Piano Problems!

6/365: cyclamen

Yesterday's piano lesson was great and I was congratulated on my pedalling {blushes}. We agreed that I'll spend the next two or three weeks focusing on the same pieces so I have specific things to practice in each piece. 

The piano has a dodgy key which struggled on through the lesson but currently isn't sounding at all and the key next to it is now showing the same signs ... middle C and the B below middle C so both notes that are played frequently. All of which means that the need to replace the piano is now much more urgent than previously. 

I phoned around the local dealers but they have all sold out of the model I'm interested in and all of them said that the earliest they are expecting new stock is June 2022 and that they couldn't guarantee it would be that early. I don't think I can wait that long and would prefer not to spend any money on repairing the current piano, assuming that it is even possible, so I spent some time searching online to see if the model I want is in stock anywhere in the country. The good news is that some places have it in stock. The bad news is that they are all in the north, around the Liverpool and Manchester area. 

With some juggling I think I may be able to finance the purchase without resorting to a bank loan so I need to decide what to do as the distance means that it's not practical to try before I buy. I'll be visiting Joy this morning but can you guess what I'll be doing once I get home?

Comments

  1. Beautiful cyclamen!
    So sorry to hear about the piano problems! Hope you can find a way to buy a new piano sooner than planned! If you get it from one of the stores in the north that have them, will there be shipping costs, etc.? Enjoy your visit with Joy, today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. At least the piano problems weren't unexpected. I knew I had to replace the piano but it's just happened sooner that I'd hoped. Some stores charge delivery and some don't. The distance doesn't seem to make a difference and even if I was able to order from the closest store to home, i.e. about 12 miles away, I'd have to pay £175 for their delivery service.

      I had a great time with Joy and we'll do it again soon.

      Delete
  2. That's awful news about the piano. Really hope that you can find something soon. You're doing so well, it doesn't seem fair that you could lose the piano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad. I'd already decided to replace the piano but thought the current one would last until May by which time I'd be able to save the money. The piano has a different idea though and probably won't last much longer. It is 20+ years old, so it's positively ancient for a digital piano and had done me well, and today's investigations have revealed some good options (financially) to get the replacement sooner rather than later. x

      Delete
  3. What a shame about the distance to try the piano you want where it is in stock. Very frustrating for you that June is the earliest date with your local stockists. I'm glad your lesson went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I'll be buying online I will have the option to return it if for any reason I don't like it. I do think it's unlikely that'll be necessary though. I know the specification of my chosen model more than meets my needs and digital pianos have progressed so much in the past 20 years that I'm sure I'll love it.

      Delete
  4. Dodgy piano keys are so irritating, aren't they. Good luck with your piano hunt and ponderings and well done on the pedalling.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are irritating! I think I have managed to sort out a way of getting the piano straight away - I'm just waiting to hear back from one company and then I will decide which option to go for.

      I was chuffed to do so well on the pedalling. I didn't find it easy to start with but it sort of clicked over the Christmas break. xx

      Delete
  5. I like the pink blended stripe on your Cyclamen. A delicate bloom. Hoping for a good visit with Joy & upon your return home, a successful placement order for the new piano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cyclamen and will probably get a few more for this coming autumn/winter. I had a great time with Joy and it looks like I may have solved the piano replacement problem.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty flower. Good luck with the piano hunt. I hope you manage to get the one you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. The piano is all sorted and I've placed my order for the model I want.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts