A Garden Update

48/365: the final fence panels in place

The fencing was finished off yesterday. I love the way it has changed how the garden looks and feels, a bit like a courtyard garden, and it's spurred me on to plan the rest of the changes I'd like to see this year.

R, the fencer/landscape gardener, will return some time in March to sort out the patio - pointing, pressure wash, and protector - all of which should make a huge change to the look of the garden. Before he returns I want to sort out the pots; some of the annuals flowered long after M's last visit so, to reduce the number of pots that have to be shifted around when he's working on the patio, I want to empty out all the dead annuals and store those empty pots in the garage out of the way until they are needed later in the year. Neighbour S has offered to help me move them and he's also going to replace the fixings to support the climbers.

The two other big expenses this year will be the purchase of the arches and replacing the solitary leaking water butt with two, maybe three, larger ones. I still like the arches I have chosen so my nephew is going to measure up for me so I can budget for the cost but it's something for later in the year. I'm sorting out the water butts first. The arches will need a climber or two but that may have to wait until next year as it also means buying some suitable pots. I do know that I want a potato vine and a clematis as the climbers for the arches.

Last year the focus was on the flower beds but this year I want to review the perennials currently growing in pots. Looking back at old photos has made me question whether I want quite as many pots around, especially as the arches will reduce the amount of free space on that side of the patio when they are installed. Some of the perennials are doing well but there are some that aren't and a couple that no longer fit in with my plans so there may be some swapping or gifting with family later in the year. The spring bulbs are mostly in pots and they can be moved out of the way once they have flowered, and the pots for the summer annuals brought out to replace them. I haven't finally decided on the annuals yet but it's likely to be cosmos, marguerites, sweet peas, and maybe some more dwarf sunflowers. I'd also like an annual that has bigger flowers if you have any suggestions please. 

Comments

  1. It's lovely to read your plans for the garden, you sound really excited. No wonder because I'm sure it will look impressive when all the flowers blossom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am excited about realising my plans for the garden this year. It'll need all the new climbers to establish and do their stuff so this year will be sort of an interim, but definitely moving in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Your new fence looks really good and has made such a difference to the look of your garden. It'll look terrific once it's all sorted and it'll be lovely to see it finished and a riot of colour in the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise that a fence would make so much difference but it really has changed the feel of the garden. There will be photos of the progress 😊

      Delete
  3. Your neighbour sounds lovely and the garden will be absolutely gorgeous!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky enough to have lovely neighbours on both sides but S is particularly helpful. I'm excited about my plans for this year. xx

      Delete
  4. The fence has made a difference in looks for sure. I like those half arches & would really like to source this side of the pond. That's some of the fun of gardening, planning, changing, enjoying, changing again & enjoying even more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of the arches as a way of adding height on that side of the patio without taking up too much of the patio itself, and also hiding part of the garage. I hope you are able to find something similar where you live.

      I'm still discovering what I like in terms of plants for my garden so there will be quite a few changes 😉

      Delete
  5. Sounds very satisfying and is going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella, I'm looking forward to the pleasure of seeing my imagining become a reality.

      Delete
  6. The fence makes it look secluded and cosy. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get the garden growing. It will be magnficent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good look round today and there's new growth and shoots everywhere I looked. It's all looking very promising.

      Delete
  7. Your new fence looks great and I like how the garden looks with it in place. Love reading about your plans for the garden and looking forward to seeing how it all evolves over time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. There's a lot to do but I have offers of help so watch this space ... there will be plenty of photos!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have quite a few plans. It does look wonderful and seems like a very private, cosy space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very private garden and was one of the things that attracted me to this house.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts