Me on Monday

Me on Monday is ...

... feeling under the weather. I think it's the start of a cold or possibly an allergic reaction but it's taking its time deciding what it is and I'm getting fed up with it. It's been hanging around all weekend, just bad enough to feel unwell and lethargic and I'm tired out with the constant sneezing. You may have guessed that I'm feeling sorry for myself!

... relaxing as much as I can. I haven't slept much since Friday but there's nothing requiring my immediate attention so I will have as quiet a day as I can.

... currently reading Wild Fire by Ann Cleeves. This is the final one in her Shetland series and, as with all her other books, I'm enjoying it.

... slightly concerned that the neighbour issue isn't over. Yesterday there was a note through my door, this time asking if I wanted any shopping - this is a new thing that has never been offered before. My initial reaction was of anger but when I calmed down I thought that she probably sees it is a way of being helpful and it may be her way of testing the waters to see if I am still upset with her. I haven't replied yet but I will decline the offer as I have everything I need, and more, until my supermarket delivery next week, and I already have my family and friends for this sort of support if needed. She has ignored the fact that I have asked her to leave me alone so I'm not too happy with having yet more unwelcome attention to deal with. I don't like confrontation in any form and just want to be left alone.

... looking forward to choir practice tonight. We start learning a new selection of songs to take us up to Easter. This week we're looking at Penny Lane, Time of My Life, and The Way You Look Tonight - I do know all of them but not as the two-part arrangements we will be singing. Or rather, the others will be singing - I will be listening in between sneezes! It's just as well we are muted on Zoom!

Comments

  1. Sorry to "hear" you are feeling under the weather, and hope you'll soon be on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I am feeling much better today xx

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better soon. Oh dear about your neighbour, probably well meaning but won't get the message. I had a similar issue myself recently and decided I don't need to tell my neighbour anything and I didn't answer the door to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the approach I will take and hope she gets the message.

      Delete
  3. A few weeks back I thought I was coming down with a call - it wasn't anything thankfully, but it does make you wonder, how does it happen, since we aren't in close contact with anyone! Hope you feel better quickly & it isn't a cold. Oh dear, that neighbour does sound persistent. Happy choir practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this must be an allergic reaction as I don't see where I could have caught a cold - I haven't been out or had contact with anyone. It's much better today.

      Delete
  4. It could very well be a sort of conciliation move. I get asked this from time to time too. See how it develops - if she is wise, she will take your word for it and maybe only ask occasionally. Would it help to say you are fine and don't need any help from her but if you ever do need help, you will keep her in mind (no promises or commitment there)?
    Hoping you feel better as the day goes on.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately talking to her only seems to encourage her. I think stopping any conversation is the only thing that will work. I do get asked occasionally by other neighbours which is fine but they are not upset when I say no. The behaviour of this woman however is particularly odd and I want to shut it down completely before it gets out of hand.

      Delete
  5. I hope you feel better, soon; hopefully, it is allergies and not a cold. It sounds like your neighbor wants to help; perhaps do as Joy has suggested above and let her know you are fine but, you'll let her know if you ever need help? Enjoy choir this evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is an allergy and it's much better today thanks.

      The difficulty is that she wants to give help where it is neither needed nor wanted and it's her own need/want to help that is the most important thing to her. I don't want to have to deal with her temper if she's not getting her own way so am choosing to stop all conversation, if possible.

      Delete
  6. Hope you’re feeling better soon and that your neighbour ‘gets the message’ and leaves you alone. I worked my way through the Shetland books the year I concentrated on seres and thoroughly enjoyed them. Here’s to reading more of Anne Ceeves - I believe she has a new series in the making with one released recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know her latest book is set in Devon and I think that's the first of her new series. I haven't read it yet but it's on the list!

      Delete
  7. Yikes that neighbour! I think I would just ignore the note altogether.

    The book sounds good. I enjoy watching Shetland and Vera. I don't suppose we will get new ones of either this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have ignored it and so far haven't heard anything else from her.

      I do like Ann Cleeves' style of writing and have loved all of her books so far. I have added her new series of books, set in Devon, to my reading list. There's supposed to be two new episodes of Vera ready for release this year ... I hope that's true.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you're not feeling well and hope you'll feel better soon. A Facebook friend has also recently recommended Ann Cleeves.

    I think your neighbor is just trying to help. She's probably making this same offer to many people in the community and may hate to exclude you in that. I've gotten similar offers, but nothing so insistently persistent. I agree that ignoring it is best. I'm not even sure how one would say "no" to a note through the door.

    Your choir zoom gathering sounds like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is trying to be helpful but it seems to only be directed at me. None of the others have been bothered by her but maybe they put a stop to it years ago. I will just continue to say no!

      It is fun ... the high spot of the week!

      Delete
    2. Ah, bummer. Yeah, if she's targeting just you that's not good. And even less good that she's keeping it up even after you told her to leave you alone. Life's hard enough these days without the added stress of this :(

      Delete
    3. I think it may be because I live alone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts