Monday 31st October

304/365: rosebuds

It's good to be home! The return journey was delayed by an hour and then further delayed by three detours due to roadworks on the M4 and road closures in Wiltshire. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to get a taxi at the taxi ranks opposite where the coach drops off in town so it was a blessing that I didn't have to wait and it was a relief to put my key in the lock and step back into my own home. There's nothing quite like the pleasure of returning home to the comfort of the familiar after spending time away.

I have personal training first thing ... no idea how that'll go as I'm feeling stiff and overtired from the last few days, but I'm sure it'll do me good! Then it's back home to sort out my suitcase and just generally get back in the swing of things. I know I need to do some washing so will get as much of that done and out of the way as possible today, and I'm completely out of fresh produce so will need to shop or arrange a delivery as soon as possible as well. The cleaning can wait ... there's a limit to how much enthusiasm I have for that at the best of times and the pointer is set firmly at zero for today, so maybe later in the week.  

There's also a few easy tasks I keep putting off which I'd like to get done and out of the way this week. My routine has changed completely from last winter so, before it's time to switch the heating on I want to reprogramme the times the thermostat calls for heat. I also want to look at how often the hot water is heated and reduce the temperature that is currently set as there is no point paying a fortune to heat the water and then have to add cold water to reduce it to a bearable temperature! I also need to book the window cleaners and arrange to have the gutters cleared out, and of course have to get the rest of the quotes for the garage door replacement. I returned home to a stack of post on the door mat which I dealt with yesterday. There's one final letter which I couldn't face yesterday, from DEFRA about avian flu, so will see what that's about later on ... hopefully it's for information only and not requiring any action from me. 

Comments

  1. It's always good to be back home again, isn't it? Especially with all the delays encountered on the return journey! You must have been tired! Sounds like you have a busy week ahead, getting things done! I agree with you - the cleaning can wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The journey home was horrendous and I've never been so glad to see my home. I was shattered. It is a fairly full week but all based at home so I can pace myself properly. I'm glad I have your approval about the cleaning 😂

      Delete
  2. I always love arriving home too. It's our safe space, our haven of peace.
    If you tell your personal trainer, she will probably put in some gentle stretching and 'easing' movements into the program that should help out.

    I'm hoping to pop to Matalan this morning and I'll take a look and see if they do those bowls. I'll let you know. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. We have a Matalan in town so I'll see if they have them in stock. I cancelled the personal training in the end. When I made the decision about 8am I was feeling really ill and took myself back to bed. I've done a covid test which thankfully is negative so it's either a cold, or maybe a reaction to the stress of the hospital visit. xx

      Delete
  3. What an adventure you have had. I know you appreciate the safety & comforts of your nest. Oh dear not more Avian flu ... eggs & all poultry meats on this side of the pond were/are felt because of an earlier in the year outbreak. Turkey prices for the traditional Thanksgiving meal were wild! Hopefully the fitness workout gives you that added jolt of energy to see to your task of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed my time away but I'm always glad to get home. I've booked my next trip already though ... next March!

      I haven't read the DEFRA letter yet but I know there have been cases of avian flu in the area. I'll have to be careful where I get my eggs from for the time being. I dread to think how much the prices will go up now.

      I cancelled personal training and have spent most of the day in bed, so I'm behind before I started. I'm trying to catch up with comments and reading other blogs now.

      Delete
  4. It's always good to be home. Those rosebuds look exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to sleep in my own bed again!

      This particular rose is beautiful ... a rich creamy colour, fading to white when fully open.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts