Diabetes Prevention 2

Yesterday's diabetes prevention course was much better than the first one. It took a while to get started with participants slowing things down by failing to listen to instructions but N (the instructor) patiently sorted everyone out and the session got underway. This session was headed 'Eating Well - What Is A Balanced Lifestyle?' and, although I didn't learn any new information, the various exercises made me relate that information to my own lifestyle in a way I haven't considered before, so it was very useful from that point of view. 

One interesting point was that we as a nation are not good at assessing calories. In the first exercise we had to match calorie amounts to photos of food, and then in the second exercise had to assess how long you'd have to exercise to use up the calories those meals contained. I was better at exercise 1 though didn't get them all correct, and was completely useless at exercise 2. The point she was making was that we all underestimate the calories in, i.e. what we eat, and overestimate the calories out, i.e. how much we exercise, so it's something we need to monitor carefully.

Before the next course in two weeks time we are supposed to record all the meals eaten during a 24 hour period and also set another SMART target for an aspect of our current lifestyles we want to improve. 

I already record my daily meals in my food diary but the additional information we have been asked to note will be the most useful to me. Every time we eat or drink in that 24 hour period we are to note:
  • the reason for eating (e.g. hunger, boredom, habit)
  • the amount being eaten (e.g. is it a sensible portion size, too much)
  • what is being eaten (e.g. balanced diet, comfort food, fast food)
  • the type of meal (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack)
  • when you are eating (e.g. regular meal times, too late at night)
  • where you are eating (e.g. at the table, lap meals in front of TV)
and at the end of that 24 hour period we have to note:
  • how many times did you eat for reasons other than feeling hungry?
  • is your calories in balanced or exceeded by calories out?
  • do all food groups feature in the day's meals?
  • calorie content of each meal.
It'll be interesting to identify my own reasons for eating and identify how often I eat when I'm not hungry as I think I eat at specific times out of habit rather than as a response to hunger. Answering the bullet points listed above and relating those answers to my current lifestyle should raise habits that I will need to address ... the benefits could be considerable.

We also have to set another SMART target. My first target (set after session 1) is to work on a consistent weight loss of 1lb a week and so far that's averaging out to be on target. I think this new target needs to relate to exercise in some way but haven't yet decided what. I'm thinking along the lines of either restarting the couch to fitness course (9 weeks long, I think), or aim for a minimum of 6,000 steps every day increasing to 10,000 steps every day within 8 weeks. I was doing 7,000 steps every day before I had the last migraine so the 10,000 steps is definitely achievable.

The next course is in two weeks time so that gives me plenty of time to sort out what I want to do and to start making some of the changes. I'm feeling positive about this!

Comments

  1. If only people would learn that it's a combination of eating sensibly and also exercising. Get out walking and make it a regular habit. Don't be put off by the weather. Wet weather gear is available in the shops and also online. Walking earlier in the day is especially good for mental health and well being. I wish people would sling those step counters in the bin and just stick with a regular pattern of walking, looking around them and at nature instead of at their wretched screens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit I was unsure how to take your comment. From my point of view it's a very simplistic view and fails to show any understanding that some people suffer from other medical conditions that result in weight gain even when eating sensibly and which either prevent or make regular exercise a challenge. Yes, it is possible to buy wet weather gear but there is an assumption on your part that finances permit this sort of purchase and, speaking for myself, I have no wish to walk out in bad weather on pathways that become slippery and/or muddy. I agree that walking is good for mental health but, and it's a huge but, mental health issues can make it impossible for someone to set foot outside no matter what the weather is. I speak from personal experience about that. Personally I find the step counters to be a way of motivating myself. Everyone finds their own motivation and that works for me. I honestly don't understand why you say it makes people look at their screens all the time because that's simply not the case ... it's worn on the wrist and ignored until I check my step total later in the day.

      Delete
  2. That looks like a very helpful exercise to record meals and I believe portion size is one of the most important aspects of that. The weight loss target is very doable and you can do it. It's very different to the course my husband attended but then he has been type 2 diabetic for a long time, prevention is better than cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the exercise to consider the how, where, why, what part of eating will result in some very useful information. Portion size is key and that book you recommended is worth its weight in gold! I'm looking to buy a smaller plate to use to help with keeping the portions down - I know from experience it's really easy to let portions get gradually bigger without intending to, so I am weighing everything.

      I imagine this course is different as none of us actually has diabetes yet, but are all considered to be at risk of developing it if we don't make lifestyle changes.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad the second session was better. I like the exercise you are being asked to do - monitor what you eat, when, where, etc. I was mentally answering the questions and I eat all the wrong things at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons! :o I love the fact that you are feeling positive about it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was answering the questions while writing them down! I'm already aware of changes I can make - wait until I am hungry, sit at the table to eat, don't eat too late in the day - all of these should make a difference. I'm pretty good at eating the right things but portion size is the other thing to keep an eye on.

      Yes, I have a good reason to spur me on to make the required changes and I do feel positive about being able to turn things round.

      Delete
  4. I'm very glad it was so much better this time. It really sounds very interesting and I'm looking forward to further updates.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to look at calories in and calories out as more than just numbers and to consider how, why, what etc. I am eating. Most changes will be simple to do so I feel optimistic about changing my whole approach to mealtimes.

      Delete
  5. That is really interesting Eileen. I think portion size is a real problem nowadays. Years ago plate sizes and definitely wine glasses were much smaller! It was much easier to keep portion sizes down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I'm going to invest in a smaller plate and bowl to try to help myself, so that the correct size (smaller) portion doesn't look lost on the plate.

      Delete
  6. Yeah for strong leadership in the online workshop. Interesting exercises; had to do the same sort in a workshop called "Hungry For Change" it was about mindful eating habits & making small but "doable" goals.

    Years ago when I was part of Weight Watchers, one of the first things I learnt was the difference between serving & portion sizes. Most things have serving sizes listed, i.e. 4 crackers, (not 8), equals "XXXX" calories. I also purchased the WW serving spoons (quite large so not for eating with but serving up), along with our move to the lunch plate size rather than the dinner size plate because when you serve the correct amount of food, it looked lost on the big dinner plates.

    Cheering you on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much better organised this time and I was pleased to hear that the same woman is taking the meeting next time. Eight people seem to have dropped out but the sixteen who attended still makes for a big group.

      I'm going to get a smaller plate and bowl as soon as I can as that will definitely help. I wish there was some consistency in how the companies record the nutrition information on their packaging.

      Delete
  7. I remember how I felt when I discovered how much exercise would be required to lose a pd of weight *sigh* Exercise is good for you, but it's not such a great weight loss plan lol I tend to eat lunch and supper when it's time for them without regard for hunger and observe an intermittent fasting schedule where my meals come between noon and 6. I assume that as I exercise more and develop better muscle strength and improve my metabolism that'll help with general health. The problem in my family is more weight loss and frailty with age, so that's what I keep an eye out for. Interestingly, there are some similar concerns as diabetes management goes as far as calories and exercise. My husband is diabetic and he was told a consistent meal schedule was key, but that was so long ago I don't know if they emphasize that any more. I've never had a step counter, but our walking track at the park is measured so that I know how far I've walked. That's helpful. And the walking videos that are a certain number of steps. I love those. I love using the smaller plates.

    I'm glad this session was better. It sounds like they have a well-structured doable program. Yayeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is going to be a well structured course. The second session had certainly got me thinking about my food intake and considering more than just the calories in/balanced diet aspect. I think next time is focusing on movement and exercise. I'm not expecting speedy results. I'm aiming for a slow steady weight loss and if I can consistently lose 1 lb a week I will be happy. If I can achieve that without too much exercise I will be even happier 😂

      I tuned in to an introductory session with a qualified nutritionist today (I'll write about it tomorrow) and she mentioned intermittent fasting, which from a nutrition point of view she is not in favour of. This was just a Q&A session but her response to one question on the subject was that she felt that most people delayed their eating until too late in the day, impacting on their metabolism.

      As to the amount of exercise needed to lose a pound in weight .... it doesn't bear thinking about!

      Delete
    2. I've been eating that way since decades before it started being called "intermittent fasting" lol I haven't eaten breakfast since I was a teen, and I prefer an early supper.

      Delete
    3. I like to eat my evening meal quite early but can't miss out on breakfast. I need to eat first thing as my meds have to be taken following a meal.

      Delete
  8. That definitely sounds much more promising. Hooray. It's interesting - I have noticed in the last few years that I am the opposite in terms of the "eat when hungry" thing; if I wait till I am hungry I am far more likely to over-load my plate and then carry on gorging till I'm stuffed, whereas if I stick to regular times and pre-empt hunger, I will be satisfied with a sensible portion and not think about food till the next meal. (There's absolutely no "science" behind it, just what I happen to have noticed, I should add! It's interesting to hear what you have been learning - plenty of food for thought... If you will!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of my problem is that I eat at regular mealtimes because getting too hungry is one of my triggers for a migraine. If I wait too long to eat I start to feel ill and can't ward off the migraine even when I eat. It's learned behaviour but it's also past behaviour because now I can wait to eat without worry so I need to work on overcoming this.

      It's interesting what you say about the tendency to overeat if you wait until you are feeling hungry. I don't think I do that but will take more notice of my reasons for eating and how much I eat. It's interesting and I do wonder whether the changes I need to make are more to do with learned behaviour rather than the actual food itself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts