Saturday 15th October

288/365: dahlias

Yesterday's plan fell to bits with a last minute message from M to say she's got Covid, apologising for the late notice and promising to reschedule when she is better. It's now likely to be after I return from London, so at the start of November. 

Receiving this message coincided with a phone call from H to ask if I was free so we took advantage of the change in plans and she came round to mine for most of the day. She's done something to her spine so actually spend most the time flat on her back on the floor as that's the only way she can get comfortable at the moment. It meant I missed the U3A History Group talk on Stonehenge which was a shame, but we did have a good chat together.

Once she'd left I did a load of washing. I'm trying to avoid using the tumble dryer so put everything to dry on the clothes airer this time, but I'm not sure that I fancy a winter of having damp clothes hanging around while they dry so it's time to think of other options. I'm looking at the pros and cons of heated clothes airers - does anyone use one and if so, how long does it take to dry a load of clothes please ... or is that a 'how long is a bit of string' type question? 

I think today will be an odds and ends sort of day. There's another load of washing to do, a letter to finish writing and get in the post to my penfriend, and a bit of tidying in the kitchen. I'm also hoping to have a chat with S about the pergola if he's around this weekend ... I try to wait until I see him in his garage or hear him in his garden rather than bothering him if he's indoors. 

Comments

  1. Your dahlias are very pretty. A day spent with a friend sounds good even if she was flat on he floor, poor lady suffering with back problems to that extent. I've never thought about buying a heated clothes airer, would that be cheaper than using the tumble dryer as it would take much longer to dry the washing I expect, oh I'm not sure. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three of the dahlias, same variety, and they will probably end up in the wooden planters. They're a dwarf variety so are a bit lost where they are currently planted.

      H thinks she has pulled a muscle in her back from lifting her Mum. She's trying to get a GP appointment to get some effective pain killers.

      All the bumph online says that heated airers work out cheaper than using a tumble dryer but I suppose it all depends on wattage of the airer. I'm still dithering about it to be honest because the heated airers aren't that cheap so maybe I'd be better of using a combination of the tumble dryer and the ordinary clothes horse. Hope you have a good weekend too xx

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that M has Covid! Hope she feels better, soon! Glad you were able to spend the day visiting with your friend H, even if she had to be flat on her back while visiting! Hope her back gets better, soon!
    It's too bad that you had to miss the talk about Stonehenge; do you suppose it was recorded and if so, might you be able to hear/watch it at a later date?
    I hope you find a good solution to drying the clothes indoors during the winter. Our climate is usually dry enough, even in winter, that things dry fairly quickly, especially if I hang them overnight with the heater on.
    I hope you have an opportunity to chat with S about the pergola. Have a lovely day, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M said she's not suffering too much from the Covid, so breathing etc. is fine but she is completely exhausted this time. I think she had it about the same time last year.

      H said my floor was very comfy! I hope she recovers quickly too.

      The talk won't have been recorded by the U3A but I'm sure the same info is available at the Stonehenge site or at the local history office.

      I think S&T are away for the weekend, or at least are out today as I haven't heard a peep from them. I'm sure I'll catch up with them soon though.

      I'm still puzzling out what to do about drying the clothes. Today's load is drying on an ordinary (unheated) airer and I'm timing how long it takes to dry. I don't have the heating on yet so that will also affect the drying time in the future. I'll see how it goes!

      Delete
  3. We always put our airer in our spare bedroom, it's a sunny room so it dries quickly, with the door closed it does not effect the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. Once the heating is on the spare bedroom may be a good option for me as the airing cupboard and the party wall tend to keep that room nice and warm. The airing cupboard unfortunately is tiny and is not an option for a space to dry all the clothes although I use it sometime for undies and socks.

      Delete
  4. I have an heated aired as I have no access to outside drying space and no tumble dryer or spare room. I find it very efficient, drying clothes overnight so that it can be put away during the day if needs be. I always use a cover as it traps the warm air in close proximity to the washing. If you don't want to buy a cover a duvet cover serves the same purpose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks caslass. I suppose using a cover makes a big difference to the drying time and I hadn't thought of doing that.

      Delete
  5. I found a heated clothes airer good, but I also have an electric dehumidifier in the room due to it being a cellar and trying to get air circulating. The dehumidifier isn't free, but it's cheaper than a tumble dryer and it takes the moisture out of the air as well which a heated airer doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa. Did you find the actual heated airer cheap to run? I wonder how much the cost to run the airer and a dehumidifier compares to the cost of the tumble dryer. xx

      Delete
    2. I think a lot depends on the different models. It's a case of sitting down with pen, pencil and a cup of tea and working out wattage. To be honest, I have had good success with just a dehumidifer, with a little tumble for things like towels. But I live in a warm house, and that helps.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Lyssa. I need to do some research and work out which, if any, will be best for me. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts