Saturday

Yesterday did not go well! In addition to the planned lack of internet there were also several unexpected power cuts, so I didn't get much done. I finished sorting the paperwork but with no electricity couldn't start the shredding which I may be secretly pleased about because I really wasn't in the mood for that! My supermarket delivery turned up early (only two sensible substitutions, so that was good) but having the front door open to carry all the bags inside let what little warm air there was escape from the house. Once I'd put all the shopping away I was chilled through, the house was cold and no power meant no heating, so I found an extra blanket to snuggle under and settled down for some serious reading time!

I did have the gumption to switch the light on to know when the power returned so I was able to have hot drinks. It's the sort of situation when I would normally have filled a thermos flask but I broke my only one last year and haven't replaced it yet. Serves me right, but guess what I will be ordering today!

Everything is back to normal today so I'll be on kitchen duties this morning, cooking up some batches of soups. I'll keep some in the fridge for lunches and the rest will be frozen in portions to use as and when. 

After listening to the news last night I am changing my plans for today's walk. I was thinking about driving over to Westbury to walk along the top of the White Horse, about 3½ miles away to kill two birds with one stone by also giving the car a run out, but there was a report about two women who were stopped by the police and fined for driving five miles to get to where they planned to walk. It seems that in this lockdown all exercise must be taken close to home. Luckily there are plenty of good walking opportunities around the village so I will head in the opposite direction to the more popular walks and see if I can find a way of accessing the fields beyond the racing stables.

I may do some of the shredding today but there's no rush to finish it, so it's more likely that I'll keep myself amused with Italian practice, piano, and reading. I don't know how the stay at home rules impact on going out to take some photos as part of my walk so will need to investigate before I take my camera out. Would that count as a leisure activity? It's clear on the government website that outdoor time is for the purpose of exercise only.

Comments

  1. I think the police may have been over enthusiastic in fining those two women but best to stay near to home and stay local. Who'd have thought this time last year we'd be being told what we can and can't do, it's so depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is depressing. It seems that the police force in question has now received clarification on the rules and are reviewing all the fines issued, but it does introduce another level of worry. I'd have considered five miles to be in my local area so it's a mistake I could have made myself. Maybe the government needs to clarify!

      Delete
  2. Poor women but I guess it's a sign that things are being enforced rather more seriously this time. I think it is hard on them though as it was likely a genuine mistake. Surely a warning would have done?
    I am hoping that they view allotment digging as exercise because it really is.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does mean that things are being enforced properly this time but do think clarification is required on the distance from home still classed as the local area.

      Our local allotments are still open in this lockdown so you should be okay. Is it council owned? If so, check their website for the latest rules update.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you - the rules need to be clear, and then properly and consistently enforced by all police forces. I think 5 miles is a perfectly reasonable distance to drive. Anything less than that and it wouldn't have been necessary - so why make the provision in the first place?

      It's a beautiful day here but no walking. To meet halfway would mean a 10 min drive each and G's not keen. I'm not too bothered about that (traffic flow just like normal here - grrr) but I am spooked by the new variants, and how they are seriously affecting younger and fitter people, with less particle exposure. So I'm taking it easy for now.

      Glad you got your heating back. I'm in three pairs of socks and wrapped in a blanket but I'm seriously considering getting into bed with a book!!

      Delete
    3. According to the report I read the women were told that carrying a coffee meant that the proposed event was classed as a picnic, not exercise. The way the rules have been interpreted is ridiculous.

      I sorry you can't meet with G but am so glad to hear you are treating the news of the new variant with extra caution. Stay safe.

      Oh, one last thing .... you need to wear more than three pairs of socks and a blanket to stay warm!😂😂😂😂

      Delete
  3. Brrrr!!! I'm sorry your warm air escaped and happy to hear power is back. Police everywhere seem to need clarification imo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cosy and warm today, quite the opposite of yesterday. I'm not good for anything when I get cold!
      Clear instructions are definitely needed!

      Delete
  4. I always carry my camera with me whenever I go out. I am out for a walk and taking photos, not out for a photography trip. That will be my excuse anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been out for days.We have snow now which is making going out treacherous.Just couldn’t risk falling.Cases here are rising at an alarming rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have snow but definitely, like the rest of the country, see the number of infections rising out of control.

      Take care x

      Delete
  6. Glad your power has been restored and the heat is back on! Glad, too, that your groceries were delivered. Sounds like you will have a busy morning in the kitchen! Maybe you might need to take cell phone pictures when you are out and about, walking? I'm sure the police won't have any objections to people carrying a cell phone with them! We, in California, are being asked not to travel more than 120 miles from home, but, over here, "travel" tends to mean flying, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't take too long and now the freezers are full.

      120 miles! Oh I wish we could do that and then I could get to the sea. We were chatting today and wondered if the restrictions on travel are to prevent people doing just that - thinking back to the horrendous scenes of crowding last year.

      I'll take my phone with me and see how it goes

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts