Tuesday 18th January

18/365: the old piano 

I haven't made any progress on choosing the wool for my/my sister's granny blanket yet. I got slightly side-tracked with the family tree research instead following receipt of an Ancestry message from a potential 2nd/3rd cousin; we can see which branch of the family we are related through but neither of us has the details of the one ancestor that connects us. It's another line of research to get stuck into, so that will help pass a few hours/days/weeks!

I managed to take some of the photos I need and will try to take some more today. I'm off to the museum to see the photography exhibition, this time with Joy so am confident that I will get there this time. I'll go into town well before our meeting time to see if any of Waterstones 'on offer' books catch my eye, and I also need to buy a birthday card for a 2 year old. If I have time I'll see what chicory drinks Holland & Barrett have in stock ... I'm looking for an alternative hot drink now that I'm not drinking coffee. I have some herbal teas I like but none of them are really satisfactory after a meal so am hoping the chicory option fits the bill. If not, I may give in and starting drinking coffee again, but go for decaf this time.

I watched the first episode in a new series of Watercolour Challenge yesterday. It's on every day at 4pm and I'll do my best to watch every episode. It was something that I used to watch with Mum years ago when Hannah Gordon was the host, and I'm over the moon that Channel 5 have brought it back, this time fronted by Fern Britton. They've pretty much stuck to the original format too, which is good! As usual when I watch some using watercolours I feel tempted to have another go myself, so maybe there's another adventure to be had exploring that medium again. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for mentioning Watercolour Challenge, I hadn't realised it was back. We were talking about the original series at Christmas. It's more than 20 years since the original series. We're trying to drink less coffee. I like Redbush tea, OH prefers Lapsang Souchong. My friend is fond of Barleycup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that Watercolour Challenge was back on when I was checking the TV schedule for the day, so a bit of a happy accident finding it in time for the first episode.

      I don't like any teas, but am okay with a couple of herbal 'teas' like mint tea and ginger tea. I bought a jar of Whole Earth No Caf drink this morning and have enjoyed my first mug of it so I think it's a keeper. I'll try the Barleycup next as that's been recommended by quite a few people.

      Delete
  2. How exciting to have another thread of your family tree to follow up on - good luck with finding that link. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I love doing this sort of thing ... it's a bit like puzzle solving 😊 xx

      Delete
  3. It's exciting being contacted by DNA matches and trying to figure out your common ancestor, good luck with your research. I hope you enjoy the museum visit and find a new book. My nearest Waterstones is quite a distance away and they have a coffee shop upstairs, absolute bliss. Do let us know what a chicory drink is like if you buy it, the health benefits seem worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like finding new relatives. I think this new one was hoping that I had it already worked out but no such luck but I'm happy to try to sort it out.

      The museum trip wasn't quite what I was expecting but I had Joy's company so enjoyed it despite being a little underwhelmed by the photo exhibition.

      I've bought Whole Earth Organic NoCaf to try and have enjoyed by first mug of it. It's quite a pleasant drink and can easily replace my after meal coffee. I'll get Barleycup to try when this jar is finished.

      Delete
  4. I hope you find some awesome books, and I look forward to seeing the pictures. Good luck with the yarn. I'd recommend Marriners Yarns, who are inexpensive and the customer services is pretty good. They even have some blanket kits (not that I'm planning on getting one at all, not in the slightest!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found two books, buy one get one half price, and have saved the rest of the token for now. 😃

      You are a bad influence! I've had a look on the Marriners Yarn website and will keep it in mind but won't be buying the wool until I'm ready to tackle the project. I have the fabric for two quilts to think about finishing before I try the crochet project.

      Delete
  5. I thought this was your new piano ... there was a post to give away a 100 year old piano on the community F/B page. There was so much craving in the wood trim, it was a piece of art. It was snatched up in 10 minutes of posting & I wonder if for the wood. The channel we watch The Repair Shop on may have Watercolour Challenge, as I've just seen the Sewing Bee has started. Hope you & Joy have a fun time & that you are able to get a book that charms you & a hot drink replacement that will delight you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, definitely the old piano. Some of the old pianos really are a work of art and I'm not surprised someone snatched it up quickly.

      Repair Shop and Sewing Bee are both BBC programmes but Watercolour Challenge is on Channel 5 - I don't know if that will make a difference to availability on the channel you watch.

      Yes, I had a good time with Joy, bought two new books and a hot drink coffee replacement which I'm actually enjoying.

      Delete
  6. Hi Eileen,
    Glad to see you excited about so many projects!
    I hope you can make it happen and that everything goes as smoothly as possible for your well-being.
    The photo of the piano is magnificent.
    I also loved seeing your flowers|
    They look beautiful with the dew drops.
    Hugs and have a good week.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. I have lots of ideas bubbling away at the planning stage but need to focus on the decluttering first and get that finished. Glad you liked the photos.

      Delete
  7. Sorry, I'm late with my comments, but, I see from your responses above that you've enjoyed your visit with Joy, been to the museum, bought books, and enjoyed some coffee replacement drink! Your old piano looks good! I tried to see what music you have on the stand - is that Fur Elise? Whatever it is, you are playing at a much more advanced level than I am! I haven't resumed classes, yet; S called and postponed it to next week because she is not feeling too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Fur Elise, well two pages out of the three. I'm not attempting all of it yet, mostly just the first page which is easier than it looks. The second page is much harder, about grade 4 standard so will come back to that in the future. I hope S feels better soon, for her own sake but also so you can restart lessons.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts