Meet My Kawai

27/365: my Kawai CA99 digital piano has arrived!

the control hub, an integrated computer 
(I hadn't removed the plastic protector sheet when I took this photo)

The carriers left home at 5 am yesterday morning and arrived on my doorstep just after 9:30 am. My hallway is quite narrow so, as it wasn't raining, they unpacked the piano outside and carried it in, then set it up and were on their way by about 10:15 am. I bought the piano, stool and headphones as a package deal and I didn't realise that the deal also included 10 piano books (on the stool in the first photo), a free online course of 30 lessons, and 3 months free subscription to a piano teaching app similar to Simply Piano.

I contacted C to say the piano had arrived and could make my usual lesson time if she preferred, so I had my lesson yesterday. I played through my pieces before the lesson and I love, love, love the touch and the sound. I didn't mess about choosing different sounds before the lesson started in case I did something wrong and couldn't work out how to reset it, so during my lesson I used the default sound ... a Kawai Concert Grand Piano. Even at my level I can hear the difference and it is a pleasure to play. C was impressed ... more to do with the quality of the piano rather than my playing I think, but she didn't say exactly what she was impressed with so I'm taking it as a win and have awarded myself some stickers!

After lunch I started working my way through the instruction manual and had a play around with some of the different sounds available. The computer is very easy to use and I had no problems navigating through all the many options but I do prefer the default concert grand sound which has quite a bright tone with a second choice of another grand piano which has a slightly mellower tone. For now I will stick with one of those, although saying that ... one of the pieces I have for this week will be just right with one of the organ sounds!

The new tablet arrived as promised late afternoon so I had to drag myself away from the piano to set it up. Today I want to try to get the new tablet, my laptop, and my phone into a workgroup which will be an adventure in itself. I usually ask my youngest nephew for help with this sort of thing but I'm feeling confident that I can do it myself, not that my confidence is based on any evidence of previous success! How wrong can it go?

Comments

  1. Congratulations on the new arrival! It's beautiful! Glad to see it arrived safely and is all set up and you were able to have your lesson, as well! Good luck with syncing the tablet, laptop, and phone! I'm sure you'll be able to set it up without any problems! I have confidence in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end, the timing worked out perfectly and I had my piano lesson on time which means that I won't miss the Indian cookery today. I haven't started the computer setup yet and will probably tackle it this afternoon. I've read the instructions and it looks like it should be straightforward so I will attempt it today.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! It is beautiful and you are going to really enjoy your new piano and lessons. Technology is marvellous, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely to play and definitely a huge improvement on the old piano. The old one was about 20 years old and the advances in technology means that the new one feels exactly like playing a real piano. I love it!

      Delete
  3. Oh, isn't she lovely. Absolutely splendid. I am envious.

    Good luck with the tablet. Give it a go and, if necessary, your nephew can mop up any mess afterwards! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's beautiful and a real pleasure to play. I'm very pleased with my choice.

      I'll tackle the computer stuff this afternoon. I think it should be straightforward but my nephew lives very close if I get stuck! xx

      Delete
  4. So glad that the piano is as so good. I'm sure that you will have so much pleasure from it. Good luck with the tech - it terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa, I have many hours of fun to look forward to 😀

      I'm not terrified of tech but in my experience it's never as straightforward as the instructions lead me to believe! I will give if a try later on and then ask my nephew if I get stuck.

      Delete
  5. It's been said by others, but wow, what a beauty. Concert grand, eh? It's always good to have aspirations xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, of course! Sadly, I don't play like a concert pianist 🤣

      Delete
  6. A beautiful piano, such a wonderful gift to yourself ... a reward for being so good during the pandemic (col). I did not realize that a digital piano could be made to sound differently, an organ! Sunday mornings you can pretend to be in the cathedral! I am sure you'll get to create your workgroup successfully & as you say, your nephew is your own call centre. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It varies between different models but most digital pianos offer a selection of sounds. Mine can sound like a concert grand, ragtime piano, church organ, electric organ, strings, harpsichord to name a few. I can also choose to have two sounds at the same time, e.g. piano and strings, or even add a percussion line.

      Fingers are crossed for setting up the workgroups!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It is a wow, isn't it! I am thoroughly enjoying myself, thanks Angela x

      Delete
  8. So glad you are so happy with your piano!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irune. I was a bit worried as I hadn't had the opportunity to try it out first but I am completely happy with my choice x

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the new piano! How exciting. I bet you will have a lovely time learning all about your new 'toy'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'm having a great time 😀

      Delete
  10. Hooray! I wish I could have a go on it. Main thing is that you are pleased with it. Looks lovely. I've never tried a digital one, but I was struck that in Japan Kawai was far and away the most popular piano brand, and Yamaha relatively uncommon. Do you have an option of using headphones and playing silently? Can it record?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you have a go on it!

      I hadn't heard of Kawai until C (piano teacher) mentioned them. My understanding is that they share the lead with Yamaha but their reputation is still growing and they have developed some amazing pianos.

      Yes, I can use headphones and usually do when I play later in the evening so I don't disturb the neighbours. Yes, it can record and this is one of the features missing from the old piano which pushed me into changing as music exams have moved online so I need to be able to produce good quality recordings.

      Delete
    2. Oh. Maybe it's a regional thing but all my schools had Kawai, as did the city hall and two of my pupils. I noticed because I had never heard of them either before I went there. They had a lovely, bright sound and a lovely touch. (All acoustic at the time.) Could easily be regional as I know certain pianos were strongly favoured to be able to withstand the v high humidity as well as air conditioning.

      Glad you have the headphone option - we'll need it when I'm let loose. I'll bring Swingin' Samson and we can have a sing! 🎹🎶

      Online exams? You submit a recording of the pieces or they watch you playing via eg Zoom?

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure whether you submit an audio recording or a video recording. It's not a 'live' exam at the moment. I don't know how long that will continue and whether ABRSM will continue with recordings once it's safe to hold in person exams. They play an extra piece instead of doing the aural tests.

      Maybe I should give all the neighbours some headphones if we're going to sing 😂😂😂

      Delete
    4. The exams aren't via Zoom and you can submit your entry at any time rather than the designated exams weeks.

      Maybe it's just that Kawai is now well known outside of Japan.

      Delete
    5. Bloody cheek! They should be grateful for the free entertainment. In fact, I refuse to perform unless they agree to donate to a charity of my choice. (You'd better do the playing.)

      Blimey. I'd've thought social distancing and good ventilation very easy for in person exams. Many a time I've presented myself in a draughty civic hall! No aural tests eh? They were the best bit! Loadsa free marks! I hope it's a video recording for obvious reasons. Otherwise I'd be tempted to sign up for grade 8 pretty sharpish...

      Delete
    6. It must be much cheaper to run the exams with recorded submissions and the results come through very quickly. Yes, the aural tests were effectively free marks!

      If I'm playing they will definitely need the headphones. Anyway, you're the one tempted to take grade 8 😂😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts