Tuesday

Yesterday was almost entirely taken up with sorting out my will. In the end, it wasn't quite as straightforward as I thought it would be but the solicitor provided clear and easy to understand advice on the revised tax implications/probate and helped me future proof my wishes as much as is possible. The Zoom meeting lasted for almost three hours instead of the one hour I was expecting but I'm pleased with how the consultation went and am confident that the document will reflect my wishes. I'll receive it for signature within 28 days, so that'll be one less thing to worry about.

I had already set up a power of attorney but it isn't easy to cover all the bases and I discussed this briefly with him as it's a service they also offer. I know it's something I can do for myself online using the government website to keep the costs down but I think it'll be worth paying for it to be done properly as the instructions in the document have the potential to impact on my quality of life in the future. Just this brief chat made me realise that mine needs updating to clarify some of my wishes so he's sending me the details of their charges and I can decide what I want to do.

I now have brain ache and have decided that I've done enough grown up stuff to last the week so I'm reverting to my child brain, i.e. my normal brain, and am looking forward to a leisurely week of pottering and fun things. Today's fun things include flute or clarinet, reading, sudoku online, and some more family tree research.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you made great progress on getting the important documents and legal arrangements sorted. How nice that you were able to get so much done through a Zoom meeting! I hope the rest of your week goes well; I'm glad you have some fun things planned to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relieved that it's done ... well I still need to sign the will but the hardest part is over. The Zoom meeting format worked well for this.

      Fun is the order of the day from now until next Monday 😁

      Delete
  2. That was one very long meeting, wasn't it. I'm glad you were happy with how it all went.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long meeting but well worth the time spent. Once I sign the document I won't have to worry about it again and he's taken account on the tax and probate changes to make it easier, hopefully, for my executors.

      Delete
  3. Yeah for lawyer time being done & successful. I am in full agreement with you, we need more days of play. Not to sound pessimistic, but I believe many this side of the pond & world at large are holding their breathe for the uSA's change of leadership after Wednesday this week. I think we will all breathe a sigh of relief & will need to find some play time for it is often through play that we bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a list of 21 projects for 2021 so have completed the first one, or will do once I sign the will. None of the other projects are urgent so my aim is to take my time to get them done. In between working on projects it will all be about enjoying myself.

      I think the new US leadership will come as a huge relief to many. Only one day to go!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts