Saturday 12th February


43/365: moving day for the pots

Yesterday I moved the rest of the pots except for the five largest terracotta ones which neighbour S moved for me when he came home from work. He also removed the hanging basket brackets. One of the terracotta pots has been badly damaged by the frosts so I will empty it today and break it up for crocks. Luckily it's filled with the remains of one of the annuals (that only finished flowering at the end of November) so I don't have to worry about repotting a plant in a new pot. I ran out of energy to sweep the patio so will do that today and then tomorrow will only have to deal with the four climbers. None of them are huge so it will be easy enough to remove the support wires and lay them back over other plants. 

All the wood was delivered yesterday and is now tucked up in my garage. Work will definitely start on Monday and he estimates that it will take him three days. With the pots all moved to one side of the patio it's also an ideal time to make a start on the power washing and sorting out the re-grouting. I asked the fencer, who I keep referring to as a fencer but who is actually a landscape gardener, if he can do the work for me, which he can and he's given me a price for the job. He'll let me know when he can do the work when he's here on Monday. 

There's nothing on my list for today. My knee is not happy at all after moving all those pots so I plan to take it easy and rest it as much as possible. I'll do some piano practice and then, apart from moving to keep myself fed and watered and of course for the necessary toilet breaks, I plan to binge watch Showtrial and make a start on Vienna Blood - both on iPlayer and both recommended by Lady Ella. That should keep me out of mischief! Hope you all have a good day whatever you have planned.

Comments

  1. That's a lot of work you did, moving all those pots! Glad the wood was delivered and work will start on Monday. Hope you have a restful day, tomorrow, and your knee will feel better. Take it easy and enjoy watching your shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only glad that I won't be the one moving all the pots back! It's exciting that in less than a week the new fence will be in place.

      I've set aside this morning for piano practice and meal prep, then will settle down to watch the first series after lunch. 😊

      Delete
  2. You've certainly worked hard in your garden the last couple of days. It's good that the fencer/landscape gardener can do the work for you and hope that he can do it in good time so you can have your garden all laid out again, it's going to look so nice. Have a restful weekend and enjoy your shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those things where I didn't really realise how hard I was working ... it didn't seem too hard to just move one pot, but it soon adds up and after moving 31 pots my unfit body is protesting today. I'm pleased that the landscaper can do the extra work for me. I know he's busy but he thinks it will only take a couple of days to sort out the patio so he may be able to fit in in reasonably quickly, fingers crossed. Once I've saved some more money, it's the arches and water butts to sort out!

      Thanks, and hope you have a good weekend too x

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoy Showtrial and that it heals the knee! I'm in no position to recommend Vienna Blood - haven't seen it and know nothing about it. How nice to be off the starting blocks with the garden. Hope the chap can fit you in quickly for the pressure washing and repointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I confused myself with your recommendations.

      It's good to get started on this next stage in the garden. He thinks the fencing will be finished by Wednesday, assuming his current job doesn't run over and he can start first thing on Monday morning. The extra work on the patio should be about two days work so it's the sort of job he may be able to fit in sooner rather than later. I'm obviously hoping it's sooner! 😀

      Delete
  4. You have done wonders, I think that you deserve to put your feet up. The garden will look amazing as it gets done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to do a garden update post next week so you can see what I'm planning to do ... beautiful and amazing is the desired end result!

      Delete
  5. It's going to look so good when it's all done.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new fence and cleaning the patio are the two jobs that will make the biggest impact in the short term. Those two things plus the addition of the arches in the longer term will make a huge difference to the how the garden looks. I can't wait! xx

      Delete
  6. How nice to have your neighbour help. Take it easy with the knee. I hope you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbour's help was invaluable ... there was no way I could have moved the biggest pots on my own. I feel much better now, thanks.

      Delete
  7. It is nice that you are making steady progress there. Do be sure moderate the heavy chores; we don't recover quite as fast as we used too, do we.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanne. I need to learn that I'm no longer able to do as much as I used to without suffering any aches and pains. As my mum used to say, old age doesn't come alone!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts