Me on Monday

Me on Monday is researching and reviewing all things health, food and exercise related ...

... researching the current advice on food from a health point of view and deciding what changes I need to make. As well as dealing with the potential diabetes issue I also need to ensure that any changes I implement do not aggravate the diverticulitis nor result in more frequent migraines or increase the severity of the ones I do get. 

... reviewing my existing meal plan and making changes as necessary. From a diabetes point of view there are some small changes that I must do but on the whole, my food choices follow the advice on the NHS and Diabetes UK sites which is a relief because I am already restricted on what I can eat because of allergies. However, from a weight loss point of view I do need to make changes. Portion sizes have crept up again so I need to start weighing things properly again.

... recording my day, starting a detailed food and health diary again. This will not only help me but will also provide information to show the doctor and/or the diabetes nurse at the surgery.

... creating, and hopefully sticking to, an exercise plan. Actually calling it a 'plan' is a bit OTT but I have given myself a stern talking to and will be resuming an approach that was successful for a while in the past. I'm aiming for 30 minutes per day minimum (but it doesn't have to be completed in one session) and for each day I have listed suggested activities, so today I have the choice of an online strengthening class (40mins), walking (15 mins), exercise bike (15 mins), or steps (15 mins) ... it doesn't matter which I choose but I have to do 30 minutes minimum over the course of the day. If I have some stickers left from my teaching days I may even make myself a star chart šŸ˜‚

... looking after my emotional health, adding a selection of activities to the diary. I'm finding this lockdown harder than the first one so having a few things to look forward to can only help. This week there's choir tonight, a cooking demo on Wednesday, a talk on Big Ben on Thursday, and a Harry Potter quiz on Friday. 

... feeling positive that these changes will be successful and that the desired outcomes are waiting in the near future for me to grab!

Comments

  1. Could you use a smaller plate so less looks like more. Some of it is definitely visual for me!
    I'm challenging myself with the hundred day challenge. Some form of exercise every day for a hundred days. It doesn't have to be long and it can be all sorts of things but it must be specifically exercise, not just ironing or housework!
    I like the ide of the records, not just for info but to remind you haw far you have come.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haw??? I meant how, of course, sorry.

      Delete
    2. I will try a smaller plate although it didn't noticeably make a difference before. The thing that will help me is to sit up to the table and eat slowly - sort of make a bigger thing of each meal and give my brain and body more time to feel full.

      I've commented on your post but would like to join you on a 100 Day Challenge. I've completed my 30 minutes for today and more - a 15 minute walk indoors and am online 1 hour stretch and strengthen class (although I couldn't do all of the leg exercises). Feeling smug though!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have a very good action plan to tackle the challenges of health, food, and exercise! I like your positive attitude. That's wonderful that you are already following a diabetes friendly diet. Maybe you can discuss the food allergies, etc. with a dietician who can help you work around them. I just found out, the other day, that I have a mild allergy to honeydew melons! Keeping a food and exercise diary is a good idea, as is portion control. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm on the right track. I speak to my doctor tomorrow morning so will have some idea about the scale of the problem and can take it from there. The diabetes nurse at the clinic deals with nutrition and I will ask for a referral to see her if he doesn't offer one. I've kept one of these diaries before and it's a great help in spotting trends that I otherwise may not notice.

      Hope you have a great week too xx

      Delete
  3. It is very difficult these days not to have food as a reward & main focus. Let's hope when you talk with your doctor that the potential of diabetes is a warning, which means you can get on top of it before becoming a problem. I chuckle at the star chart - visual is always a good motivator :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that this is a warning. That's what the letter suggests but I will know tomorrow when I speak to my doctor, so it's not long to wait.

      I will definitely have a start chart now I've decided to do the 100 day exercise challenge!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    We need to take care of our health.
    Food and exercise are necessary.
    I like to walk, but the weather here is rainy.
    Let's wait for better days!
    Your plans will work.
    Hugs and good week.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had lots of half-hearted attempts to sort out my weight so this is definitely a wake up call and I have to sort things out. I know I'll get there, I'm just juggling all the information at the moment.

      I hope you're doing okay and that you have a good week. xx

      Delete
  5. 30 minutes a day sounds like a great goal, and you have a good variety to choose from. Nice! I hope your dr visit goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. 30 minutes feels achievable as a start. I really enjoyed the new strength one I did today even though I missed out some of the leg ones. I speak to my doctor tomorrow and hopefully there will be time to discuss knee issues, although the diabetes will have to take priority.

      Delete
  6. Glad to read that you have an appointment for tomorrow. Hope it goes well and you have just received a warning and it is nothing too serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spoken to my doctor this morning and have written about it in today's post so won't repeat it here, except to say that the situation in not as dire as I was expecting and is completely reversible.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts