Let's Talk About Food

I'm hoping to get the meal planning finished today, which will give me time to organise the next supermarket delivery and maybe fit in a trip out to the farm shop at Bradford on Avon to pick up some fresh veg. It really is strange times when a potential shopping trip for food can raise my spirits!

I've completely reviewed the meals I eat regularly and also checked the contents of freezer, fridge and cupboards to assess how radical the changes need to be. I'm focusing more on the weight loss side of things but trying to incorporate changes that I think will help with the diabetes prevention based on the advice given so far, which is that it's not necessary to give up any foods but to make sensible choices on the inclusion of carbs, thinking about how often certain foods are eaten, how much is eaten in a meal, and how certain foods are cooked.  

I think I'm in a good starting position and the changes shouldn't be too extreme! I think I already have a reasonably healthy diet: I gave up added sugar a couple of years ago, don't regularly eat cakes, pastries or sweets, and I never keep temptation in the form of biscuits, chocolate and crisps etc. in the house. I already do most of my cooking from scratch, bulk cooking where I can so I don't rely on ready meals and although I used to opt for takeaway meals more frequently than was good for me, that's been kept to the occasional treat since we've been in lockdown and is something I'm happy to stop completely if it proves necessary.

So, what changes am I going to make? Well I'm going back to calorie counting which has proved successful for me in the past and for starters will weigh everything as it's really easy for amounts to slowly get bigger and bigger. It'll be a diet based on whole foods with more meat free meals and increasing the amount of fish in my diet. I want to focus on ensuring I am eating the recommended 5-a-day, which is one aspect I struggle to achieve and is why the planning is taking so long! I'll work towards eliminating processed foods, not that I eat a lot of them anyway, although there will always be room for bacon, gammon and ham in my meal plan! It's also important that the changes I'm making don't trigger more migraines or diverticulitis flare ups, and I'll have to rethink if that happens.

I do need to add more variety, hence the recent recipe search. I've found a good selection from my books (Doctor's Kitchen 3-2-1, & Pinch of Nom) and from the internet (Slimming Eats, & Two Chubby Cubs) and will be making full use of my new book, the Carb & Calorie Counter to help with the monitoring. The format of this book also makes it simple to see how to easily make tweaks/substitutions, something which I'm sure I will do as the year progresses (and many thanks to Eileen for the recommendation). I haven't finished calculating the calories where it's not listed on the recipe, so that will be ongoing. If you do have any tried and tested recipes I'd love to hear from you please, especially for easy lunch ideas.

I've decided that I will delay moving to the new regime while I eat the remaining freezer meals and foods that either don't fit it with what I want to do or where I'm not sure of the calories (because I haven't been weighing ingredients!). This will probably take about two weeks and I think it is likely to put a stop to any weight loss for those weeks but it's better to do it now and get it out of the way.

Not food related, but the other essential part of the weight loss is establishing a decent exercise routine. I'm currently aiming for a minimum of 30 minutes every day and so far have achieved this, doing a combination of YouTube videos, walking, and torture time on the exercise bike (it's a tiny saddle!).

So, the big question is ... have I considered everything? If you have any weight loss/exercise tips I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.

Comments

  1. It all sounds very well planned and sensible to me! I think you have considered everything you possibly can. My problem has always been a lack of staying power - I'll eat well for a few days and then, I slack off! You are motivating me to get a grip on my eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be okay at sticking to it provided I have plenty of home cooked meals in the freezer for when I feel less than enthusiastic! I just need to get myself organised and then stick to it. Good luck with sorting out your own eating - it's not easy, but maybe your daughter can help you.

      Delete
  2. I agree with using what you have stored as food waste is my pet hate. You sound like you have made very good plans and unfortunately we do fall by the wayside now and then so don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking on this as a long term lifestyle change so won't be too upset if I don't see instant results. I'm sure I'll fall back into bad habits from time to time but hopefully, monitoring all my meals will help me refocus and stay on top of things. I have a very important reason to make this work which I have never had before, so hopefully the need to prevent myself developing diabetes will make all the difference this time.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have done a fair bit of research & worked out a very doable plan for yourself. Too many changes rushed in to would probably not work, slow changes that can, as you say, become life style, will probably work for the long haul. Cheering you on from this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. I have a tendency to try too much at once so am making an effort to slow down how I implement the changes this time.

      Delete
  4. I think it all looks very good and wisely economical too. It leaves the door open for little changes as you need to make them too. It's a long term thing - the rest of your life - so no need to rush things or be in any way extreme. Good for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. This approach can be as flexible as I need it to be, and it gives me the option to ring the changes from time to time. That's the plan anyway.

      I may be picking your brain occasionally ... just to warn you 😊

      Delete
  5. It looks good! I'd think counting calories would be hard, but my husband counts carbs with no trouble so people do this all the time. It's good you have a flexible plan. You won't tire of it that way. I've heard exercise can increase your metabolism, which can help with weight loss. I've rediscovered the Leslie Sansone walking videos. I'd forgotten how much I liked her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use MyFitnessPal for the calorie counting which makes it easier than you'd think. It's no different than counting carbs really.

      I think I will stick to walking (no videos) for now as it is the one that's easiest on my knee. On bad days I have a couple of options on YouTube for seated/upper body work.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts