Saturday 19th February

50/365: one of my happy places!

Well, Storm Eunice came calling but thankfully didn't cause any damage to my home. Trowbridge hasn't fared quite as well - a section of the roof by Castle Place shopping centre was ripped off, there are trees down, and a set of traffic lights by the railway station were blown over though still showing a green light even when it was horizontal!  The worst news was of a tree falling on a car in Bradford on Avon, trapping the driver and two passengers inside. The emergency services released them from the car and they were taken to hospital by ambulance but I haven't seen any updates on how they are all doing.

I didn't meet J for lunch in the end. We both decided it was better to stay indoors and reschedule so we will be meeting next week instead. 

Out of the blue and despite being a busy man, neighbour S has offered to build the storage/workbench I want to have in my garage for all the gardening stuff. It's such a generous offer and I've accepted, so the next stage is for me to think about what I want and then he will measure up and buy the materials for me. This brings the garage project forward but it's going to save me a lot of money so I'm happy to swap things round. We're promised heavy rain all weekend so I will make a start on Monday - there's still some engineering type stuff to be photographed and sold and I think there's a couple of boxes I can bring indoors to make decisions about the contents when I have time. The priority is to make sure that the only things left in the garage are the things that I have a use for so we can work out the best way to store it all. S and J (the neighbour on the other side) have both offered to take things to the recycling yard for me so on the first dry day, which should be Monday, I will get on and empty out the pots used for the annuals and get that all disposed of before the threatened strike action begins in case the recycling yard is closed.

There's nothing in the diary for today and the promised heavy rain has encouraged me to stay at home so it's a pottering sort of day for me, catching up with a few little tasks that won't take too long and then it's reading, TV, piano and online puzzles. I know quite a few of you have discovered Wordle but have any of you played Quordle. It's very similar to Wordle except you try to solve four words in nine attempts ... it took me a while to get my head round it, but now I prefer it to Wordle.

Comments

  1. What lovely neighbours you have. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful as are a couple more who live at the other end of the Close but who regularly check to see if I need any help. I am very lucky xx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're OK with no damage to your home. I didn't leave the house all, day too much wind and rain and thankfully the flood warning was lifted mid-afternoon. You have very kind neighbours willing to help you like that. I'm a bit bored with Wordle now so will check out Quordle. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I'm glad you no longer have to worry about the risk of flooding.

      My neighbours are brilliant. S and his wife T have always been helpful but lockdown brought out the community spirit in the Close and that has continued.

      I hope you like Quordle. I find it's a bit more of a challenge than Wordle so prefer it for that reason.

      Hope you all have a good weekend too xx

      Delete
  3. Glad you are ok and no damage. It was very bad up on Dartmoor yesterday, I kept looking at our fences but am thankful to say they were ok. It is lovely to hear of your kind neighbours, that kind of neighbours are worth their weight in gold. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I love Dartmoor but it can be bleak in the winter. Did the storm do much damage in the area. I'm glad your fences survived!

      My neighbours are brilliant, just genuinely lovely people. xx

      Delete
  4. How nice of your neighbour! Glad you fared ok. Sister said they were all fine. She was lucky enough to be able to stay inside for the day and was glad of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really kind of him to offer. I'm glad your sister and family were fine. I did the same as your sister and stayed indoors ... best place to be!

      Delete
  5. I am glad you had no damage from the storm. I like your happy place and I am so glad that you, too, have some really helpful neighbors who watch out for you. :) Thank you for the link to Quordle! I mentioned it to my daughter and she solved it. I will have a try, tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless and I thought you'd like my happy place. The neighbours are a real blessing and I know I am very fortunate that they are so caring.

      Well done to you daughter for solving Quordle. There is also Octordle where you solve 8 words in 13 attempts.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you're safe. It sounds quite scary in Trowbridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa. I think Trowbridge got off quite lightly compared to some places ... only 30 miles away one of the churches lost the top of it's spire!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts