Wednesday 9th February

40/365: meet Larry the Lamb, the doorstop in my playroom
It's back to normal with lots to fit in today. I'll do some extra piano practice as soon as I've had my breakfast (dippy egg with wholemeal toast soldiers) as I don't feel as well prepared for today's lesson as I usually do.

That should give me about an hour to carry on with some online shopping for things I need on my goals list. I've decided on the photo frames I want for the hall so just need to recheck the sizes and then place the order. I'm still undecided on the ones for the dining room so will hunt out the photos I want to display in them and then see if that helps me make up my mind .... at the moment I seem to be dithering for England, gold medal standard!

At 10am it's the online nutrition club, which I think is continuing with healthy eating for weight loss as we ran out of time on Friday and there was a long list of questions still to be answered. If that's the case, I doubt I'll bother and will carry on with either some decluttering or the ordering for my goals list instead.

That's followed by my weekly piano lesson, extended to 45 minutes today. I've enjoyed working on a simple duet, playing with a recording of the other part, so will ask C if this is something we can continue doing in future lessons. The duet playing was one of the reasons I chose to have lessons with her in the first place but of course that's not quite so easy with online lessons and although she is considering restarting her in-person lessons, I intend to continue with online tuition for the time being. There'd have to be some switching round of lesson times before it was possible anyway as there is only a 15 minute gap between the end of the nutrition class and the start of my lesson, but it would take me at least 30 minutes to drive to her home. 

After lunch (homemade veggie soup) I'm escaping the house and going out for a drive. The car will benefit from a longish run and I want a change of scene. There's rain forecast for the middle of the day so it probably will just be a drive around but, if it has cleared up I'll go for a wander around Bradford on Avon. 

I need to be back home by 4pm as H is calling in for a chat - her year long photo project based on AYWMC book 1 isn't working for me and I get the impression that she's not too happy with the way it's working out either. There are four of us in the group and one of the others is struggling to understand any of the technical details - we haven't moved past chapter 1 yet - and she won't accept any help or attempt to clarify what isn't clear for her. I've done the course before so was treating it as a revision exercise but the lack of any progress at all is frustrating, so I'll see what H suggests. I don't know how long H plans to stay but if she's staying over with her Mum in Westbury instead of driving back to Gloucester, it will probably turn into an evening long session. I'm planning to use up a UFO* for tonight's meal but if H stays to eat I'll send out for a takeaway instead.

* UFO = unidentified freezer object!

Comments

  1. I can understand the struggling but not the not accepting help.

    And I LOVE Larry the Lamb!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so can I, but all she will say is that she "doesn't get it". That's her response whatever any of us ask her, it's very frustrating! xx

      Delete
  2. I love your Larry the Lamb doorstop, makes me think Spring has arrived :) What a shame the photo project isn't working for you, I do remember you were disappointed on receiving the book. In a way I hope you have company and a takeaway meal this evening but smiled at your planned UFO, good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H should be here in about 30 minutes so I'll soon know. I'm hoping she stays and then we can have an Indian meal delivered 😊

      The photo project is frustrating but I have a couple of suggestions to talk through with H and hopefully we can sort something out.

      Delete
  3. Cute lamb doorstop. Is fellow AYWMC refusal of assistance because of age or sheer stubbornness; I can do this thank you very much. I hope that frustrations can be sorted so that you can all get through chapter one together. A drive out seems like a perfect antidote to house-boundardness ... is there such a word? I've just made it official to be part of the pandemic dictionary (lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know her well enough to say whether it is an age thing or whether it's just stubbornness. She's H's friend so I'm hoping that H understands what the problem is and we can work out a way forward.

      I don't think it is a word ... google didn't recognise it at all but maybe they haven't updated for all the pandemic words yet! 😂

      Delete
  4. I love the lamb! You sound like you have quite a busy day. Sometimes people say that they don't get something because it just doesn't click (me, quite often). Sometimes it's just overwhelming (me, quite often). Sometimes it's being awkward (I work to avoid this). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been busy but I'd rather that than be bored.

      From my chat with H tonight we think she does actually understand the information in the chapter but is confused because she doesn't understand the solution to the issue raised in the chapter ... that's something that you learn as you progress through the book, so we will persuade her to move on and if necessary I will do a one-to-one session with her if she continues to be confused.

      Delete
  5. We just finished off a lovely big batch of vegetable soup last night, so tomorrow I need to get a batch of ham and bean soup into the crock pot. Just need to get the ham thawing from the freezer, where we have been known to find a UFO or two as well. Although recently in anticipation of possibly losing power during an ice storm, I took the time for tidy up the freezer and fill it to capacity with water bottles, as a full freezer is supposed to fare better without power than a half full one. Luckily it was an unnecessary precaution.

    PS What is it that Larry is trying not to tell us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making pea and ham soup next. I'll be cooking the ham today and will make a batch of soup tomorrow, perfect for this time of year. I'm glad you didn't lose power during the storm.

      Larry is trying not to tell all of the secrets he hears in that room!

      Delete
  6. Larry the Lamb is so cute! Glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope your piano lesson went well and H stayed to dinner. Hope you are having a good evening, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. The piano lesson was very good and I thought I'd played well, although there was no mention of stickers! H stayed for about an hour as she had to get home to Gloucester, about 90 minutes drive away. We did manage to sort out the photo group issue though ... well, at least we have a plan for trying to sort out the issue!

      Delete
  7. Love the doorstep! Sorry the book isn't working out. It took me a while to get some of the lessons - I had to go back several times but once things click photos definitely improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already done the course, pre the release of the book, and understand all the technical info. This is my first time with the book but I think it is very well explained. The person who is having difficulties understanding it is completely new to photography and even though the book advises to move on even if you don't fully understand, she is refusing to do so and that's what's causing problems in the group. I think we have a plan for moving on though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts