A Garden Update

In the garden ...


The weather was kind yesterday and played nicely so M was able to do everything I'd planned. The photo immediately above shows where most of the changes are. Quite a few of the plants that were in the centre bed have now been moved; the honey garlic has been removed and M has taken them with her, and the three scabious plants are now in the corners of the far bed, two on the left although the photo only shows one, and one on the right hand side. The poppy has been removed which is a shame but it was never planned and nearing the end of its flowering period.  The nandina has been moved to the front of the centre bed and the rest of the perennials are the newly purchased plants - foxglove pink panther, gaura rose, erysimum 'Bowles Mauve', verbena lollipop, and still to come, a salvia cerro potosi. Also in that bed are the alliums, now going over, but soon to flower are the gladioli, sweet peas and a few crocosmia that escaped the cull.

It doesn't look much at the moment but these changes give a better structure to the centre bed and is filled with perennials that repeat flower until the first frosts. This bed still needs some ground cover plants but that will be decided later on. For now there are geranium tiny monster and the sunken pot holds some mesembryanthemum to provide a bit of colour for this year. The obelisk will be moved once the sweet peas, assuming they ever grow (!), have flowered which leaves space for another shrub, possibly a hardy fuchsia similar to the one in the first photo. Next year, the sweet peas will be grown in one of the bigger pots. The cotoneaster and the jasmine have both been planted and will be trained against the fence panels - they've been planted for all year round interest but mostly for the winter berries for the birds.

The rest of the new plants have been moved into their patio pots and the fruit trees swapped into the bigger pots my sister gave me. The mangetout didn't make it - pigeons, I think - so those two pots have been used for the new poppies, one of which is in bud so I will get some more poppies to enjoy this year!

I've decided that all of the spring bulbs will be in blue pots which meant that the four pots already planted up had to be transferred into the blue ones, so that's been done. I'll need to buy some more blue pots for the rest of the bulbs but have plenty of time to sort that out. 

The veg are a diappointment in that they are growing but not really thriving. As mentioned above, the pigeon enjoyed the mangetout so that leaves me with mint, runner beans, dwarf beans, tomatoes and a chilli plant. There are a few green tomatoes and the dwarf bean plant has some flowers, and of course the mint is the healthiest of the lot!

I'll take some photos of the patio once all the pots have been moved. I'm looking to buy a pot mover, similar to this one but I still have an old sack truck in the garage which, with a bit lot of attention, may do the job and save me some money.

Comments

  1. I clicked on your link for a pot mover and it does seem expensive and I hope you can rescue your old sack truck. Your plans for the garden sound really good, shame about the pigeon visitors though. Your fuchsia is the same as one of my three different ones and they do come back every year and it is very pretty. Your garden is looking very good with all the hard work and planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having looked at the sack truck just now, I think it's too small and I doubt it will cope with the weight of the bigger pots. I'll speak to my nephew or my neighbour first but it may be best to buy a pot mover that's man enough for the job and sell the existing sack truck as a refurbishment project.

      There are so many varieties of fuchsias aren't there. I'm finding it hard to choose just one! Thanks re the garden.

      Delete
  2. M is such a treasure & thankfully the weather held so she could get on with it. Your garden is certainly taking shape to your dream plans. We have a pot mover which folds flat for storage & it certainly saves my back when I'm moving pots about especially this summer as I get use to the big tree gone & the sun exposure reveals throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided it is worth buying a decent pot mover as it means I will be able move the pots without asking my nephew to help. The garden is getting there and there's only two or three more shrubs/climbers to buy, and then the yearly annuals .... and probably more spring bulbs! I'm eager to see how it all looks next year.

      What sort of pot mover do you have, please? I suppose you have to get to know the light changes now you've lost the tree.

      Delete
  3. Hi Eileen,
    Your garden will be beautiful. In fact, it already is. I love the first flower. The photo is magnficent!
    With all these changes I believe it will be a wonderful garden.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. I'm really pleased with how the garden is developing, though next year is when it should all start to come together.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is evolving day by day! I love those colorful fuchsias! I'm glad M was able to get all the planting done and the weather cooperated. I am looking forward to seeing how your garden does during the rest of the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the freesias and would like to add some more hardy varieties next year as some of these may not survive the winter.

      M worked her magic again. We had a long chat about how I want the garden to evolve and I feel that we've made good progress towards the picture I can see in my mind.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts