Changing Things Round

Yesterday turned out of be a lovely day. I only did my usual daily activities but I changed the order I did them in and it made all the difference. I like to have a structure to my day. It suits me and has played a big part in helping me cope with the isolation of lockdown but instead of being a loose framework to enhance the rhythm of the day, lately I've been aware that this seems to have evolved into a rigid timetable which isn't what I want at all. So yesterday I decided to ring the changes and see how I felt about it. I was pleased with how I responded to the changes, feeling more relaxed and generally enjoying each chosen activity ... being more 'in the moment' definitely has its plusses!

I usually start the day with knee strengthening followed by whatever exercise I decide on for the day, followed by breakfast but yesterday I started with breakfast ... soft boiled egg with toast soldiers and an apple to finish. I'm trying to focus and enjoy each activity I choose to do, so breakfast was a much more relaxed affair than it has been lately and I even made the time to lay the table, something I haven't bothered with for ages. 

It was cold but dry, so I opened up the windows and French doors to give the house a good airing while I prepared the vegetables for my main meal and cleared the table. As I closed each window I wiped the windowsill to save having to do it next week. Doing it this way didn't seem to take any time at all but it always feels like a big job when it's on the to-do list for some reason! I'd normally do my Italian and piano practices next but instead took advantage of the lack of rain and went for a walk around the marina. I took a load of phone photos for my monthly challenge and one for the WPSH so won't include them here. This is the only one that wasn't for one of the challenges so, although it's not a particularly good photo, I do like the light and will attempt some better ones with my DSLR.


I should have wrapped up warmer but despite feeling chilled I did enjoy the walk. I was out for about 40 minutes so in the end I exercised for longer than I would have done at home. I was expecting it to be busy as it's the first dry day for a while but it was surprisingly quiet ... I only saw three other people, all walking on their own and all too far away to be of concern about maintaining social distancing.

I had a mug of steaming hot coffee to warm me through when I got home and enjoyed that while I checked my emails, and then tackled the last bit of filing and shredding, started a load of washing, and cooked my main meal ... roast chicken, roast potatoes and carrots, with sprouts, runner beans and the last bit of cauliflower. I didn't think the veg was going to last until Sunday hence a roast dinner on a Friday. While that was cooking I did my knee exercises, Italian practice, and booked myself on some more freebie online activities ... more about those another day.

By the time I'd eaten and cleared away it was still only mid afternoon so I made camp in the living room and whiled away the rest of the day reading and playing online puzzle games. I didn't tackle the piano practice until the evening which was a bit of a mistake on my part ... it didn't go too well so it's something I need to do earlier in the day while I still have one or two brain cells capable of functioning properly and before my hands get too painful.

I watched some TV - A Question of Sport and Would I Lie To You - then a soak in the bath, a bit more reading, an an early-ish night. Sleep is proving to be rather elusive again and I'm often still wide awake into the early hours but I am sticking to my bedtime routine. I'm thinking of it in terms of 'going to bed' rather than 'going to sleep' and count the lying in bed part as a form of relaxation.

Today I want to tackle various odd jobs around the house and, if the promised rain holds off, take some photos in the garden. There'll be a flying visit from R and a Zoom meeting with friends to look forward to and I also have the pleasant task of choosing my next book to read. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a good day! Glad you enjoyed your walk. There have been a lot of people out and about recently despite the cold. I do miss the days of walking without seeing anyone! I like the light in that photo. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how changing things around a little bit can make such a big difference, isn't it? Glad you had a good day.

      Delete
    2. Sharon - yes, I did enjoy the walk thanks. I stayed close to the marina where I'd expect there to be people about. Usually I walk out along the towpath where it's quieter but there was no need this time.

      Delete
    3. Bless - because I was doing my normal activities I wasn't expecting changing things round to make that much difference, but it did and I had a great day.

      Delete
  2. You bare so brilliantly organised and I know what you mean about a routine to each day. It's quite grounding, I find. I like that you are taking each thing thoughtfully and with focus. It really increases the enjoyment and satisfaction, doesn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. Lockdown has definitely made me slow down and that slower pace of life is something I want to continue. I need to learn how to focus on the moment rather than fussing about 'what I need to do next'.

      Delete
  3. With our activities so limited, we often mix our days about, I normally like to do all the chores in the morning and have fun in the afternoons, but there are less chores to do, so I am trying to get a couple days of pure me time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually save the weekends for chore free me time and fit in the chores on weekdays, usually mornings like you. I was getting too rigid in organising my days so this was an experiment in changing things round, which worked better than I thought it would.

      Delete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    Breaking the routines is very healthy and doing some tasks helps, because it lightens the load;)) !! Glad you are able to relax!
    The photo looks beautiful. I also liked the light!
    Have a good weekend.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The change definitely did me some good and is something I will do again.

      Thanks for your comment on the photo.

      Delete
  5. To fly, ah! Sorry, it's an in joke, you might get it if you are a mathmagician. But otherwise it's to do with pi/pie. I often make pies and cut them into portions for the freezer. Usually two portions each, and I always label GMs 2 pie R (and yes, he is a mathmagician). With apologies to anyone to whom this sounds like gobbledegook x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I got it! I had to read your comment twice though and initially thought you had commented on the wrong post. It also crossed my mind that you're crazy but then I do know you so ...... 🤣🤣

      Delete
  6. It's a pretty photo. Bodes well for those to follow! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I want to walk down to the next bridge and look back so need the morning sun, which means getting up and out of the house bright an early. I'm not too good at bright and early so watch this space!

      Delete
  7. I think it's a willingness to adapt, to be flexible even within a general schedule that helps me. Opening the house for an airing is always nice, and they do say fresh air and good air circulation in indoor spaces is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That flexibility is what I'm aiming for and to stop over-controlling how I spend my time.

      I think the worst part of winter is having to choose between staying warm and letting some fresh air in!

      Delete
    2. Yes! lol I prefer hot to cold weather, so in the heat of the summer I have all the windows and doors open, while in the winter (which is mild here in Memphis) I crack one window in a bedroom and open the door a tiny bit. How much air circulation I'm actually getting is anybody's guess.

      Delete
    3. Mum used throw all the windows open on a Sunday morning all through the winter. I always helped in the kitchen so I could stand near the Rayburn where it was lovely and warm!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts