Wednesday 9th November

313/365: camellia
 

So I didn't make much progress yesterday. It was too wet to think about going to the charity shop or the recycling yard but, during lulls in the rain, I did move all those boxes and bags to the garage so they are out of the way for now. 

I was hoping to sort through the Christmas decorations which are currently stored in three big plastic storage boxes and fit nicely at the back of the cupboard. The decorations were collected over the year but were all bought for our previous home where we had lots of bookcases and shelves to display Christmas ornaments on, and we had all the trimmings for a huge 8 ft tree which we chose each year from the local farm. But I live in a much smaller house now so don't have room for all the ornaments or such a large tree and for the past couple of years I haven't bothered to decorate properly at all. I did start sorting through the boxes of decorations but actually found it more emotional than I was anticipating, so have put everything away for now and the boxes are back in the cupboard. I will have to face it at some stage and I know that there are bits and pieces some of my family will really like to have but I don't feel ready to deal with it just yet. 

After I'd put everything away it did occur to me that maybe I should have sorted out some of the smaller ornaments to display this year and then look at getting a small (4 ft?) artificial tree, so I may do that. If I do decide to do that I'll stick to tradition and decorate on Christmas Eve, keeping the trimmings up until Twelfth Night. I have plenty of time to make a decision for this year.

Today I'm indulging in a bit lot of retail therapy. I've worked out where the cleaning equipment can fit in the cupboard so need to look for some suitable clips or brackets to hang some of it on the walls. I've also chosen the climbing rose I want so can order that, and then will look to buy all of the other items on my list provided they are on sale. It should be a fun day!

Comments

  1. It sounds good - enjoy the retail therapy.
    I understand the emotional difficulty - it was terribly hard sorting out Mum and Dad's decorations and I have some here as I just couldn't get rid of them. It's what they represent, isn't it?
    ((( hugs ))) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is what they represent, so many memories are tied up in them. They'll keep in their boxes until I feel able to deal with them.

      Retail therapy is fun! xx

      Delete
  2. Well cheers to you aiding the economy! IMO, I think your plan for a smaller Christmas tree with some of the ornaments out is an excellent plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best! I may not decorate at all ... I'm looking into Christmas trips so may not be at home this holiday season.

      Delete
  3. I have to agree that I find the Christmas decorations quite emotional, there is a set of bells in different colours that I remember my Dad buying from Woolworths when I was about 8 and every year I have to have them on the tree, it is the memories attached to them. You will get to them when you are ready. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange as my late partner was a big Christmas celebrator but it's the decorations he chose which upset me the most. They won't be in the way at the back of the cupboard so I can leave it as long as I want to.

      My sister had all the decorations from our childhood. There was a little chorister doll that we use to fight about to be the one to put it one the tree! xx

      Delete
  4. There are so many memories and emotions attached to Christmas ornaments. Sorting through them is difficult. Setting aside smaller ones for a small tree is a lovely idea. I've done some of that but need to do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can find a small tree that I like I think I may find it easier as I'll be sorting through to find the decorations that are the right size for the smaller scale. That's if I decorate at all this year ... trying to find a holiday but may have left it too late for this year. xx

      Delete
  5. Sending hugs. It's funny how emotions can ambush you when you least expect it.

    We have a holographic tree that twinkles. It doesn't need decorating but we wrap tinsel around it anyway. It's only small, but it suits us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me by surprise. I didn't think it would be that hard but I just couldn't do it!

      One of the big garden centres is known for it's huge Christmas display so I'll go over to have a look at their selection of trees to see what's available. A twinkly tree sounds lovely!

      Delete
    2. I remember falling apart five years after my grandmother's death because I saw the perfect wrapping paper for her. It's like suddenly you have all the emotions drop on you and you don't see it coming. You have to work with what you can do. Sending all the kind hugs x

      Delete
  6. Retail therapy sounds fun. Hopefully when you go to sort through the decorations again, you reach a better equilibrium of emotions and find just those that seem right for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (((HUGS))) Some items are harder to declutter than others, aren't they? I say, if you have room for them, keep them. I do like the idea of having a smaller tree decorated with some of the items (if you decide to stay home instead of going on vacation, that is).
    Enjoy your retail therapy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a lovely flower photo. I really like the water droplets on it.

    I know what you mean about the decorations. We have a lot and now only a small tree so only a few go on it. I did give some to my daughter, but still have too many! There are memories that come with them that are difficult to let go of. I suppose at some time they will have to be dealt with though

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts