Saturday 7th January

getting a space cleared in the garage ready for the new up and over door

In the end, clearing the space in the garage was a bigger job in my mind than it was in reality. I moved most of the pots and bits of gardening stuff outside and piled everything else on top of the workbench and in front of it. S will move the butler sink and the work table (bottom right of photo) tomorrow and then it's all done. The black bags in the bottom right of the photo are destined for the recycling yard but they're not heavy so can be piled on top of the work table if I don't get round to taking them to the yard before Monday. The main problem was that the power went off in the garage half way through; I reset the switches and got the lights to work but, although the indicator for the freezer plug is on, the freezer doesn't appear to be working so I moved as much of the contents as I could to the kitchen freezer and then kept the door closed. S will have a look at it today. Fortunately, there's not much in there at the moment so if it does have to be replaced I won't have lost much food. 

I can put all of that out of my mind for now because I have my trial piano lesson this morning. It'll be the first time in years that I have been the learner in a face-to-face lesson and I'm feeling a strange mix of nervousness and excitement. I have no idea how well I'll play, but I am looking forward to it. 

There wasn't a squirrel in sight but I did at least get out for a walk yesterday. I didn't bother with the shopping as I want to do a food order once I know the situation with the freezer. I don't really need to shop until much later in the month but the reports of severe weather heading this way makes me think it'll be better to stock up now if I can. From the reports I've seen so far I don't think we'll get any snow in this area but temperatures will be right down and I know I won't want to go out if we have frosts and there is a risk of slipping. If I buy what I need now I can stop worrying about it!

I don't have anything else to write about today but, for my own reference, here's the list of my Twelve Days of Christmas gifts: an Einaudi piano music book; some bubble bath; a calligraphy pen; some undies; a puzzle book; some notebooks; some Spice Tailor kits; some Socks; a project book; a monthly planner; some mittens; a sketch pad. I'll have to start looking for ideas for this year ... if I buy them early enough I'll have forgotten what I've bought by the time Christmas comes around again.

Comments

  1. What a nuisance about the freezer. I had that happen once and rather resented both the wasted food and not knowing why the thing broke. You sound well on top of it all.

    The gifts sounds lovely - good for you!

    Finally - good luck with the piano lesson. I feel quite excited for you . . .
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely the freezer seems to be working properly again. I did check it late last night and again this morning and everything was still completely frozen. S is going to check the electrics in the garage for me just to make sure there isn't a fault, but it looks like I got of lightly this time. That freezer is at least 20 years old so I don't know how much longer it will last. Maybe I'll be better off buying a new energy efficient one that I know will be reliable ... decisions, decisions!

      The piano lesson was great! xx

      Delete
  2. What a nuisance with your freezer going off. I have that worry as I have the same as you, one in the garage and main one in my utility room and I hate wasting food at any time. I hope your piano lesson goes well today. What a shame the squirrels didn't make an appearance for you. I like that idea of buying twelve gifts in advance of next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my response to Joy (above) but it looks like the freezer has got it's act together and is working properly again. I now need to decide whether to take it as a warning and replace it anyway, and take the opportunity to get one that is energy efficient and guaranteed to keep working when stored in the garage.

      I will go back and try to photograph the squirrels at a later date. We have a lot of rain forecast over the next week or so, so it'll be after that when hopefully the weather will improve.

      I've made a list of ideas for the Twelve Days gifts and will try to buy some of them next Saturday when I'm going on a shopping trip to outlet shopping village and will hopefully be able to pick up some bargains. xx

      Delete
  3. I read your post very late last night/very early this morning and thought I wrote a response, but, I guess I didn't! Reading through your responses to the others' comments, it seems like the garage freezer is running well, again. Maybe there was just a short power outage or something. Maybe a new freezer might be a good idea, though.
    Glad to hear that the piano lesson went well! I had a feeling that it would! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freezer appears to be working properly but at the moment I have lost confidence in it! I'm coming round to the idea that I may be better off replacing it now before it gives up for good. I'm looking at the budget to see if I can fit that purchase in this year.

      I loved the piano lesson. It feels really good to be getting back into it. xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'll be going the 12 gifts again this year so need to get my thinking cap on. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts