Friday

Yesterday turned out to be a lovely day. I met J for coffee before I started on the shopping which, with hindsight, was a bit of a mistake as we chatted for ages and I ran out of time to do everything on my list. We met in the café in Sainsburys as that's closest to her home so I did manage to fit in a bit of shopping in their clothes department while I was waiting for her to arrive. There were quite a few tops I liked and I settled on this one - I don't want to buy too much in my current size so, with what's already in my wardrobe and what I plan to make, I will have enough for this summer.


I bought the food items I needed and then went to the fabric shop to buy all the stuff for the skirt ... when did fabric get so expensive? Anyway, I bought everything I need for the skirt but decided against buying patterns weights - way too expensive in this shop so will look at making my own. This is the fabric I've chosen - it's blue denim linen look and is actually a deeper blue than it appears in the photo .... I have no idea why, but I can't sort out the colour in the image! Here's the skirt pattern so you can see what I'm up to, making version one (the yellow one) with the inverted pleats.



I ran out of time to go to Home Bargains so that's for another day now. I arrived home just in time for the Indian cookery class. It turned out that there was a mix up with the recipes and yesterday's offering was Masala Cheese Stuffed Lacchha Parathas ... they looked so good! I will work out how to tweak the recipe - cheese and butter in the same recipe won't work for me so I need to decide on substitutions and then I will be trying them out.

Today, I'm going round to Joy's house for coffee this morning and afterwards will drive up to the top end of the village to look for some photos for my monthly challenge. It's the nutrition class this afternoon but I may give it a miss as it's a recap on the digestive system. An unexpected side effect of getting the oven cleaned yesterday was developing this sudden urge to clean the rest of the kitchen so I think that's what I will be doing this afternoon, or at least make a start on it, and once I've got that out of my system I can start making some pattern weights ...

Comments

  1. That's a very pretty top and one I would have chosen myself. I love your pattern and seeing dirndl skirts reminds me of my youth, used to wear a net petticoat underneath and twirl around in them. I take it they did a good job cleaning your oven a service I think I should try. Enjoy your day and that should be enjoyable making those pattern weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here ... I was an expert twirler in my youth 😂

      I was impressed with the oven cleaning service. He even fixed the loose handle for me and now it looks as good as new.

      I will make a start on the pattern weights but they are filled with uncooked rice and I don't have enough to spare, so it'll need another shopping trip to finish them. I'm not seeing Joy now so I may be able to pop into town later.

      Delete
  2. Oh I do like your new blouse, it's quite summery looking. Did I hear twirling was in order for the day ... oh yes, I like a good twirl, especially the kind with arms out stretched, yes that & blowing bubbles makes for a perfect summer day! (IMO)(LOL). We are having a very typical English summer so far, except we aren't English ... lots of rain & twirling in rain can be fun, movie like fun. Interesting video for the pattern weights, thanks for sharing that. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, twirling is an essential part of summer days. Bonus points are awarded for blowing bubbles! 😀 This applies even if you aren't English but are experiencing an English Summer ... no excuses!

      Delete
  3. You have your priorities in the right order - spending more time with your friend than shopping. :) The blouse you bought is very pretty! It looks nice and cool for the summer. I like the fabric and the pattern you've selected for your skirt, too. Yes, fabric has gone up in price over here, too! I hardly ever buy new fabric unless there is a 50% off (or more) sale! Then, I tend to buy more than what I need and thus The Stash! :D

    I am now debating if I should make some pattern weights for myself! As I said before, I usually use pins, but, pattern weights would be less damaging to tissue patterns that tend to get used over and over again (I have one blouse pattern that I use all the time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determined that I won't have a stash of material. Making this skirt is to test myself to see if I still enjoy dressmaking, something I haven't done for years. If I do want to do more, I'll limit fabric purchases to specific garments and finish one before I buy fabric for the next. That's the plan anyway. Will I stick to it? Well, time will tell 😂

      Another idea for pattern weights if you want something heavier is to use large metal washers, either on their own or add one to the cloth pyramid before you add the rice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts