All About ... Home, Garden and Garage

I'm still working through Einaudi's L'Onde ... practice makes perfect!
 

Today's task is to reclaim my music room. Guess which idiot thought it would be a good idea to use the room as a dumping ground in the lead up to Christmas and now has to sort it all out? It would have been so much easier to do it properly in the first place and now there's a sense of urgency as I want to resume piano lessons as soon as possible so need to return the room to a space that's conducive to learning. I'll be phoning the music school where I'd like to have face-to-face lessons later today and hopefully will be able to get a lesson slot arranged.

So, plans for my home in 2023 is really a continuation of dealing with the tolerations and silent to-do lists. The bits I did last year have made a tremendous difference to how I feel and how I use my home so I am keen to continue and get these lists finished which inevitably means it's going to be another expensive year, but it will be money well spent.

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I need a new mattress so that's been chosen and I will reorder as soon as I know which day I'm committed to piano lessons. I also need to replace the oven but am hesitating about placing the order. I have chosen the model I want, which I can afford but the installation costs (the part I can't do myself) will add an additional £120 to the cost and I can't afford that at present. I have the option of asking nephew A or neighbour S but don't know if either of them can deal with the electrical side of the installation ... I suppose I just need to swallow my pride and ask one or both of them and then I'll know! The washing machine is also on its way out but I won't replace it until absolutely necessary.

I still need to get the heating checked as three radiators aren't working, but they are in rooms I'm not heating. I'm plenty warm enough so will wait until the boiler service and ask the engineer to sort out the radiators at the same time. He is also going to improve the water flow to the external tap on the back wall of the house which needs to be done before I have to resume watering duties again, and while he is looking at water flow and pressure I will ask him to check the taps in the family bathroom as the flow to the sink is poor. 

To finish off in the house, the spare bedroom still has to be decorated (not a priority but it will be nice to get it done) and in the hall to cover up where there was a water leak right at the start of the very first lockdown. I'd love to replace/ upgrade the kitchen to get rid of the glossy cabinets and swap round the positions of the sink and the washing machine but I can't see that happening this year.  

Next the garage. This is an easy one. The garage door is scheduled to be replaced next week and the money came from last year's budget, but I may have to reschedule as my next eye appointment has come through for the same day. I'm hoping to change the hospital appointment but if not, the garage door will have to wait. Once that's done the only thing to do in the garage is to improve the lighting which S has already said he'll do for me ... the electrics are in place, I just have to buy the fittings.

And finally, the garden. The pergola will be constructed this year and I'm assuming they will wait until the warmer weather and apart from that there is the unknown cost of replacing the plants that didn't survive the snow and buying whatever I decide to put in the three planters as well as choosing this year's annuals. 

Well done if you've got this far. Sorry, I went on a bit but it is nice to write it all down and get it sorted in my mind! 

Changing the subject completely, I realised I hadn't included one of my photos in my monthly challenge post so have gone back and added it ... under M, a photo of the King for monarch or majesty.

Comments

  1. It's great to have a clear vision of what needs doing and in what order, we often sit and work out our budget, always doing the biggest jobs first, we have 2 companies coming to quote for 2 replacement huge windows in the front of our house, once they are done we can decorate both rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a big job on with replacement windows and decorating. I hope it all goes smoothly for you both.

      I've always been a planner and for me, the planning stage is part of the enjoyment. I'll be glad to get these bigger jobs out of the way this year. xx

      Delete
  2. Another well thought out post! I still need to sit down and write out a list or two - I know I want to get the house maintenance projects done, this year, but, I need to list everything that needs to be done before I can call a contractor to take a look and give me an estimate. Just getting the list compiled will be enough for January!
    I'm looking forward to reading about your progress on each of these areas in the months to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. You can never have too many lists and I'm having fun with mine! Good luck with your list making and arranging for quotes ... hope it works out for you. xx

      Delete
  3. Excellent plans which should make a big difference. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I won't know what to do with myself once I've got it all done! xx

      Delete
  4. That is a great plan for the new year. I've put off a review of our tolerances & silent to do's until after the weekend. Heating, water & electricity are all things that do require the experts & it always shocks me the costs of those trades. I am certainly enjoying our new washer/dryer but it took a big chunk of our December budget - thankfully they are white so they looked stunning with a big red Christmas bow on them (col). I am most excited for you to hear more about the piano lessons & the final sort out of the music room :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. The costs of the trades is astronomical and I know how lucky I am to have S' help with my nephew as back up. I would be this far forward with sorting my tolerances and silent to do list without all his help. The cost of washer dryers was another big shock which is why I'll be waiting until it's absolutely necessary.

      The piano lessons are booked and I start this week. I'm still working on the music room ... I got distracted by a jigsaw so spent most of my time working on that instead!! xx

      Delete
  5. That's quite a list! We have a lot of decisions to make this year regarding decorating the house and replacing things. I don't like dealing with strange people but I am just going to deal with it otherwise nothing will get done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long list but hopefully I will get it done this year and then it'll be over and done with. I know what you mean about dealing with all the contractors but I can't do it myself, so it's unavoidable and I want the work done more than I want to avoid dealing with strangers. Good luck with all you have to do. xx

      Delete
  6. I agree that getting your thoughts down is good, changes them from ideas to goals. And I always enjoy your planning ahead and seeing it come to fruition. When you get your Christmas dumping ground cleared, can you let me know where you think I might have hidden my Lladro figurines that usually grace the top spot on our family room bookcases, but were taken down for Christmas decorating. I think putting everything in one place might be a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no longer my dumping ground and I've reclaimed it as my music room but sadly it didn't spark any thoughts on where your Lladro figurines may be. I hope you find them soon ... start looking in all the unexpected, stupid places as that's where they are bound to be hiding. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts