Friday

My first Covid vaccination is now ticked off the list. The feeling of relief on reaching this milestone is more intense than I was expecting, but in a good way. My jab was done at the Medical Centre which is the GP run vaccination hub for the town and a very jolly doctor ran me through her checklist and administered the injection. I then had to stay in the waiting room for 15 minutes before I was allowed to leave. The waiting room was monitored by one of the nurse practitioners who, as people left, was constantly disinfecting the socially distanced chairs. When my 15 minutes was up he checked how I was feeling before I left. I don't think they could have done more to put people's minds at ease. I did feel sorry for the volunteers in the car park who were supervising the parking and giving directions to the entrance (which is a huge marquee at the back of the building so that people can queue in the dry). It was pouring down when I arrived on site at 8:30am and they were both completely drenched but to their credit, still cheerful and smiling. 

As I was that side of town I checked out the Tesco Express where, to my delight, I was the only customer. I bought fruit and veg for the next week or so, and was also lucky enough to pick up some yellow sticker bargains - mushroom stir fry for 75p and cooked chicken breasts for £1, both items well under half price. It's the first time I've shopped in person for months, but it felt so good to enjoy those few minutes of near normality.

Back home I used some of the veg to make soups - lentil & veg, and red pepper & tomato - as freezer stocks were getting a bit low. I also prepped the ingredients for a couple of casseroles which will be cooked today.

As for the rest of today, I have this nagging feeling that I have arranged to do something but I can't think what it is and there is nothing in my diary. Once the casseroles are in it's just going to be a reading sort of day, which may change if I remember whatever it is I think I may have arranged to do. I'm tired, not to do with the injection, but because of the lack of sleep on Wednesday night when the noise of the wind kept me awake. We're forecast more rain so it's the perfect day for curling up on the sofa with my book and blanket.

Comments

  1. The whole vaccination programme is so well organised is truly amazing and the staff and volunteers are so friendly and welcoming. Great that you got some bargains and strange to think how doing some shopping feels like an adventure these days. Hope you remember what you've planned to do today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The organisation if it all is amazing, as is the positivity and friendliness of all the people who are involved in making it work.

      The fact that a speedy shopping trip cheered me so much shows just how daily life has changed. Something that used to be a necessary chore is now the highlight of the day!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful you have had your vaccine. Who would have thought we would all be so excited about getting a vaccination! I know how you feel when you do something normal you used to do before it is a really nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really relieved about getting it, partly for myself but mostly the knowledge that my siblings, their partners, and one niece who has a medical need have all received their first jabs as well. It a huge step forward.

      Delete
  3. Yesterday sounds like a very good day, with the vaccination taken care of and doing some grocery shopping in person! Finding the yellow sticker bargains was a bonus! Hope you remember what it was that you might have planned to do today! If not, enjoy a relaxed day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd been about 15 minutes later I think I would have picked up quite a few more bargains as the staff were in the middle of checking dates and marking up items to be reduced. At least I know what time of day to try again if I feel I want to (but not until after the three weeks I need to wait to allow the vaccine to do it's stuff!).

      Delete
  4. Yay! Glad that you have had your first vaccine.
    I was super impressed by the organisation at the hub I went to. Many volunteers who were so cheerful and hardworking. Our NHS is a wonder to behold, how lucky we are to have such dedicated people. I have always been a champion of the public sector and this bears it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have such dedicated people and I hope the government get their act together and invest once again in the NHS.

      Delete
  5. I think most of us are living with the worry & dread of COVID upon our shoulders without realizing to what extend we are carrying. The vaccine is like a breathe exhale after holding for so long. Marvelous to go shopping in person & sales no less! Cheers to a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I'm becoming increasingly aware of the level of worry underlying everything. The longer it goes on the more I worry that we (my family and friends) can't go on being this lucky but I truly hope that we do.

      Delete
  6. Yay, 1 down, 1 to go. I know from my friends who have already received it, that it does give them peace of mind. Ours is the next age group to go, but then nasty winter weather caused a few cancellations - or I should say postponements - I have every confidence they will get everyone rescheduled. Still I check the website every morning in case they have changed it, and I could register. Bless all those working so hard on this.

    We are hoping to get to the grocery today for some fresh items - I am tired of eating from the pantry, which is starting to look a bit depleted. Our freezer is down to less than half too, but I like the idea that we've rotated what is in there. Making up some soups and casseroles sounds like a good idea. I may do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get your vaccination soon and that the bad weather doesn't delay the schedule.

      It was a real pleasure to have some fresh veg mid month instead of waiting for my next delivery.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting the "jab". I am looking forward to getting mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts