Monday 3rd October

276/365: the Japanese blood grass on a sunny Sunday morning

I can't believe we're in October already. There's a lot going on this month with family and friends' birthdays, trying out some of the groups with the U3A, my birthday treat to London, and loads of meals/meet ups arranged with friends throughout the month. It should be fun!

Today starts with personal training. I'm still really enjoying the sessions and am definitely aware of how much things have changed for the better in a relatively short time. I have osteoarthritis so am never going to be completely pain free but my strength and flexibility has noticeably improved and my dodgy knee is clearly much more stable than it has been in years. When I've been sitting for a while I still struggle with the first few steps but once I get into my stride I can now usually manage to walk without limping. There is obviously still a long way to go, but I'm feeling optimistic!

Alongside the personal training I'm had another look at what I'm eating. The advice Claudia (the nutritionist in the online classes) gave to another participant rang bells with me - she was answering a question about dealing with aches and pains when getting out of bed or moving after being stationary for a while and suggested that it could be related to a wheat allergy. I know I tested myself for intolerance to wheat about a year ago when I took part in the healthy eating weight loss trial but I've decided to test again partly because it seems that while, for example, you may be able to eat your usual bread you can still be intolerant to wheat in pasta, or maybe it's pastry you can't tolerate but could be okay with pizza. It's a very individual thing and I think it's worth another try and also a good opportunity to make the changes to alternative products ... I'm thinking of the new pea protein pastas so if anyone has used them I'll be interested to hear your opinion please.

After the personal training I have a few bits and bobs to pick up in town and then it's back home to start on the chores list for this week. There isn't much to do, just the usual housework so I should be able to get the upstairs done today and the downstairs tomorrow. I also want to make a list of what I need for the next lot of batch cooking so I can shop for it on Wednesday and get it all cooked and in the freezer by the weekend. 

H will be here tonight. I'm cooking dinner and she's bringing dessert, and then we'll watch a film together. 

Comments

  1. I find I stiffen when sitting down and the first few steps can be a bit of a trial.

    I've not tried the pea protein pastas - aren't they very expensive? If you do, I'll be very interested in your opinion.

    Have a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are more expensive but am considering them as an option if it turns out that wheat in that form is an issue for me. Most of the supermarkets have pea protein pastas that are cheaper, though still expensive, than the ZENB brand and they are the ones I have down for consideration. Hopefully it won't come to that though. xx

      Delete
  2. I have that same problem too find it hard to get up from sitting and get going for a few steps and then I can walk fine and look forward to my daily dog walk. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one then! I still have problems coping with steps, even kerbs, so still have a way to go but it is getting easier and better. Hope you have a good day too. xx

      Delete
  3. The Japanese blood grass is looking very colorful!
    Sounds like you will have lots of things to look forward to in October! Interesting to read about the wheat allergies, that you might be able to eat a certain item with wheat in it, but, not others! Good to know! Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with the Japanese blood grass and will get some more next year to spread through the other pots.

      I was interested to hear about the wheat allergies as well. Claudia stressed that it is a very individual thing and in one case the person couldn't eat dried pasta but could eat fresh pasta ... odd, isn't it?

      Hope you have a good day too Bless xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, how wonderful that you are reaping the benefits of personal training so quickly. Keep it up!!

    I have been hearing a lot lately about carbohydrates and how they cause inflammation. I am using October to do a bit of adjustment in this area as well. And exactly how did it get to be October already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll definitely keep it up, don't worry. Amy added in a new exercise today to start building the strength in my knees and make bending at the knees to kneel down a possibility for the future.

      Good luck with your tweaking of carbs in your diet and hope it works out for you. Nutrition is a fascinating subject!

      This year is whizzing by. We'll just blink and it'll be November!

      Delete
  5. Glad to read that the personal training is working for you. Food should be our medicine & fuel. I know we indulge in far too many carbohydrates & while no allergies, I still it is a good idea to be more conscious of the amount we eat. The London jaunt sounds like a perfect birthday treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. I'm fairly sure I'm eating something that my body isn't happy about, not enough to make me ill, but causing aches and pains I could do without .... testing for wheat seems as good a place as any to start.

      The real birthday treat is still a secret but it is in London!

      Delete
  6. As someone with a gluten intolerance, wheat and gluten can be in some very strange places indeed. Barley sneaks into all sorts of nooks and crannies, including malt vinegar and some colas. Rice Krispies are not gluten free. Even oats are regularly contaminated. I hope that it works out for you soon.

    (wheat has changed so much over the last fifty years or so, with emphasis on things like extra gluten, that it's sparked issues for a lot of people that would not have been affected back in the old days, and once the issues are out, you can't get rid of them. I hope that you are not affected)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa. I've started looking at all the foods and ingredients I use regularly and it's a bit of a minefield. It's more difficult than I'd thought to exclude wheat completely which makes me think I may have made mistakes last time. A friend suggested trying bread made with spelt flour when I get to the stage where I'm adding wheat back in to my diet as that's one of the older varieties of wheat. I haven't started excluding anything yet ... still at the planning stage. xx

      Delete
  7. I didn't know there were pea pastas but in case of interest I have tried Tesco's own red lentil fusilli. It's a lot more expensive than usual pasta but I think affordable for anyone unable to eat the other kind, and presumably not eating it every day. I liked it and had no complaints at all; when cooking it smells like lentils but once in the bowl with sauce it tastes and smells just like normal (perhaps wholewheat) pasta.

    I am eating loads more carbs now, after pretty much eliminating them for a few years. It would be good if I could reverse that a bit so would be interested to hear how you get on with the pea pastas and any other swaps/removals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's useful to know and is something I will try anyway. I think I'm eating too many carbs as well and think I probably need to have a good look at my entire diet ... too much comfort eating going on!

      I'll let you know about the pea pastas when I get round to trying them.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you have a busy but exciting month ahead.
    I haven't tried pea protein pastas. Once I tried quinoa+lentil pasta, but I didn't like the texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always plenty to look forward to in October! I like quinoa but haven't tried it added to lentil as a pasta. I don't recall seeing it so maybe it's not on sale over here. I'd probably give it a try if I saw it.

      Delete
  9. Interesting. I find myself stiffening up when I've sat down for a while, but I'm sure (for me) that's more a matter of getting older than anything else.

    Glad you are finding the personal training beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With me the stiffening is age related osteoarthritis but the problems moving are mostly to do with the dodgy knee, which the personal training exercises is starting to improve.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts