Creative Yarn, Piano, and My Usual Monday Dithering

a new crochet book (see below)
 

The book in the photo is for a new U3A group I've joined, Creative Yarn, and the inaugural meeting is on February 1st. I wanted a project that will give me something to do at each meeting (monthly) but result in a finished item that I will use so I'll be finding my (very) deeply hidden crocheting genius and attempting various granny square to make a cuddle blanket. That's my plan anyway but at the first meeting we will be asked to share ideas of what the group could do. From the introductory email and a chat with the organiser I'd thought it was going to be run along the lines of a knit and natter group with everyone working on their own yarn related project but it sounds like there may be some group projects/try new yarn crafts thrown into the mix. Whatever it turns out to be, it sounds like fun and it's another thing I am looking forward to. I haven't given up on my infinity scarf but am following advice and practicing on easier things before I try again. 

Saturday's piano lesson was excellent and I felt even more enthused about the whole learning process when the lesson had finished. Joe is very good at breaking things down and explaining properly what the point of the exercise is and he has lots of practical tips to support learning. He's also explained specific ways to approach practicing which I tried out yesterday and it's made a difference already ... I've never had this sort of teaching before on the piano but certain things have clicked into place and I think that his teaching is going to make a huge difference to how I get on. I'm so glad I made the change to have in person lessons with him.

So, on to today. I have personal training this morning but that's the only thing in the diary. There's some admin tasks to sort out but that should only take about half and hour and then I'll be able to choose how I want to spend the day. I doubt I'll be going out but there is plenty to occupy me here. I have the stationery cupboard to finish sorting out, the music room could do with a good tidy, and there's still some decluttered items to deal with. Or I could read, watch a film, go window shopping online (could be expensive though!) or do some calligraphy practice, all of which sounds a lot more fun!

Comments

  1. Your new piano teacher sounds excellent, so pleased you have found him. The crochet group does sound fun, I used to love to crochet and made a pink baby dress for my daughter back in the day but would knit blankets.Enjoy your day whatever you decide to do xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very good and I'm lucky to have found him. There have been lots of emails about the yarn group and it sounds like some people are prepared to teach others, plus several offers of wool for people to practice with rather than having to buy any ... they are obviously using up their stashes! Don't you knit or crochet now?

      I hope you (and Tilly) have a good day too xx

      Delete
    2. My eyesight isn't good enough anymore and Tilly would want to get involved if I tried :)

      Delete
    3. She'd be trying to help though! 😂

      It's a shame you've had to give up something you loved doing xx

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that the piano lesson went well and you are pleased with the new teacher and his methods of teaching. Sounds like you found just the teacher you needed at this time. :)
    The new yarn crafting group sounds like a fun group to join! Maybe, for a group project, you can all knit or crochet squares to be joined together to make a blanket to donate to a charity or cancer center, etc. I was given a crocheted blanket that a group of volunteers had made, along with several other items, through the cancer center when I was having my chemo treatments.
    Hope you have a wonderful day today, no matter what you decide to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I think that's it ... I've found the right teacher for my needs at this time. I'm enjoying the lessons and want to practice so, although it is early days learning with him, it is going well so far.

      I like your idea of a blanket as the group project and will suggest it to the group when we meet.

      and I hope you have a wonderful day too xx

      Delete
  3. Making your own cozy lap blanket will be so worth the work. Sounds like a good match with the new piano teacher & there's nothing like in person instruction for some things. Hope you have a wonderful day blended with fun & must do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. My ability to crochet/knit is currently an unknown so we'll see what happens.

      Yes, the piano teacher has already turned everything around and I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress.

      Thanks, it's been great so far. Hope you have a good day too xx

      Delete
  4. Great about both activities! Will be interested to read how the yarn group works out. Those little squares are v cute and remind me of an ad I saw in Switzerland once, encouraging people to use their bikes instead of cars. It was a logo of squares but some read "LOVE" and some "VELO" so it ended up as and infinite reading of either "LOVE VELO" or VELO LOVE" wherever you started reading. [Fascinating...]

    Even more fascinating: I am currently working on a very simple bobble hat pattern but managed to hash it up three times (bad light and worse concentration!) before finally getting it right last night! Haven't decided yet whether to keep it or donate it - perhaps I will see how i feel about it when it is done. At least the poncho is getting daily use as igloo conditions prevail chez Ella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ella, I will definitely be writing about the yarn group. It'll be interesting to see how it works out but I am glad to be starting with the group right from the beginning rather than try to fit into one that has been running for a while. There's a pattern for another square spelling out HOME. [see, I can be just as fascinating 😂]

      I'd keep the hat and wear it! Still no luck with the heating by the sounds of it ... any news? xx

      Delete
  5. I'm glad Saturday's lesson went well. I've given up trying to crochet and have decided that it's not for me. Sadly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I don't think I'm a natural at crochet either but am determined to stick at it .... for now! 😂 xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts