Tuesday

I delayed writing this post until after I'd spoken to my doctor and I'm glad I did because I feel much more positive now. The blood test results show that I am currently in the grey area between being okay and actually having diabetes. Although this is often referred to as prediabetes, he think that terminology suggests an inevitable progression to diabetes and that's not the case. He assured me that there is every chance I can change the results through diet and exercise. Even if it does progress to diabetes it will be an age related thing and may not even require any medication.

We discussed my options and he's asked me to complete the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme, which I've already booked myself on from the information in the original letter. I've received confirmation that I have a place on a course which starts next week. It's a nine month course, run fortnightly initially but changing to monthly after the first two months, ending with a one-to-one meeting. This is usually an in person course but because of Covid will take place online, which suits me better to be honest. This course starts with dietary information so I won't make any major changes just yet.

Looking online, the latest advice from the NHS and Diabetes UK seems to be that no foodstuff is banned, but obviously it's important to make good choices so I've been looking through my meal plan, changing things round and making tweaks where necessary. I want to make some changes anyway to include more vegetarian meals and to look at whether I am making the best choices for weight loss. I think I have found a veggie supplier who delivers locally and where I can choose exactly what I want rather than buying the weekly selection. I'll sort out an order later today, just to see what the quality is like. I also had a very kind offer from Joy to either share a veggie box or add to her shopping order if there was anything I needed.

As well as the food side of things I also need to establish a decent exercise routine so to help me with that I am joining the other Joy in a 100 days exercise challenge - only specific exercise activity counts, so I can't count any housework as exercise! My aim is to achieve a minimum of 30 minutes every day. Yesterday I did a 15 minute walk indoors and most of a 1 hour online strengthening class for seniors. Today I've already done a 15 minutes walk indoors and will do 15 minutes on the exercise bike later on.

So, it's up to me now and I can't see any reason why I can't turn this around. I have to book a blood test in July so see how things are progressing so I'm hoping that the next six months will show a significant change in the right direction.

Comments

  1. SO much better news, that's very good to read. I'm sure you can turn it round and it's great that you have a place on the course. I guess you're doing everything you can do aren't you?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good news and I was relieved to hear it. I think I'm doing as much as I can for now though it's possible that the course will highlight other changes I'd benefit from.

      Delete
  2. Well that was good news from your doctor. And how fabulous that you & Joy live close enough that a shared veggie basket is an ideal solution to easily increasing your veggie intake. I am still working on increasing my bean & legume consumption & as a vegetarian you would think I'd be better at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great news and I feel more positive for a favourable outcome. I'm okay with beans and legumes but need to puzzle out how to order enough veg for variety without buying so much that I can't eat it before it goes off.

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of the 100 day exercise challenge. Are you able to email me the link, rather than me having to plough through other Joy's blog posts, please ? Delighted that you'll be able to turn it round fairly easily with diet alone, I've been sugar-free since 1st Jan, and it's amazing how much difference it has made to both my weight and feelings of well-being. Sadly though, when we do get to have our meal together I won't be able to buy you any cake for dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy mentioned the challenge near the end of this post: https://my30-30challenge.blogspot.com/2021/01/monday-25-01-21.html?m=1

      It's something she had decided to do but it's not an organised thing.

      It's good news and now up to me to act of this warning and turn it around. I gave up adding sugar about 3 years ago so am on top of that already. I think I need to focus on portion control, more variety, and regular exercise.

      No cake! ... I promise to be grown up about it and not throw a tantrum in public 😂😂

      Delete
  4. Glad to read that you are feeling a little more encouraged about your diagnosis. I had gestational diabetes but have been able to keep from going into diabetes, thank goodness. Not sure the former always leads to the latter, though.
    We are doing Leslie Sansone video walks inside our house during this crazy pandemic. Wish I could report that I have lost lots of weight but that would be a fairy tale. However, we can do a 20 minute video walk and get 1500-2000 steps. And break a sweat!! She combines arm movements and a variety of leg movements with the walking. Here is the link to a 15 minute beginner walk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_SoCdUlBvM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm definitely relieved. I need to lose weight and improve my fitness but it's not as urgent as it originally seemed. The first checkpoint is in 6 months by which time I need to have made a start, so I know that's achievable.

      I do the Leslie Samson's videos from time to time. They're good aren't they.

      Delete
    2. That is very good news from the doctor! You will be able to get things turned around in short order, I'm sure. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to do so at this time. Signing up for the diabetes course sounds like a very smart move! A 100 day exercise challenge sounds like a good thing, too! Maybe something I should consider, myself!

      Delete
    3. It is the best possible news isn't it. I'm glad the course starts in a few days so I can start changing my mindset and focusing on what I need to do without a long delay.

      The 100 day challenge is perfect timing for me and by the end I should have made exercise a habit - that's my aim anyway. Yes, please do join us ... it'll be fun!

      Delete
  5. I need to join you in the fitness idea and the weight loss.I presume you are not allowed a cheeky glass of wine in the evening.That is my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I don't drink alcohol so never have that temptation. My weakness is crisps so I never keep any at home ... that way I don't get tempted. Good luck with you weight loss.

      Delete
  6. Good news about test results, I am actually a type 1 diabetic and use insulin. It is well worth looking into one of Michael Moselys books ( includes great recipes) i have embraced a lot of his recommendations and it has made a huge impact on my diabetic control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you got positive news and have a positive plan going forward. Exercise is such a key part of any healthy lifestyle. I'm grateful for all the Youtube videos available :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news indeed. I know how hard it can be to switch the mindset when necessary. I have put on a bit of weight and it shouldn't really be that hard to shift, but despite exercising more than ever it's not doing any good and the temptation to nibble is ever-present. I'm not even eating bad stuff - just too much! I'm sure that you will get excellent guidance from the course though - I have only heard good things. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts