Thursday

In the end I didn't manage to fit in a walk or a drive out yesterday. A text pinged just after 8 am to say they were delivering a parcel to me between 9 am and 1 pm so I had to wait in. It arrived just before 1pm! - it was the replacement obelisk and thankfully in good condition.

I had lunch after that and was settling down for the round of phone calls with friends when I heard the sad news that my auntie, my mum's younger sister, is reaching the end of her life. She's in her own home and her daughters are with her and will stay with her until the end. She's 98 years old and has had a good life, but it's so sad - it's the end of an era, as she is the last remaining family member who knew my mum as a child.

Today is haircut day and I need to venture out to post a birthday card but that's all I have on today's list. We're due some more rain but not until this evening so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to spend some time outside. 

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I'm glad your cousins are able to stay with her until the end. I hope she has a peaceful passing.

    Glad the replacement obelisk arrived and it is undamaged.

    Hope you have a good day and it doesn't rain until you've had a chance to run your errands. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless,my cousin thinks the end will be soon.

      The weather is trying to make its mind up - it's overcast and a few drops of rain every now and then. I only have to get to the postbox which is about three minutes away so I'll be able to do that even if it pours down. The hairdresser comes to me.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your aunt. It’s not easy at any time to lose a loved one but even more difficult at the moment. I perfectly understand your feelings of an end of an era. My dad was the last of his siblings although there are still some spouses left but the connection to their childhood is gone.
    I guess this is possibly your second haircut in the ‘new way’?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. Thankfully it's not Covid related so her daughters can be with her.

      Yes it's my second haircut - G comes to me and last time we stayed out on the patio and may do the same today if the rain holds off.

      Delete
  3. It is always sad to lose that last link with a previous generation. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I just want it to be quick and painless for her now xx

      Delete
  4. I am very sorry to hear about your Aunt. No matter the age, it is very difficult to loose a family member. Thankfully her daughters can be with her to ease & aid as she passes to the next adventure.

    Good news about the obelisk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. All of her grandchildren and great-grand children have been able to see her as well, so she is surrounded by a lot of love.

      Delete
  5. I'm sad about you aunt. It's especially hard to lose the last in a generation. How wonderful that at 98 she was still in her own home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there may be be one or two of her cousins still alive but I don't really know them. She's the last one who I knew well and who features in so many of my memories.

      Delete
  6. I'm very sorry to read about your aunt. It will be the same when Dad goes - the last of that generation. (((hugs)))
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts