work was just for one night so that's over and done with. I can easily catch up on my sleep over the weekend.

      Delete
  3. Glad the photo group were such a positive experience. I'm sure there will be lots of exchange of tips, tricks & knowledge. It's the kind of group I'd really like to find locally. The only "class" is a competitive one & that's just not for me. We woke to -25 & with the wind chill it was -30 - so I'm most thankful we had heat all night & will into the day! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the group splits into two with about half of them being 'serious' in their approach to photography and the others who just like taking photos but are still learning. I've been told that occasionally one man will discuss an image from a technique point of view but the comments yesterday were along the lines of "that's lovely", "interesting angle" and "great shot". It seems to be a very friendly group of people who encourage each other in a shared hobby.

      We're supposed to be hit by the worst if the storm over the weekend so I will be indoors in the warm.

      Delete
  4. I love a non-competitive environment, and it sounds like this experience will be a congenial sharing. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts