Monday 14th February

45/365: the mystery flower, still only two inches high

It's  been a lovely weekend, although it poured down all day yesterday. I did very little, just relaxed and enjoyed myself. I played the piano, completed my daily Italian lessons, a little bit of reading, and I started watching Showtrial and am liking it so far. I didn't watch as much as I'd planned because I forgot about Dancing on Ice and The Great Pottery Throw Down, so of course I had to take a break to watch them.

The big change to my quiet weekend at home was a visit to my nephew's home to play with the Little Man (previously referred to as Baby R). Things just worked out beautifully, we all tested as negative and none of us had to rush off to be somewhere else so I was able to spent a wonderful couple of hours playing with my youngest great nephew. He really is a delight! Covid restrictions have meant that I've hardly seen him since he was born but his parents made him a photo book containing photos of all the family so he recognises me and knows my name. There's a photo of Ced behind me in my photograph so Little Man knows Ced's name as well, which is really touching. They also gave me a photobook filled with recent images of Little Man showing all of the things he likes doing now he's 17 months old, which I'll treasure.

The rain didn't ease up at all yesterday so I still have to deal with the climbers before the fencer get here, but it won't take long. That's the only 'must do' today and there's nothing in the diary so I think it'll be another quiet-ish day. There's a couple of bits of admin to deal with and I should have a look at my photo files as I can't remember backing up my last lot of photos. I suppose I should look to see what I can do next to clear some more of the decluttered items as that's taken a bit of a back seat lately and I need to press on with it.

Comments

  1. It is a very unusual looking flower, with its green spots! I almost want to say summer snowflakes, but, they have bell shaped flowers, don't they? Maybe you've grown a new species of flowers!

    Sounds like you have a lovely weekend and visit with Little Man and family went very well. He sounds adorable!

    Hope you are able to get the climbers down in good time for the fencer to start his work. Have a lovely day, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of summer snowflakes but they are bell shaped, not open like this one. Maybe it is but just has an identity crisis!

      Little Man is absolutely gorgeous. It'll take a while for him to get to know me but he was happy to play with me and he kept giving me his toys!

      I did get the climbers down in time. The fencer is here now and has started work so it's going according to plan.

      Hope you have a lovely day too Bless xx

      Delete
  2. Hopefully, your lovely garden lady will know. It's a very lovely flower.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, but she's away at the moment so I will have to wait to ask her. xx

      Delete
  3. It’s a rather stunted Leucojum struggling to reach the surface. It probably got buried too deep at some point. Lovely flowers that bloom with the snowdrops in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Leucojum in my garden but this one doesn't have the same leaves. The leaves on this one are much thicker and waxy. Whatever it is, it's very pretty and I hope it comes back next year. xx

      Delete
  4. I was wondering about your mystery flower. What a surprise treat it is. How lovely to finally get some quality in person time with your G-nephew & oh what a lovely gift they gave you & him through photos. Hopefully your fencing person starts on time & it isn't too disruptive, noise wise, to your day. All that rain will make the cleaning of the patio easier (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty little thing.

      It was wonderful to spend some quality time with the Little Man yesterday and the gift of the photobook was completely unexpected, but very much appreciated.

      The fencer is here and has started work 👍
      The patio is really dirty and it looks dark grey instead of the pale buff colour it should be .... it'll need more than one rain storm to make any significant difference.

      Delete
  5. I've been breathless by the amount you have done recently. I think you are owed a quiet day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can finish disposing of the decluttering now, I'll have plenty of leisurely days to enjoy myself when the weather is better. That's the plan anyway, although I didn't get much done today! xx

      Delete
  6. Love the flower. How lovely that you were able to visit Little Man and his parents have kept the memory of Ced alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved spending time with the Little Man, he is gorgeous! I admit to a few years when I got home, just knowing that they still include Ced as someone that Little Man needs to know about.

      Delete
  7. That is a beautiful little flower. Spending time with the little boy sounds delightful and the photo books sound wonderful. You have a lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Man has his own photobook filled with images of all his extended family ... being born during lockdown, he didn't really get to meet anyone until he was 7 or 8 months old but he sort of knows who we are from his photobook. The book they gave to me means that I don't miss out on seeing all the things he likes at this age... such a thoughtful gift. They are lovely people xx

      Delete
  8. There is something very cheery about that little bloom. The rain was probably just what it needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just as well I photographed it as there's no sign of it today. It's either been trampled on or the wind was too much for it. Hopefully it'll show itself again next year

      Delete
  9. Oh, I was going to say the same as Jane, except I didn't know the posh name. I saw loads of these at Welford Park some years ago and thought the green spots a giveaway. When they get buried too deep they can't hang so the bell is lost but I have some pics taken upwards that look just like the centre of your flower. What a mystery...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leucojum were planted in a different flower bed and I can see the tips of the leaves, so all the plants are accounted for. This little one didn't survive the first lot of winds and is no more but the only thinks planted in that bed were some pink tulips and some crocosmia but they were all lifted last year. I wonder if it will show itself again next year.

      Delete
  10. Looking at the leaves - is it some kind of orchid? I know that sounds daft . . .
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. I should have tried one of those plant recognition apps but didn't think of it at the time. There's no sign of it now so if it appears again next year, that's what I'll do. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts