Thursday 10th February

41/365: I found some snowdrops in the garden 

I've had to change my plans for today, but for a very good reason. The fence panels etc. will be delivered tomorrow and work will start on Monday, so I need to shift some things around to clear space for the fencer to work. I'll start in the garage today to make space for some of the panels to be stored over the weekend and then start moving some of the pots out of the way. I can probably manage to move the smaller ones easily enough and S, my neighbour, has said he will move the heavier ones on Saturday. He's also going to remove the hanging basket brackets from the existing fence posts for me, which will just leave four of the climbing plants for me to sort out over the weekend - last time M was here she said to just cut the wires that are supporting them and let the climbers lay back over the other plants. Once the new fence is installed my neighbour is going to fix the support wires back in place for me and M will come and work her magic. I'll be able to sort of the climbers but she wants to check the state of some of the other plants that may get a bit trampled while the work is being done. 

My piano lesson went well yesterday. With the longer lesson time it didn't feel so rushed and we had more time to focus on specific techniques. It can't change to the full hour for a few months but the extra 15 minutes should make a big difference to my progress. We also decided to abandon the tutor book and learn through playing pieces that inspire me a bit more, so this week I am making a start on the theme tune from Braveheart, A Song of Erin (an Irish piece), and Melody in C (a classical piece). These are all potential grade 1 pieces but C prefers people to have a go at playing a much larger selection before choosing the three needed for the exam, which suits me fine. We also chatted about doing some more duets and that will be included after I've taken the exam. 

So ... garden and piano today, with a break for Indian cookery at 1pm (today's recipe is Egg Dopiaza) ... should be a good day!

Comments

  1. Those snowdrops are so pretty! How exciting to have the fence panels arriving and the work on the fence beginning on Monday! I can see why you've decided to change your plans for the day! I hope they can install the fence without causing much damage to your plants! Glad you'll have some help moving the bigger pots, etc.

    Sounds like the piano lessons are coming along well! Enjoy the cookery class, too - didn't you have another dopiazo dish, earlier, too? I don't think it was eggs, though; might have been potatoes? Hope you have a good day, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a relief to have the fence finished and ticked off the list. We seem to have been talking about it for ages so the fact that in a week's time it'll be done feels great! I can't move some of the pots on my own so this is the perfect opportunity to get the pots moved to where I want them to be.

      We did bhindi dopiaza back in August. Hope you have a good day too x

      Delete
  2. I love snowdrops - they are just so pretty.

    Exciting times. I'm glad you've got plenty of help with the plants, fencing, etc. It's going to be lovely when it's finished, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty and I was delighted to see these, especially as I don't remember planting them!

      It will look good when it's finished, and as most of the pots have to be moved to allow easy access it'll be an ideal time to power wash the patio, get the grouting sorted out, and then return the pots to their new positions. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all looks, but mostly am just thankful that I soon won't have to worry about whether the fence will blow away every time it's really windy. xx

      Delete
  3. Melody in C, that takes me back to when I learned to play the piano, it has always been one of my favourite pieces.Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying learning it. Do you still play?

      Delete
  4. You'll be so pleased once the new fence panels have been erected but such a lot of preparation work needed. I'm glad you are having help with it, take care and don't overdo things. I hope the fence people take care around your plants. It certainly will be an interesting day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a relief to get it done and the timing is really good, before the majority of the plants start waking up for Spring. Don't worry, I intend to take a supervisory role! Most of the pots are too heavy for me to move so I'll ask one of my nephews to help S. The fencers should be able to do the majority of the work from my neighbour's side as they don't have any planting along the boundary line so access is easier so hopefully, damage to the plants should be minimal.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a busy day is planned. Slow & steady with the pots & remember bend with your knees (oh your poor knees ..) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a lot to fit in today. I won't be lifting any of the pots but have managed to slide a few of the smaller ones to the other side of the patio.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It's been a good day, I got loads done šŸ˜Š

      Delete
  7. I am always so pleased to see the first snowdrops....today was that day for me! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the promise of Spring, plus they are beautiful. Glad you got to see some today xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts