Thursday

I'll start by apologising for not responding to your comments yesterday. I did read them all but yesterday turned out to be much busier than planned and I ran out of time. Sorry.

The morning's cooking session resulted in four fishy freezer meals and enough chicken for three meals, tray bake last night and the rest of the chicken to be used today and tomorrow. The Italian cooking session turned out to be disappointing from my point of view. My primary reason for watching is to learn the language but that's not the focus of the sessions - the presenter briefly mentions the Italian word if she remembers, more as an afterthought so I doubt I will bother to watch any future sessions.

My sister messaged to ask if I wanted any more books so I phoned to say yes and have a quick chat. Ninety minutes later I got off the phone - she can talk for England! - and was debating what to do next when the door bell rang and it was her husband delivering the books. I couldn't ask for better service! Now I've moved some of my local history books to the bookcase I don't have as much room for novels so will need to find space for them in the music room once their quarantine period is over.

Today I want to print out some recipes. I'd like at some stage to try a few weeks (a month?) of vegetarian eating so I will need to work out a meal plan for that. It won't happen until I've eaten up the home cooked meat/fish meals currently in the freezer so I have plenty of time to work it all out. I'd also like to retry some of the veggies I think I don't like and there are some that, as far as I can remember, I have never tried. I know my tastes have changed over the years so I'll be interested to see what I think of my 'don't likes' now. If any of you have favourite tried and tested vegetarian recipes, I'd love some suggestions please ... just no avocado (makes my tongue swell and my throat close up) and not too heavy on the garlic.

I've successfully completed the first 3 days of the 100 days exercise challenge. Today will be a seated session for seniors.

Comments

  1. Wow, you were really busy in the kitchen! Well done! Too bad the Italian cooking session was disappointing. Nice of your sister to send you the books so quickly! Good luck with the vegetarian meals! I tried to go vegetarian, one time, but, found it really difficult (maybe because I don't like vegetables all that much in the first place!). I just cooked rice and curries, with lentils and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that a true vegetarian diet will work for me but I'd like to give it a try. Veggie curries sound good to me!

      I'm disappointed about the cooking with Italian but I'm sure there are other options available on YouTube if I look for them.

      Luckily I have the same reading tastes as my sister. Her one indulgence is to buy new books, rather than second hand, and once read they come to me. I pass them on to a friend, who passes them on .... and so it continues.

      Delete
  2. I have a recipe for bean and lentil bake with sweet mashed potato, it's really one of my favourite veggie meals. Once I've settled in "round the corner" I'll drop it in and you can give it a try xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried any of the Cranks recipes? I have a couple of their recipe books and the ones I've made were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had a look online at the Cranks recipes - another resource for me to use, so many thanks for mentioning them. xx

      Delete
  4. You have been busy in the kitchen. I know there are lots of web sites for those leaning into meatless meals. Do you eat soy products? How's the finding of a Italian speaking penpal? Did you two contact as yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading your comment I searched online for meatless meals (rather than searching for vegetarian) and have found several sites with meal plans for people wishing to try that way of eating. I've printed some out as my starting point ... I will need to tweak them as they all include avocado and dairy, but it'll save me a lot of time. Many thanks for the suggestion, xx

      Delete
  5. Well done. I haven't done mine yet as I've been quite busy but it will be step, balance and bounce!

    Guess what jumped into my supermarket trolley this morning. A certain cookery book called Doctor's Kitchen 3-2-1. I blame you, of course!!! ;-)
    zz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you just have no willpower! I hope you enjoy the recipes. xx

      Delete
  6. That's a shame about the lack of Italian in the cooking class. Hope you find a better alternative. (I can send you to some YouTube crochet tutorials in Italian if that's any good?!) I do like a nice yak on the phone but 90 mins in the middle of the day sounds potentially a bit much. Mind you - one evening last week I had a 5.5 hour call! I put the phone down after midnight - tired, hungry and needing the loo. So do I win?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disappointing but I'm sure I'll find a good replacement. I'll pass on the crochet tutorials if you don't mind - I find it hard enough to follow the ones in English!

      Yes you win. My longest call recently was 4½ hours so you win by a whole hour!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting more books. Having books I haven't read gives me a feeling of security :) The exercise challenge sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same with books. I like to have plenty that I haven't read but then it gets too many and I have to pass some on unread.

      I'm doing well with the challenge - it's come along at the right time for me and I have something to focus on.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts