Saturday 26th February

57/365: another gift of books from my sister

After a slow start, yesterday turned out to be a productive day and I ticked off everything on my 'must do' list, as well as doing two loads of washing and making a start on emptying some of the garden pots. I had to wait in the GP phone queue for 75 minutes but it was worth the wait as I now have an appointment for blood tests and BP check ready for my medication review ... I still don't have the appointment to actually see my doctor but they have issued a repeat prescription for one month's supply of all the tablets which means that I don't have to worry about running out. 

I think it's supposed to be another sunny day today so I would like to go out for a walk, maybe over to the marina, but I'm expecting a parcel delivery so will have to wait in for that. I'll probably carry on clearing some of the pots ... at the moment I'm just concentrating on emptying all the ones that can be emptied and will think about moving all the empty pots later. 

I applied for a senior railcard yesterday (coincidentally my sister was doing the same thing when I phone her!) so will be deciding on my first rail adventure. I don't plan to go far yet, it's too cold for one thing, but I am thinking about doing some day trips. Possibilities include a trip to the beach (when it's warmer!), a Van Gogh exhibition in Bristol, Exeter Cathedral, and a visit to Cardiff. I could easily drive to and from Bristol but the parking makes it an expensive day out, and all the others are places I want to visit but which are a bit farther than I want to drive to and from in a day, so tonight is set aside to plan some day trips or maybe overnight stays. 

Comments

  1. I've just been notified that my railcard is expiring soon - Frustratingly, I hardly used it, what with lockdown, etc. I might have a ponder about whether to renew it or now. Perhaps I will. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to buy a 3 year Railcard. I still want to go places but am increasingly put off by the driving distances, so rail travel gives me options. Before too long I want to return to the theatres so regular day trips to London are on the cards. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to get your medical appointments and the renewal for your medications taken care of! That was a long wait on the phone, though! How nice to receive another pile of books from your sister! I like your plan to travel places by rail! Hope you have a lovely day, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to have it sorted out, or at least to have started the process of getting it sorted out!

      It's lovely to get all the books my sister passes on to me but I'm not keeping up with her rate of reading so will probably pass some of these on unread.

      I think it's unlikely I'll be doing much travelling to start with, but I do want to see a couple of exhibitions and shows so the cheaper train travel will help make it a possibility ... The Railcard reduces the cost of the ticket by a third. First I need to get used to going out and about again!

      Hope you and your daughter have a lovely day too x

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful sister you have!!! Mine doesn't like reading as much as I do. She stopped buying books for my birthday because she says I'll read them too quickly and she prefers spending her money on long-lasting gifts 😂
    Enjoy the Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is wonderful and fortunately we have the same taste in books. Your sister's decision re books for presents make me laugh ... definitely not an avid reader but it's a shame for you. My sister gives me anything between 70 and 100 books every year 😊

      Delete
  4. That was another long wait on the phone for you but at least it was worth it this time. I hope you make full use of your railcard it's far better than driving in my opinion. I'd so love to go to a Van Gogh Exhibition, I'm a little bit envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just relieved to get an appointment!

      I have a bus pass as well so plan to make full use of them this year. The Van Gogh is a touring exhibition so it may come close enough to you for you to be able to see it. Search for Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience.

      Delete
  5. I think the railcard is a great idea! When we went from Leeds to Cardiff, we got a family railcard and it really made a difference just for that one journey. We worked it out that it was probably cheaper to get the train than pay petrol and then parking. And I will now take the bus if I'm going to Leeds Centre as not only is the town centre terrifying to work out, but even the cheapest parking is so expensive. I hope you have wonderful adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thinking as well ... it works out cheaper when you add up the cost of the petrol and especially the parking. Added to that I won't get as tired from all the driving and can travel for longer distances. Thanks Lyssa, I'm making a list of possible adventures ☺️

      Delete
  6. Nice gift from your sister! I always love getting new-to-me books. Mum and I really enjoyed our trip to Cardiff. The castle is just beautiful. We also loved walking around and seeing the animal wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't keep up with her so I will have to sort through the books and let some go without reading them.

      I've been to Cardiff many times, mostly for shopping or for the theatre, but have never done the sights. The castle and the animal wall are both on my list!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts