A New Hobby

I know I promised a garden update but there's not really anything to show. I didn't make it to the garden centre because I waited in all day for a parcel that didn't arrive, so Danielle cut the lavender back, weeded the side beds, and generally tidied up. We also discussed ideas for the front garden.

Instead I'll let you in on my new hobby. Can you guess what it is? The photo is a clue. 


No? Here's another clue.


If you guessed that I have started learning Italian you win the prize - it's a virtual box of chocolates. If you want a real box you'll have to provide it yourself because I'm not going into shops at present!

Learning a new language is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I already speak French so, as Italy is a country I'd love to visit one day, Italian seemed to be the obvious choice. 

Learning a new language offers scope for fulfillment in so many ways. A big issue for me is that I don't have enough to occupy and stretch my brain. I keep myself busy but am very aware that I'm not really stretching myself, except maybe in piano. I'd given serious consideration to doing an A level but, although that is something I may do in the future, it's not the right thing for now. Learning Italian will definitely exercise the brain cells!

It also offers the chance of expanding my social horizons as well. There are plenty of language groups in this area offering conversation over coffee or a meal, and also groups for complete beginners - all possibilities for the future but not something I'd feel comfortable about doing just yet (mainly because of the virus, but also because I don't know any useful sentences yet 😂). In addition there are free internet resources offering conversational Italian at all levels so I will register for a beginner's one to practice with another person or in a small group. I also looked into language holidays/exchanges for adults, which I wouldn't consider at present but is an option for the future. 

I've ordered a text book and have started using the Duolingo app for about 15 minutes a day. The cards in the first photos are homemade flashcards of the words in the first lesson that I'm trying to learn, and the notebook is to test myself by writing things down - I stand a chance of retaining the information if I do that!

Comments

  1. Clever you. I've never been much use with languages apart from my own although sometimes I am surprised how much I remember of my schooldays French. Not in conversation though!
    Good luck with it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about clever but I find it relatively easy to pick up the basics of a language. My claim to fame is that I got 100% in every assignment, test and exam in the five years I took French at senior school! 😊

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! You'll soon be speaking fluent Italian, I'm sure!
    Too bad about not being able to go to the garden center. But, it sounds like there was plenty for Danielle to do. Hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! At the moment I'm confusing myself with pronouncing some of the words that are also found in either French or English - same spelling, completely different pronunciation. It's definitely filling making me think and use my brain which was a big part of my reason for doing it in the first place.

      There's still quite a lot of tidying up of plants to do so she had plenty to occupy her time and some of the new plants should be here for her next visit.

      Hope you have a good day too Bless x

      Delete
  3. Oh what fun learning a new language. I do think Italian is a most emotionally charged & romantic language. Not that I have a bucket list, but if I did, visiting Italy would be on it. I would start with learning how to order food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun so far! I've learnt the Italian for water, bread, sugar and apple so far but the app is focusing on the basics - people and pronouns. Still as my friend J said if I teach myself the Italian for toilet, I know the essentials. I think she's forgetting 'coffee' though! 😂

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed with the language learning project. I tried one of the online Spanish programs but didn't stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've prioritised a list of the things I keep saying I want to do and learning Italian was high on the list. This is a serious attempt to learn the language but it could equally be a case that the novelty will wear off and I'll give up. I hope not, but if it does I'll just try something else on my list 😂

      Delete
  5. Buon divertimento, e buona fortuna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie xx

      (Are you proficient in Italian or was Google your friend?) ☺️

      Delete
    2. All my own work! (Sniff!)

      I think you'll find French more of a help in the long run, but perhaps less than you might expect. Also those musical terms must count for something!

      Delete
    3. Haha. My knowledge of French helps to a point but is confusing me a bit on the difference in pronunciation. I'm holding my knowledge of the musical terms in reserve! 😂

      Delete
  6. I started Italian conversation lessons with U3A. You inspire to try again on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at the U3A yesterday. The local U3A lists Italian but doesn't say whether it's suitable for beginners. They're still suspended at present so I will ask when they start back.

      Go on, have another go. There's loads of useful videos on YouTube. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts