Friday 18th November

322/365: bellflower
 

M will be here later this morning so I need to go and get some cash before she gets here ... I have the feeling she'll want to be paid. I remembered everything else but sort of dropped the ball on that! I have a new climbing rose Blooming Marvellous, and two different tulip varieties, one red and one white, to be planted plus there is some more tidying to do. I think this is her last visit until the new year. 

I'll spend the morning in the kitchen while she is here. There's still space in the garage freezer so I picked up a few more ingredients when I was out yesterday and will try some new recipes - apple and cinnamon porridge, kedgeree, pea and ham soup, and dhal. I'm only making three portions each of the porridge and the kedgeree, so one to eat tomorrow, one in the fridge to eat in a couple of days, and one for the freezer. The recipes state they are suitable for freezing but I want to check that I like the texture after they have been defrosted and reheated before I cook a big batch. The other two recipes will freeze okay.

After M has finished I'm driving over to The Woollery at Westbury. I've decided on the skill/craft I want to resume (see my bucket list) and that's to start making my own clothes, both sewing and knitting/crocheting. I have all the equipment here for the sewing and I need new clothes so will give it a go! I'm starting with a wool project (my sister will have a panic attack if she reads this 😂) and am seeking advice from V who owns The Woollery. She also run workshops and offer one-to-one support so I should be able to finish whatever I choose ... hopefully ... fingers crossed! I need one more lap blanket so although that's not wearable, it may be a simple project to start on for the winter. I can sew anything but have never had much success with knitting or crochet, so of course that's the one I desperately want to do ... please wish me luck! 

Comments

  1. Good for you. Honestly, when you get the rhythm of it, it's not hard. You play the piano so you have nimble fingers and are used to reading a code.
    I look forward to seeing what you make.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can do it, although that probably not a good idea when it comes to holding the needles or the hook! 😂

      I'll keep you updated xx

      Delete
  2. Always best to start with a simple design and not too big, keep us posted how you get along. I have a lap blanket, made using Tunisian crochet link here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOdrSOeUGbY&t=64s I also use Bella Coco on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll have a look at this later. I'll let you know how I get on xx

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your crafting projects. Nice that you will have hands on support. I had enrolled in a in person sewing course just as the pandemic started, so it was cancelled & so far there's no start again date. During the height of the pandemic I tried re-learning to crochet via uTube. I gave up after entwining myself in yarn far too often. Sounds like a good visit to the garden centre yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not sure that I'd attempt the knitting/crochet if I didn't have this level of support ... previous experience tells me that wouldn't be a good idea! I hope your in-person sewing course starts again.

      I was very controlled at the garden centre! xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've a busy day planned! Sewing and crocheting will keep you pleasantly occupied this winter. :) I'm glad you will have support from the owner of the yarn shop if you need it. Maybe you can surprise your sister with a crocheted item for Christmas! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a full day but I didn't manage to get all the cooking done as I was busy chatting with M!

      They were very welcoming at the shop and generous with their offers of help. If I get stuck and it's something they can help with that only takes a few minutes (e.g. clarifying a pattern or quickly explaining something) there is no charge, but if it's something that will take a long time (correcting a mistake that's a few rows back or teaching something much more complex) will have to be paid for.

      I'll knit some socks for her as soon as I've learned how to make them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts