Piano Lessons

this week's practice piece
 

The trial piano lesson on Saturday went well. My new teacher will be Joe who I think is probably late 20s and who really knows his stuff. I'll be learning on a grand piano (so my delusions of grandeur are satisfied!) and lessons will continue to be on a Saturday as that's the only day he teaches there. 

I played one piece to him and we chatted about various things I've previously learned, or in most cases haven't! I was interested that he picked up on certain aspects as, while I feel I learned an awful lot with C, there was very little focus on learning and improving techniques via scales and finger exercises until I started on the exam syllabus ... the majority of learning with C was done via pieces. Joe on the other hand seems to like to incorporate scales and finger exercises as a separate (i,e not part of a piece) and regular part of practice  ... it's the way I was taught for all my other instruments. I appreciate that this is down to a different approach to teaching between the two teachers and is not intended as a criticism of the ability of either, but I think Joe's approach will suit my style of learning better. He also tested my sight reading which was better than I was expecting and again, this is to be a regular aspect of my practice. 

So, lessons start properly in two weeks time as we are both busy next week. In the meantime I have to download some sight reading examples from the internet and attempt two or three in each practice section ... thankfully there are lots of free examples I can print out, starting with grade 1 and then progressing to grade 2 as these all stay in a five note position. I also have some finger exercises to do to work on touch etc. and also a couple of scales to look at, both hands together and two octaves. The final part of my practice is the exercise in the photo above, this is Burgmüller's Opus 100 which fortunately was in one of the music books I received with my piano so I didn't have to buy it, and this is to be tackled slowly making sure to concentrate on evenness of touch for now. It's not hard in terms of fingering but the evenness of touch will be a challenge. Oh and I have to listen to as much music as I can ... not a hardship at all!

He was very good and didn't criticise my previous teacher/lessons but I get the impression that there are aspects of technique that have to be corrected and omissions that need to be tried for the first time. The difference is being taught as well as given tips rather than just being given tips. From the little we did in the trial lesson I already know that there are things to 'unlearn', which makes it more tricky but still achievable and I can appreciate that it is much easier when the teacher is actually in the same room and can demonstrate and/or play along at the same time. There's been no discussion yet about the types of music I want to play but I have mentioned that I don't really want to do any exams.   

I won't go on and on, except to say that it was a very positive start and I do think I will enjoy the experience.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you have made a good choice of new teacher. Although I don't play any musical instruments, can't even sing in tune I understand what you say about unlearning things. My Dad taught me to drive and I failed my first driving test. Then when I went to a school of motoring I had to unlearn all the bad habits I had learned from my Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with my choice so far as I think his initial assessment of my playing was accurate and I think I will learn a lot from him. Unlearning things is a bit of a nightmare but it is possible and I will just have to work a bit harder at it.

      Did you pass on your second attempt, i.e. the first one with the motoring school? xx

      Delete
    2. No, third attempt I'm ashamed to say.

      Delete
    3. Better than my sister... fourth attempt for her. xx

      Delete
  2. I am so glad for you that there was a click between you & young Joe. There are so many excellent teachers out there, all with a different style & since we all learn in a different way, it's important to find the one that works well with you. I agree unlearning is a challenge, but I have no doubt you'll persevere through this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. I've only had the one session with him but I do like his approach where you practice to focus on one aspect of playing in each exercise or scale. The unlearning is not easy but can be done so I just need to get on with it! xx

      Delete
  3. Joe sounds exactly like my old piano teacher. (Many moons ago). A lot was taught through scales and 5 finger exercises. I also took 3 exams, but decided not to go further. My Mum who only had one exam was a much better piano player than I am, she would only have to hear some music once and could then play it. I have always had to have music in front of me. It sounds as if you will get a lot out of these lessons. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always play from music as well. Do you ever regret giving up on your piano lessons? xx

      Delete
    2. I sometimes regret giving up piano lessons, but I had played on a stage in front of an audience and got very nervous. This decided it for me as I didn't like playing in front of people, although I enjoyed playing for me. I was also in a choir at the same time and we had choir practice once a week, we also used to compete in Eisteddfods, including Llangollen. We even made a single and an LP. Helen S.

      Delete
    3. I totally understand what you mean about playing in front of an audience. It's something I hate although I can cope playing in a brass band or orchestra, just not any form of solo performance. It sounds like you were in a very good choir, doing all those things. xx

      Delete
  4. It all sounds very promising and encouraging. I'm sure you will make some great progress. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very positive about it all. It was nice to have lesson where there was no mention of how other pupils are doing but where the focus was purely on my own learning. xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the trial lesson with Joe went very well and it all sounds like a very positive learning experience. One needs to find the right teacher for ones way of learning. I don't like learning scales and doing finger exercises, but, I know they would help a lot! Looking forward to hearing how the actual lessons go once you start them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great trial lesson and I've felt very positive about practicing at home. I like the scales and exercise approach as it allows you to concentrate on a technique rather than interpreting a piece of music. So, for example, I know the notes of the scale already so can focus on getting an even tone/touch on each note - a problem that's arisen partly because of the difference of practicing on an electric piano but playing an acoustic one in the lesson. I also wonder how easy it was for C to hear the real tone in an online lesson. It's something I need to correct anyway and I find this approach a relatively easy way to do it. xx

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad it went well! You really seem to enjoy playing the piano and will be nice to learn new pieces and new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I do love playing the piano and am looking forward to where these lessons take me. xx

      Delete
  7. How nice that all your lessons will be grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, can I match the grandeur of the instrument though? xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts