Weekly Reflections

Reasons to be cheerful ...
  • my first WhatsApp video shopping trip with Miss C and her mum, to buy the stationery for when she goes to senior school in September
  • the fantastic news that Danielle and her husband have tested negative for Covid 19, which means ...
  • ... I no longer need to self isolate
  • celebrating Little Miss H's birthday
  • enjoying an online catch up with J and L
  • splashes of colour in the garden 
  • sunny days, blue skies, white clouds!
  • receiving a long rambling handwritten letter from a friend who emigrated to New Zealand about 20 years ago and who isn't the world's best at keeping in touch. This was a lovely surprise.

I am grateful ...
  • for cooling showers on hot days
  • to all the wonderful people who share their exercise videos on YouTube
  • that close family and friends are continuing to be healthy and virus free


Lifestyle Changes

I seem to have spent the week waiting in for deliveries but I've made good use of my time. At long last I've got my head round the issue of food supplies and have set up lists for the items I buy each month so online shopping will be easier in the future. 


The garden is looking good even though most of my ideas are still at the planning stage. My goal for the garden is that it is always tidy and presentable and, thanks entirely to Danielle's hard work, that goal is almost achieved. It may not be planted yet but, apart from a bit more weeding, the entire garden meets the goal statement.

As I mentioned in an earlier post my focus now is on these two goals: I eat sensibly and healthily and am benefiting by losing weight and experiencing increased energy levels, and I lead an active life, benefiting from increased fitness and improvements in my general health. The fitness levels are the biggest concern as mobility continues to be a problem so I am making the effort to instill a habit of exercising regularly. 

I'm already making healthy choices in terms of the different foods I eat so the focus now is on steadily losing weight through calorie counting and restricted hours eating. At the same time I'm reducing the amount of sugar I eat and have cut down on bread and potatoes.
  • Weight: 1 lb loss
  • Knee Strengthening (every day): ACHIEVED
  • Exercise (2 days x 15 mins, 1 rest day): FAILED! I got confused and continued on the previous pattern which was to exercise every other day - I managed that, but now need to follow the new pattern.

Comments

  1. That is such a beautiful picture of the rose!

    Excellent reasons to be cheerful and grateful! I also like the weekly life style changes review. I'm sure you'll adapt to the change in the exercise routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, that's my white rose! It has a bit of an identity crisis and goes through a few colour changes before it gives up and settles on white.

      I think I will find the habit forming more difficult for the exercising and weight loss which is why I'm looking at it every week for the time being.

      Delete
  2. Such a happy blog. I felt happy just reading it - you are doing so very well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and support ... much appreciated xx

      Delete
  3. It's hard to make a change in an established habit. That's not a failure as much as a learning curve ;) What are the exercises you're doing besides the daily knee strengthening? Do you count your stair work as part of the exercise schedule?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I either go out for a walk or do the walking with Leslie videos. Sometimes I do steps using a step board, and I've just added in seated Pilates and yoga exercises. It's only one form of exercise each time but I like to ring the changes. I'm completely unfit so the exercise is just to work on that, not to target any specific issues.

      I'm not specifically doing stair work as part of my exercise routine. To meet my goal of walking up and down stairs properly, every time I need to use the stairs I'm making a conscious decision to move properly, alternating legs for each step. Going up is improving slightly but coming down will need a lot of work!

      Delete
    2. I consider what you're doing to be including stairs in your exercise routine ;) That's exactly what it takes to improve your fitness level, making the effort regularly :) I like your idea of varying the type of exercise. I tend to do the same ones every time, using those youtube videos put out by various physical therapists to build up a regular routine. I'm a sucker for "do these every day to build strength" videos lol When I started, I couldn't do a single modified push-up, so I started with wall push-ups. It takes time to improve fitness.

      Delete
    3. I'm still at the stage where it takes a lot of effort to do the simplest exercise and I don't look forward to the sessions at all. I'm praying it gets easier soon!

      Delete
    4. I understand completely. It's important to do exactly what you're doing and not do more than you're able in the moment. Each moment, each step, does make a difference, and overdoing can set you back. I enjoy being on a fitness journey with other folks who discuss it like this. I find it encouraging.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for your support. It gives me confidence that I'm approaching my fitness journey properly x

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful rose. It has both pink and yellow. So pretty.

    Well done on losing weight.
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the rose that goes through numerous colour changes until it is white!

      Thanks re the weight loss. I hope you had a wonderful weekend too.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful snapshot of that rose. And a handwritten letter is always such a treat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanne. I love receiving handwritten letters ... it's my turn to write back now 🖋️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts