Garden Update No 5


I had a long, long chat with Danielle yesterday and dates for ground work and planting have been proposed and will be confirmed today. Unless I hear differently the first stage will be planted on Sunday September 6th, the first stage being the fruit trees, nut bush and blueberries. That date gives her two sessions to remove the gravel, lift the membrane, and prepare the ground. I have to order the plants once she's confirmed for the 6th, scheduling the delivery for w/c August 31st.

The second stage will be bulbs, rose bushes, and maybe the fuchsias. I'm ordering an assortment of spring flowering bulbs for pots and ground planting, and some alliums and summer snowflakes for the centre bed. The miniature roses will be ordered but won't be despatched before the end of November, and I think the fuchsias may have to wait for a spring delivery. The bulbs will be planted up by the end of September. 

The only change to my many ideas was the obelisks for the existing climbing roses. The good news is that, yes, they can be cut right back and trained against another structure but Danielle queried whether the obelisks were the best option. Once she'd described the difference the obelisks would make to that side of the garden I could see what she meant so am now looking to see what's available as free standing trellis. I've found some that's a possibility but they're treated to get a rusted appearance, which I quite like, but the hanging basket stands will have a black finish and I'd want them to match. I could speak to the blacksmith to see if a rusted finish is an option but I'm not sure that I want that for the hanging baskets. The alternative is a different set of free standing trellis which is finished in dark green, so would sort of be okay with the black hanging basket tree, but which are a lot more expensive. I could also ask the blacksmith if a dark green finish is a possibility. Who knew there were so many decisions to make!

There are no big changes to the garden this week so I haven't bothered with photos. In the remaining time after our chat, Danielle whizzed through and did all of the weeding and made a start on watering the pots. 

Comments

  1. You are ordering those sort of upright, non spreading miniature fruit trees aren't you. I'm pondering about one too but can't remember what they are called.
    Do they need special pruning or do the just grow that way naturally?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The company I'll be using refer to them as columnar trees but I've also seen them called minarette trees. They require pruning to keep that shape but there is plenty of info online about it. Here's a summary from one site - Pruning column apple tree is fantastically simple and indisputable: all side shoots that are more than 20 cm long should be cut back in the spring to 5-15 cm. Period. At most, and especially when the growth is very vigorous, this cut can be done twice a year; once before the beginning of the growing season, at the end of February, and once in the summer around the longest day. This is specifically for apple trees and also applies to pears but cherry and plums are (I think) pruned differently.

      What are you thinking of buying? Not all of the trees are self pollinating.

      Delete
    2. This is the company I will be using. They sell all sorts of trees, not just columns but also espalier, cordons, dwarf, etc.

      https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/supercolumns.php

      Delete
  2. I hope you find a free standing trellis to your liking, Eileen. It all sounds a bit complicated with the different finishes and wanting things to coordinate, if not exactly match, but, I'm sure you will be able to find something that works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spoken to the blacksmith and he's confirmed that I can have whatever finish I want on the hanging baskets tree, so it's problem solved! I just have to choose which set of the free standing trellis I prefer.

      Delete
  3. Free-standing trellises will make an attractive support, won't they! and it's good to know you can get the finish you want for the hanging basket tree. I look forward to seeing the trellises you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know which ones I want to buy but need to check with my nephew before ordering them as he will be installing them for me. I'll do a reveal once they are in place.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts